Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hi. anxiety and jury duty!  (Read 21092 times)

Susannah

Hi. anxiety and jury duty!
« on: March 31, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »

Hi

I am a newish member who arrived here after heavy bleeding last year.  I was eventually diagnosed with abnormal uterine bleeding and its a case of see what happens.  I've had a three week bleed recently but that's bearable compared to last year's antics.  I have the start of VA, overheating, joint pains and fatigue but it's my mental health that suffered the most so far in peri.

Ive had anxiety in the past and I have a hospital/all things medical  phobia and really couldn't cope at all with appointments and tests last year or even normal stuff like going to work (was off for 6 months), dealing with people or even just speaking to people in shops and banks etc .  Months later the anxiety is still preventing me functioning normally but I manage to claw my way through the working day somehow.

Today I've had a jury duty citation.  I feel almost as bad about this as I did going to hospital.  The thought of going into the city, having to park miles away from the court and be unable to leave as required is excruciating.  ( I realise this must sound bonkers to anyone who has never experienced the grip of anxiety.). I'm not anti jury duty but I'd say there's a great chance of me taking unwell in court with the stress of it all.  I have a tremendous fear of getting carted off to hospital ...

Has anyone managed to be excused from jury duty due to anxiety?  I am still seeing a psychologist and my GP keeps tabs on me but I don't currently take medication preferring talk therapies and mindfulness - these have helped but I'm still hemmed in by my anxiety and don't even go to shopping centres or anywhere I can't get away from quickly yet.  I'm hopeful I'll get over this but it's going to take time. 

I'm seeing a doctor on Tuesday to ask for a medical certificate and hopefully get in touch with my psychologist too.  I really don't want to relapse completely with my mental health issues but the worry factor has hit the roof since getting my citation. 

Thanks for reading. Any advice would be appreciated particularly if you have been through similar.

Susannah :)

Susannah

Re: Hi. anxiety and jury duty!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 05:08:15 PM »

Thank you Sparkle. :sunny:   

I'm trying not to preempt how I'd feel if I have to do the jury duty but going by recent experiences it's hard not to!

I will let you know how things pan out. :)

star35

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 05:22:14 PM »

I was excused from jury duty due to anxiety, all I did was fill in the form stating why I needed to be excused. I didn't need a doctor's certificate but agreed  they could contact my doctor if necessary. I was excused with no further questions. Good luck.

Susannah

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 05:26:31 PM »

Thank you,  Star35.  this is very encouraging news!  Maybe I might just sleep tonight - thank you again for replying.    :gym:

Claireylou

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 05:38:57 PM »

Hi Susannah,

Same thing happened to my sister in law. She was suffering terribly with huge anxiety etc. filled out the exemption form and wrote a letter. She heard back a week later saying she was excused with no further questions asked.

I hope this helps. Take care of yourself xxx

Susannah

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 06:21:02 PM »

Thank you, Claireylou.  That is heartening to hear.  It makes me feel quite pathetic making a bit of a fuss but this is just how things are just now.

Thanks for your help and support. :) x

Claireylou

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 06:34:12 PM »

You're very welcome.

And you're not being pathetic at all. Anxiety is a terrible thing to suffer from, and it can floor even the strongest of people. You do what you have to do to get you through the tough times xxx :)

Susannah

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »

You're very welcome.

And you're not being pathetic at all. Anxiety is a terrible thing to suffer from, and it can floor even the strongest of people. You do what you have to do to get you through the tough times xxx :)

:) Thank you xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 07:13:36 PM »

Yep.  Immediately I had the letter my GP wrote to the Court. That is over 25 years ago.  I would get a 'pass out' again if I were ever called.  Also I don't believe in Jury Service  :-X

Susannah

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 07:26:43 PM »

Thanks CLKD. :). My husband would love to do jury service and is quite envious of me being called to the high court.   :-\  It's funny how we are all so different.  Even without the anxiety I'm nor sure I'd have enjoyed it.

Thanks for your reply. I'm feeling quite encouraged. :)

Susannah

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 05:51:51 PM »

I agree, Stellajane - I expend so much energy trying to stay calm when I'm super stressed that I can rarely concentrate on anything else!  Being like this does make me feel a bit inadequate but I'm working on it.

Thanks 😊

Elliemay

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 08:42:43 AM »

Hello, Ive been excused jury service due to anxiety too. I had a gp note. I felt rubbish about it too but with hindsight i dont. I couldn't have sat still in there and it's not fair to those on trial if a juror cant take in anything thats been said! I know I wouldnt have. The judge would have time off too if they felt like that!

Im sure that there are times since then when I could have coped with it I but not when levels are high. We should all be excused during meno!

My friend has just been called up... the week that the festival he runs starts!

Susannah

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »

Hi Elliemay,  thanks so much for your reply. :tulips:  I'm glad I posted here as it seems going by others' experiences I should be able to gain an exemption and I feel less worried about being forced into it when I don't feel able.  I hope you friend manages to postpone his jury service so he can do run his festival - poor thing.
S 😊

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »

I've been called up twice. The first time my husband was away and I had a baby and a toddler and no access to childcare, not that I wanted to leave my children. I was excused. The second time I was about to start a new school year with a new reception class. My headteacher was horrified and was ready to get the big guns out from the education authority, but again, I was excused, no questions asked. My DH's colleagues in the police came out with of unPC statements I could have said during the selection process! That would have been fun! They must have given up on me as I haven't been asked since, even though I could have done, but now I would have to be excused on health grounds.

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »

I was excused three years ago due to chronic fatigue and anxiety.  I filled in the form and spoke to a lovely lady on the phone and said I did not feel I could commit to giving a true verdict as concentration problems meant that I may not retain all the information given.  I offered a doctor's letter but it was not needed.
Pages: [1] 2