Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stopping HRT and coping with the fall out  (Read 11526 times)

akd1961

Stopping HRT and coping with the fall out
« on: March 28, 2017, 05:49:59 PM »

I've recently stopped taking HRT personal choice, but the symptoms are back, hot flushes I can deal with them its the mood swings and headaches.

I currently take magnesium, just wondered if anyone has had any experiences with herbal remedies?

I've tried black cohosh in the past but didn't help

Any advise appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Stopping HRT and coping with the fall out
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 06:15:13 PM »

Black cohash may help initially but once the hormones begin to fluctuate any benefit is often lost  ::).  Have you browsed our 'alternative' room?  If herbals helped significantly they would be on the NHS ;-).

Gentle exercise.  Keep hydrated.  Eat little and often.  Headaches can be caused by the body being thirsty.  Mood swings can be eased by eating regularly or you may require an anti-depressant-type medication to even them.

Dana

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 10:20:29 PM »

Any of the alternative therapies are going to be a bit hit and miss. The thing I've observed with those who take them is that they MAY provide some relief if the symptoms are minor or during peri meno, but if the symptoms become more severe they are useless. If they worked as well as they are supposed to then more women would be using them and not resorting to HRT.

I understand you have made a personal choice about HRT, but you do need to consider quality of life. I prefer to take advantage of both the short and long term benefits of HRT. I hardly even think about the fact that I'm menopausal now because I have no symptoms at all.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 12:09:05 PM »

Hi AKD,
Like you, I stopped my HRT just before Christmas (personal choice) but sadly started to suffer some symptoms again, mostly the mood swings you mention along with chronic insomnia and a host of others.  I had an appointment with my meno nurse and between us we decided I was better off on it than off so I've gone back onto Femoston 1/5 conti (which is what I was on previously).  Although I'm only just a week into re-starting them I have to say I'm feeling so much better.  It's a hard decision to weigh up but as Dana says, it had got to the point where I felt my quality of life was suffering, much like it was when I started my journey.

Hope this helps a little......

breeze

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »

There are lot's of us who have managed without HRT, and have used 'alternatives', when necessary.

It seems that HRT is fine (if it suits you), but you still have to go through the effects of hormone change when you stop taking it. 

You pays you money and you makes your choice.

Dana

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:16:19 PM »

It seems that HRT is fine (if it suits you), but you still have to go through the effects of hormone change when you stop taking it. 

It would be no different to you stopping the alternate therapy, if it is providing relief.  If the effects of menopause are still there you would also still experience symptoms. 

The notion that HRT only "delays the inevitable" is another one of those myths about HRT that people like to spread, even though it doesn't have any substance.

breeze

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »

Alternatives don't affect hormone levels they just releive the symptoms. They help you through the process of the body readjusting. Which it does eventually but you have to allow it to do so. You may not believe this but I do, as do others. As I said each to their own.

Dana

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 06:57:34 AM »

Well if this was the case no woman who takes HRT would ever be able to stop, yet I know a number of women who have been able to come off HRT after a period of time with no problems. Other friends who are in their 70s and never taken HRT are still suffering. Everyone is different and my issue with your post is that you claimed something as fact when it isn't. That's the biggest problem with HRT naysayers.

Anyway I'll stick with what I'm doing. I like the long term benefits of HRT so coming off isn't something I have any plans of doing. It's about quality of life. I tried the alternate stuff and quite frankly it was just an expensive waste of time and I was literally suicidal. My quality of life now is great.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:07:43 AM by Dana »

breeze

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 08:02:05 AM »

I did not claim any 'facts' just my opinion.

Just as what you post is 'your opinion'.

This is the 'Alternatives section' and I can post about it if I want too.

I do not like your tone at all.

breeze

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »

Anyway, akd, good food supplements helped me a great deal. As did gentle exercise and mindfulness. There are some good books about going through the meno the natural way. Some were in this websites store. I don't know if they still are, if not just do a Google search.

breeze

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »

Found the book.  It's on in the shop it's on all 'Alternatives section'

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/remedies.php

Hope that helps

breeze

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »

Yes, couldn't agree more. Although, there are some pluses.

No periods, no PMT and no risk of pregnancy.

And, I have to say, that four years post meno I'm feeling fine, accept for the odd bout of anxiety (but I've always had that anyway). :)

Dana

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »

Actually you did state it as "fact". You said "you still have to go through the effects of hormone change when you stop taking it." That is an absolute statement. If you don't like my "tone" then don't dress up opinions as facts. This might be the alternate section, but opinions should still be stated as opinions.

breeze

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 10:54:29 AM »

I not going to argue. It's really not worth it. Life is far too sort. I have more important things to think about.

Have a nice day.  :)

Salad

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »

I thought I would go through Menopause on my own - didn't know what all the fuss was about   ;)
Then the symptoms hit  :o
I started with alternative therapies but the relief was minimal,  I was literally too ill to leave the house.
So I tried HRT and finally got my quality of life back - seeing friends, going to work, household chores: normal things.
So I agree - some are lucky to sail through no problems, others find alternatives effective but for me it's HRT all the way.
Wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same  :)
Pages: [1] 2