Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello Ladies  (Read 1381 times)

GMB

Hello Ladies
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »

I have been taking Tibalone since I had a partial hysterectomy at age 40 (now 67) and have, so far managed to hold my corner with the doctors who are determined to take me off it  :'( . The latest "talk" with my GP was last week where I pushed the info that Tibalone was originally devised for Osteoporosis, which I now have and that taking me off it could be detrimental to my bone density, and that, surely removing the tablet after so many years could also have an effect on my health. I got the usual reply about possible stroke and heart problems. The GP GAVE ME A 3 month script whilst she checks the facts, but I am not sure that will actually happen.  WOW! Sorry to lay it all on you all, but any advice and or information would be gratefully received to be used in the next round of talks.  >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello Ladies
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 06:20:06 PM »

You are in the 'right' place!  Medication costs surgeries money as well as many GPs simply not being up to date with how The Change affects women.

Browse round.  Make notes.  Ring the Surgery soon and tell them that you are prepared to accept any risks but that you want to continue with your current regime.  Push Quality of Life!  That bus might be along ...... etc., etc., etc.!

Cazikins

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »

Hi & welcome GMB,
Stand your ground GMB & try & get printed facts to take with you just in case, the other alternative is to see a different GP at the practise, you'd be surprised how their opinions vary.
Cazikins x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:26:14 PM »

Is there a Nurse Practitioner who may be more clued up as to what is on the market, at least you can discuss your feelings with her.  Or visit a Pharmacist to see who supports menopausal ladies 'the best' in your area  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »

Hi GMB

:welcomemm:

It must be worrying to have developed osteoporosis despite being on livial? When you say partial hysterectomoy I presume you mean uterus removed but retained cervix? I suppose you won't know when you went through menopause due to your hyster but as you retained your ovaries this may not have been for some years, or could have been sooner.

There are supposed to be possible risks from long term use of Livial ( or maybe it's just that it has not been studied long term in older women?). However usually the stroke risk thing is applied to women who are either at risk due to other risk factors ( weight, blood pressure etc) or who START such medication a long time after menopause and over 60. If you are otherwise healthy - I would ask for a referral to a menopause clinic - and make sure you continue to be prescribed it in the meantime.

The other alternative is to write to Dr Currie - it only costs £25 and then you can print this off and take to your doc as the expert opinion?

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

GMB

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »

Thank you all for your support. I will ask for a referral next time I go. Certainly, I will be doing yet more research.