Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Night sweats  (Read 1514 times)

Lyn Ruff

Night sweats
« on: March 29, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »

Hi, I'm new to the forum. 
I started the menopause in 2013 after having breast cancer and taking Tamoxifen.  Due to this I can't take HRT or anything which may stimulate estrogen.  I've been really struggling with hot flushes and terrible night sweats. The flushes during the day, I can cope with, but the night sweats are getting worse, on a good night I might just have maybe 10 or so, but on a bad night it can be 20 plus! Last night between 1 - 2am I had 5.  I sweat from the top of my head right down to my knees. I'm changing the bedding every day.  I have been taking Venlafaxine for just over a year. It worked for the 1st 2/3 months, then gradually started to come back, so my GP doubled the dose. Again this worked for a few months but now they are worse than ever.
The sleep depravasion is getting to me. I can't remember the last time I had more than 2 hours sleep without being woken up with a bad sweat. I work in a busy office, so being so tired is not good.
I've got a cooling pad on top of the mattress and another on my pillow. They are great for the fist 30mins or so, but when the 1st sweat starts they warm up and become useless.
Has anyone got any suggestions on what I can do to ease the night sweats?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Night sweats
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 07:57:04 PM »

Quality of Life is important.  I couldn't tolerate Tamoxifen, it made me so ill ......... also, a friend developed cancer of the womb due to taking it.  So all drug therapies have risks.

There are medications that might help ease the sweats.  The first are ADs which your GP has tried, maybe ask if there are others that are known to  help symptoms.  Some herbals can help initially but can't be taken for too long and often benefits are lost.

Browse round. 

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:04:54 PM »

Hi Lyn Ruff - you will get lots of support and advice on here.

Has your doctor mentioned the possibility of a blood pressure medication? Clonidine (also known as Dixarit) is used by friends of mine and it has stopped their sweats totally. They too couldn't use HRT. It might be worth asking for it?  I have also found this forum (apologies if you have already seen it) where different medications for flushes following breast cancer treatment are discussed. I haven't read it all but there may be something there https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Hormone-therapy/Dixarit-for-the-hot-flushes/td-p/348583  A friend of mine who is only in her thirties has been put into chemical menopause due to endometriosis and has been given Gabapentin for her flushes and it seems to be working.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »

:thankyou:  Taz2

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »

Hi Lyn Ruff

:welcomemm: from me too.

In addition to what Taz has said all the non HRT prescribed meds that can be used for flushes in women who have had breast cancer and are listed here but I see Taz has suggested one of these and you are already taking one other. The only other one that sounds like a possibility is Gabapentin - a drug for nerve pain which can reduce flushes.
https://menopausematters.co.uk/prescribed.php

Other ways which have been shown to reduce the intensity of flushes are keeping weight low (obviously layers of fat will allow more overheating), reducing caffeine, alcohol and spicy food. I'm not sure whether these affect night sweats though but perhaps worth a try if you haven't already?

There was also some research showing that Cognitive Behaviour Therapy was helpful for some women who could not take HRT due to breast cancer - again it might just be that it enabled them to cope better with flushes, but night sweats are more out of your conscious control.

Lack of sleep is so debilitating isn't it? I do hope you manage to find a treatment that helps.

Hurdity x

Evelyn

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »

Hi, I've just joined the forum and am experiencing some spectacular sweats although not as often as you. I'm waking maybe 5 or 6 times a night and even at that I'm shattered. I've started on Evening Primrose capsules and am going to experiment with Sage. I've read a bit about Black Cohosh but was put off that because of possible side effects with your liver. I've not had surgery but do appear to be particularly susceptible to side effects. I was originally given a combined pill but that didn't work well with me. Unfortunately my regular GP is on holiday and the one I spoke suggested that I go straight onto HRT. Needless to say I'm reluctant to do that. I hope you find something that works for you. No sleep is torture x

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »

I am not sure about medications but one thing that gave me instant relief when a hot flush started was a Magicool spray.  It was wonderful.  At one time I had 3 on the go, one in the lounge, one in the bedroom and a small one in my bag.  It would stop the flush in its tracks and felt lovely  :)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »

Evelyn: why are you reluctant to try HRT which has been approved by NICE but will take herbals that haven't been?

Browse round here.  Make notes. Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart how you feel as we can forget when we feel 'better'  ::).  Forewarned is forearmed  ;).  There is an 'alternative' room where you might find how other ladies have fared with herbals, which can often ease symptoms until the ladies own hormones take over when benefits may be lost  ::).

Herbals should not be taken if one is taking prescribed medications.  Some GPs prescribe anti-depressant medication to ease sweats as these have been shown to give relief for some ladies.