Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Alcohol  (Read 3187 times)

Redcat

Alcohol
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:30:02 AM »

Hi, I am wondering if anyone else is finding it harder to tolerate alcohol as they go through the change.    A while ago I started to find it less enjoyable to have a drink and get drunk with friends.  Being drunk isn't as much fun as it once was.  I thought maybe it was down to GERD issues, but maybe it's more down to menopausal changes.  Or is it just me?

Ju Ju

Re: Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:02:57 AM »

It may be as much an age thing as well. DH cannot tolerate as much alcohol now he is older, not that he was a prolific drinker and he hasn't gone through the menopause! Most of his friends drink far less as well. Getting drunk isn't healthy at any life stage. I now feel fortunate that I have never been able to tolerate much alcohol without feeling ill, but when I was young it was a nuisance.

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:09:51 AM »

I've always been a light weight, tipsy is as drunk as I've ever been. :) Hubby always said I was a cheap date!  Fortunately most of my closest friends were like me, but nights out used to be a chore. Couldn't get work mates to understand my need for soft drinks. Hey ho.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »

Quarter of a glass of Guiness and I'm asleep, I have never liked alcohol.  I think as we age the body maybe disposes of alcohol differently?

nearly50

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »

I used to drink a lot until I was about 30, loved going out and as a student would be out 3 or 4 times a week. Now I drink very little and two rums would be my limit. Never been one for drinking in the house and the thought of a night out getting drunk is not enticing at all. Glad I did it when I was young and fit!  So I don't know if it is down to not being able to tolerate alcohol, or not being able to tolerate drunken nights out!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »

Or having to be out and about at the time you would be going to bed ?  :D ...... and the difficulty in getting up with the alarm the next morning?

bramble

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 05:51:48 PM »

I used to love going out for a drink or 2 or 3........up until I hit 50. After that I could not take more than 2 drinks max or I would be sick. Now 1 glass of wine is my limit. I do so miss a good drink.................

Bramble

Clare11

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »

My drinking has definitely reduced over the last few years, more after i reached 52. Wine can sometimes tastes lovely but other times horrible. G&T is still ok but only a couple. Again could just be because i am older.
 :-\

Luigi

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:02:18 PM »

Well since I have started this journey I can't tolerate alcohol at all!! I find it keeps me awake and heart rate increases!!loved going out and having a drink just can't tolerate it anymore 😱

nearly50

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »

My biggest problem is that my stomach can't cope with beer any more, and that was all I could ever drink. Hoping I can drink it again one day, I do miss a glass of Peroni!

wombat62

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »

Yep, about 4-5 years ago it started to affect me. Was fine drinking, didn't feel tipsy but as soon as I laid down in bed I would start to feel sick and have a very disturbed night.

Now I can't do much wine but seem to tolerate spirits much better. A cocktail at lunchtime is the best as you get that nice relaxed feeling, don't feel sick and know it's out of your system by bedtime!

It's a bit much with all the **** we have to put up with we can't even have a drink now....  :(

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »

I have never been a big drinker at all. I do enjoy 1 or sometimes 2 glasses of wine but that is the limit. Always had to be careful because of epilepsy medication. When I was younger I often felt left out when others were drinking more.
When a GP does his annual checks and asks me how much I drink, I often feel that he or she doesn't believe that I have only had 1 glass in the past week.