Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello and help!!!  (Read 813 times)

Evelyn

Hello and help!!!
« on: April 03, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »

Hi, I'm 43 and have had irregular periods most of my life. I was on the pill until about 6 years ago when I had an episode of anxiety. I was on meds for that so stopped the pill because I was fed up taking prescription medication. Fortunately I dealt with the anxiety and have been fine for quite some time and am no longer on meds. I've had a number of recalls for smears, which is something else I'm going to hospital for this week. It was the nurse who thought that my symptoms and the fact I hadn't had a period for 5 months might be menopause related. In the past few weeks I've had some spectacular flushes, where you'd think somebody had hosed me down with water. I'm really struggling through the night with night sweats. I've started taking Evening Primrose capsules and last week the doctor put me on Rigevidon. That night my belly swelled up and I couldn't stop burping. I couldn't fasten any of my trousers. The pharmacist recommended windeeze type tablets. I tried that for a day or so but decided to stop the Rigevidon because it was really unpleasant. Had a funny taste in my mouth. Mt GP is on holiday and I can't get an appointment with her until May. She only works 3 days. Spoke to another GP today who said my option were limited and said HRT was the way to go. I'm considering trying Sage tablets along with the Evening Primrose. Does anybody have any experience of this? Sorry for the long post. I'm just a bit in limbo and need some sleep  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello and help!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »

U have had responses in your other thread  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:51:52 PM »

Hi Evelyn

:welcomemm:

If you are experiencing menopausal symptoms such as flushes and sweats and have not had a period for 5 months then it is likely that you are quite late in the peri-menopausal transition. That being the case. at your young age you are heading for an early menopause ( before the age of 45) and are strongly recommended to take HRT in the form of replacement oestrogen ( and you need a progestogen to protect the womb) in order to help protect the heart and bones.  Your doctor is quite right in recommending HRT - the benefits of taking it at your age is backed up by scientific evidence.

Rigevidon is a CCP and contains a strong synthetic oestrogen as well as synthetic progestogen. However if you need birth control as well, then there is another CCP which is a bit like HRT - much gentler - called QLAIRA  which might suit you better. The oestrogen component is estradiol - the same oestrogen as in most HRT and is bio-identical to our own oestrogen. The other alternative is the Mirena coil - which delivers progestogen directly to the uterus ( and provides contraception - but has fewer side effects than oral CCP. Then you could add oestrogen in the form of a patch or gel ( or a tablet) at the right dose to eliminate your symptoms.

There are various types of  combined HRT but you would need contraception as well.

Please do consider HRT for your future health and if we can help any more do please ask :)

Hurdity x

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »

:welcomemm:

Hi Evelyn- I tried various herbal supplements with limited and short lived success.
You should consider HRT given your age. The benefits outweigh the risks if taken before mid 50's, then neutral up to 60 and may even be beneficial after 60 depending on lifestyle factors x