Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2151 times)

Loonytunes

Hello
« on: March 21, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »

Hi, I'm new to the forum (or any other forum for that matter).  Up until a week ago I felt I was going out of my mind with mood swings, loss of short term memory, anxiety, stress etc etc (the hot flushes have been the least of my worries!).  I have now got a very sympathetic GP who also pointed me in the direction of this website and I have to say your comments have helped me immensely already - I can identify with so much of what's going on with other members.  Here's hoping I can pick up a lot of useful pointers to make this process a lot more bearable! :)

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:54:54 AM »

welcome loonytunes- you're amongst friends here! Good to hear you've got a great GP :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:23:40 PM »

:welcomemm:  hang onto the GP or we'll all be queuing at the door  ;D

Browse round.  Make notes.  As oestrogen levels drop off, the body may become dry: skin, nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina [for which there are several dedicated threads here  ::)] as well as muscles may Become lax, = aches and pains ........

Some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.  We have threads on exercise, pets, a funny room, VA, we talk about menopause
too ;-) .......

Tell us more about yourself: age, life-style, family ........

Valerie47

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:20:04 AM »

Thanks ladies your all so kind to reply and it's nice to know I'm not alone x I'm 47 quite active ( I have two dogs 10 year old border collie and 6 month old springer spaniel) I'm not massively overweight but I'm definitely not skinny I just seem to have put weight on around my middle and I can't shift it x I work at home as my anxiety got so bad I had a breakdown at work I worked as a teaching assistant and the pressure got to much it also coincided with my youngest daughter leaving home to go to university in London (been a tense day after yesterday's events I couldn't get hold of her but thankfully she's ok) anyway I try to eat well but my hiatus hernia causes problems with my digestion x I think because the symptoms are so real you just can't believe you haven't got a serious illness but I've had blood tests and a recent abdominal scan all fine x just wish there was a magical pill x hope you all have a lovely day 💖

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 04:46:44 PM »

Hi Loonytunes

:welcomemm:

Do tell us a bit more about yourself and where you are in menopause,  periods,  how old etc. great your GP directed you here - there is a fantastic amount of information on the website as well as interesting discussions on the forum!

If there is anything we can help with then do ask and someone will be along to answer you. Between us we have lots of experience :)

Hurdity x

Loonytunes

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 12:51:33 PM »

I have a wide variety of symptoms, like a lot of people on here, but the worst are the constant exhaustion and the brain fog.  Although I am sleeping fine I am shattered by midday and it becomes increasingly difficult to think straight, which is not helpful when juggling a full time job with the role as sole carer for my elderly mum, and running my own home.  I have recently hit my limit and visited my GP who signed me off but that period is coming to an end and the thought of getting back on the treadmill of juggling work, mum, home etc again fills me with dread.  Any suggestions for an energy boost would be greatly accepted - I'm really working on my diet and trying the little and often regime of snacking on nuts etc but am open to all recommendations.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »

hi LT- maybe you need some more time off work or could you go back on a phased basis or with different duties? X

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 02:33:12 PM »

Hi this is my first post.  I was 50 last year and was enjoying life and well.  I had suffered depression in the past due to bereavements and 4 years ago was put on sertraline it took 3 months but kicked in at 200mg and I was able to function again and go back to work.  The dr kept me on it as I felt so well.  I was also on the mirena coil and she said that would probably see me through the menopause.....oh no it didnt.  Despite being on sertraline I stated to feel unwell around last November couldnt work out why and just kept coping but memory loss. concentration was bad at work, making errors, feeling tearful.  i went to see the dr and she put me on mirtrazapine a sleeping tablet and a bit of anti depressant 15mg as I said i wasnt sleeping well.  I managed 3 weeks on it feeling sedated and groggy and with children to get to school and me to work I couldnt stay on it.  After a lot of pleading I had blood tests done for fsh and they said that I was post menopausal and had no oestrogen and by now I was severely depressed and struggling to work.  Also the mirena coil was no longer giving me progestorone.,  So I went on premarin 6 weeks ago 6.25 mg hrt and 2 weeks ago increased to 12.50mg and provera progestorone till i can get a new coil end April.  I had to come out of work and I am struggling every day.  I have isolated myself from friends; not going to the gym as I feel everyone wants you to be "fine" and the happy you.  I am walking in the woods up hills,. running, it helps a bit but I just can shift the depression.  I could live with hot flushes for the rest of my days but not depression it robs you of time and joy.  Back to the dr again (funny you never go when you are well!) who is a bit stumped when it comes to hormones and post menopuse and has referred my drugs I am taking to be reviewed by a clinical psychologist last week so i am waiting for the call..... it feels like it will never pass and life seems pointless; which is awful to say when I have a supportive husband and two lovely sons.  I just cant get out of it........sound familiar....thanks for listening.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »

