Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hi. anxiety and jury duty!  (Read 21089 times)

Elliemay

Re: Hi. anxiety and jury duty!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »

I first rang up the number on the letter in a panic!  The woman on the phone said "Ooh dear, we aren't that scary here you know!" :-D I still got out of it though, phew!!

Susannah

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 07:51:18 PM »

Hi, thanks to all for your replies.  I saw a GP today - she was a locum and I couldn't face going through my long sorry story again from scratch so explained my current situation and handed her a cover letter I'd written for the court clerk.  All the GP gave me was a sickness line - exactly like the type you get for staying off work - with the word "court" added beside "work."  :-\ - I hope this is enough!  And she simply put the reason as "anxiety" with no notes so I'm glad I typed up a cover letter explaining the main reasons I'm applying for an excusal.  I got the feeling the doctor isn't asked for this kind of thing very often...

I really hope to hear back in a week or so from the court but might phone them to check I've done everything right and maybe see if they hint at the likely outcome so I can relax over Easter. Or stress!

Thanks again,

Su 😊x

Elliemay

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 08:46:25 PM »

Well done, you could try ringing them too. Just explain that its increasing your anxiety not knowing & ask if they can let you know asap xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 09:55:50 PM »

I agree.  I think that GPs can charge for such letters though ........ let us know won't you!

Susannah

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 04:09:22 PM »

Hi, just to update  - I phoned the court and eventually got through to a very officious clerk. (I suppose that is to be expected!)  I just wanted to know if the doctor had used the correct form but she said that was between me and the doctor.  :-\   Anyway I ended up in tears and she more or less said a doctor's line should suffice for excusal for the time limit that's written on it - in this case for three months. 

I've been feeling a lot more emotional recently - not sure if it's part of ongoing peri or that this jury citation has ramped everything up.  It's horrible feeling this fragile.

Thanks to all for your replies and support.
 Su 😊x

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 04:10:05 PM »

:hug:

Susannah

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 05:39:37 PM »

Susannah

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 05:42:02 PM »

Well done for ringing Su, pity she couldn't have been a bit friendlier, doesn't take much does it.  The least you can relax now and if it comes up again hopefully your gp will back you up again.  There's no time limit on anxiety especially when it comes to peri. 

:bighug:

S x

Thank you 😊xx

Elliemay

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 07:51:11 PM »

Yes, well done :-) just to let you know,  I havent been called since and mine was almost 20 years ago so fingers crossed xx

ariadne

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 08:50:21 PM »

I have always dreaded being called for jury duty and about 25 years ago I received the dreaded letter. I cried for days but sent off the acceptance form as I couldn't see a way to be excused. The travelling was one of my big worries as I am a nervous driver anyway and the thought of driving in rush hour to a strange car park, finding my way to court and being responsible for deciding someone's fate had my stomach in knots.

I got my husband to supervise a trial trip there but got beeped at twice for being in the wrong lane, dissolved into tears and couldn't drive home.

My son was very young then and I was working part time to fit in with school hours. The court papers mentioned recovering costs of childcare but I didn't want to arrange childcare for him, preferring my husband to take time off instead. I wrote a letter explaining this and asking if my husband's lost wages could be claimed back and to my great surprise....and relief...... i had a reply excusing me.

I still worry about being called again though. I'd be even more of a nervous wreck now.

Ariadne xx

Susannah

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 06:54:37 AM »

Yes, well done :-) just to let you know,  I havent been called since and mine was almost 20 years ago so fingers crossed xx

Thanks, Elliemay.  This is the first time I've been called and I'm 50 in July so I'm hoping it'll be my first and last citation! 

Su 😊xx

Susannah

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 07:08:29 AM »

I have always dreaded being called for jury duty and about 25 years ago I received the dreaded letter. I cried for days but sent off the acceptance form as I couldn't see a way to be excused. The travelling was one of my big worries as I am a nervous driver anyway and the thought of driving in rush hour to a strange car park, finding my way to court and being responsible for deciding someone's fate had my stomach in knots.

I got my husband to supervise a trial trip there but got beeped at twice for being in the wrong lane, dissolved into tears and couldn't drive home.

My son was very young then and I was working part time to fit in with school hours. The court papers mentioned recovering costs of childcare but I didn't want to arrange childcare for him, preferring my husband to take time off instead. I wrote a letter explaining this and asking if my husband's lost wages could be claimed back and to my great surprise....and relief...... i had a reply excusing me.

I still worry about being called again though. I'd be even more of a nervous wreck now.

Ariadne xx

Hi Ariadne,  I bet you were relieved!  I don't mind driving (that's just about the only thing I don't feel I've lost all confidence in) but for me it's the thought of being trapped somewhere onerous and unfamiliar that gets the panicky feelings going.  It's a high court citation so any case could well involve a murder or other violent crime which I'd really struggle to sit through.  I'm still using mindfulness techniques to try to calm down the whirling thoughts but I think jury service is a step too far right now!

Thanks,
Su 😊 xx

Susannah

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 06:37:04 PM »

Hi

Just to update that after writing a letter, sending a doctor's sickness absence certificate and completing the jury service excusal form I have thankfully been granted excusal this time.  The court's reply did say that I would be cited at a future date... I'm glad someone thinks the anxiety is just temporary!

Thanks to all.

Su 😊xx

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »

Fortunately, so far, I've not been re-called ........... I would take to my bed  :'(

Claireylou

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 07:04:00 AM »

That's great news Susannah. I'm really pleased that you got the outcome you'd hoped for  :)
Pages: 1 [2]