Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stopping HRT and coping with the fall out  (Read 11525 times)

Hurdity

Re: Stopping HRT and coping with the fall out
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »

Just to clarify re the effect on hormones of stopping HRT. During peri-menopause hormones fluctuate wildly which can gives rises to all the symptoms we know about and including mood swings, for which HRT can be taken to relieve.

When you stop taking it - the extent to which your symptoms return can depends whether your ovaries are still functioning ie whether you have gone through menopause.

If you stop before you have reached menopause then it is likely that your flushes and sweats will return as well as mood swings - because your hormones are still fluctuating - and ovulation may occur sporadically.

If you stop a couple of years after you have reached menopause (and you won't know when this is) then you do have to go through a period of hormonal change when you stop - but it won't be like stopping while you are peri-menopausal ie your hormone level (Oestrogen) will just gradually fall to the level it would have reached had you not taken HRT. YOu will however have to go through the menopause as such because the surges and ovulation etc will have stopped.

Whether or not your symptoms return in this second scenario - you cannot know - as Dana said some women still have symptoms in their 70's in the absence of HRT, but some women will find they come off HRT quite happily and experience no symptoms. others may experience symptoms for a few months and then they disappear.

If only we had a crystal ball!!!

The other important point is that many continue to remain on HRT long after menopause for the other protective benefits - notably protection of bones, and heart health. Some women are more at risk from these health conditions and so are advised to take HRT for longer than the rest of us - so it is not just about the immediate symptoms.

So in this case  - again yes you do have to go through the effects of hormone change when you stop taking it - eg the bone protective effect may decline as oestrogen reduces - but at least you will have had years of protection while taking it as Dana says.

Breeze I do agree that lifestyle measures are crucial and are probably even more important to make changes where necessary before even thinking about HRT ( depending on your age at menopause of course - so having a good diet, lots of exercise, relaxation techniques, good sleep, reducing weight, limiting alcohol and not smoking - will all pay dividends - and there is little point in taking HRT alone without simultaneously adjusting lifestyle if necessary.

If you are unable to take HRT for medical reasons there are some prescribed medications that can help and if I were in that position I would try one of these alternatives. I also tried Black Cohosh which I thought worked initially but once I got going with the menopause only HRT worked. I haven't come across anyone who has taken it at that end ie after stopping HRT. Dancinggirl has recently stopped HRT (in her 60's) and I know she is adopting a whole raft of techniques to help deal with symptoms - and she might have some tips.

Hurdity x

dkidd

Re: Stopping HRT and coping with the fall out
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »

Hi everyone...
My concern is do I need more oestrogen or less??? I'm currently taking femseven sequi @ 50 mcg of estradiol 1.5 mg per patch per week but into my last  few days of my last phase ( oestrogen and progesterone)  I changed to continuous or Conti as it's known. I felt ok for first few days then this almighty depression came..... I know I shouldn't of done it as I think it's suppressed me having a period now...I've been on this for six weeks and I haven't noticed any good things only bad like insomnia which is driving me crazy.. I've never suffered from this ever!!!! Plz put my mind at rest someone all you good people out there... The docs have given me ADS BUT IM NOT TAKING THAT CRXXP!!!!! Sorry >:( my head is messed up now....!!!
Pages: 1 [2]