Hi Borolass-  :foryou:sorry to hear you are feeling so low. The depression can be of a hormonal cause or it might be true clinical depression or a bit of both. First things first though. I don't know much about the oestrogen and progesterone prescribed by your doctor but I thought that the Premarin was one of the older ones ( not to say it doesn't work though) . progesterone side effects can also cause low mood and depression so it's trial and error to try and get a regime that works and you need to give it time- at least 3 months for your body to get used to it I'm afraid. You could ask for a referral to a menopause clinic and while you're waiting, plod on with your existing regime. I'm not sure how clued up your GP is, many aren't so it might be worth printing out a list of the HRT combos on this site to take with you on your next visit ( depends on your doc of course )
Your feelings are perfectly normal -we've all been there ( and some of us are still there whilst we struggle to get things under control) so feel free to moan away and get some great support ( maybe start your own thread ) so please don't feel alone in all of this. Things will get better- it can just take time and you need to take time for yourself. You've got your call with the psychologist coming up. Maybe it's a gynaecologist or menopause clinic you need to get in addition? Take care and keep us posted x
-

Loonytunes

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 03:24:08 PM »

I will speak to HR but am not optimistic about a change of role.  If you mention that you're health problems are menopause related it's just shrugged off as if you should just get on with it.  If only it were that simple!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »

Borolass: it should not be shrugged off!  Ask your HR how they can aid your work load, is there a possibility of a job-share for example?

Working as well as helping with your Mum can be tiring, what support do you have with your Mum?  We have an 'elderly relatives' thread here where you might find ideas.

Whatever the reason for depression and despite GPs being advised to use HRT and not ADs in the first instance, ADs may well work faster than HRT! and either medication can take a while and some juggling B4 benefit is felt.  So don't dismiss ADs, they have improved in recent years.  Go back to your GP and ask for a referral to a menopause clinic or gynaecologist who is au fait with menopausal problems some ladies see an endocrinologist .....

Also, thyroid function and aneamia blood tests should be done if someone is particularly tired.

Brain fog is 'common' too  ::)

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »

Hi Borolass-  :foryou:sorry to hear you are feeling so low. The depression can be of a hormonal cause or it might be true clinical depression or a bit of both. First things first though. I don't know much about the oestrogen and progesterone prescribed by your doctor but I thought that the Premarin was one of the older ones ( not to say it doesn't work though) . progesterone side effects can also cause low mood and depression so it's trial and error to try and get a regime that works and you need to give it time- at least 3 months for your body to get used to it I'm afraid. You could ask for a referral to a menopause clinic and while you're waiting, plod on with your existing regime. I'm not sure how clued up your GP is, many aren't so it might be worth printing out a list of the HRT combos on this site to take with you on your next visit ( depends on your doc of course )
Your feelings are perfectly normal -we've all been there ( and some of us are still there whilst we struggle to get things under control) so feel free to moan away and get some great support ( maybe start your own thread ) so please don't feel alone in all of this. Things will get better- it can just take time and you need to take time for yourself. You've got your call with the psychologist coming up. Maybe it's a gynaecologist or menopause clinic you need to get in addition? Take care and keep us posted x
-
Thats a really lovely response thank you so much.  I shall keep you posted x

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 05:09:09 PM »

Hi Loonytunes

You haven't said how old you are, and what your periods are doing - has the cycle changed in length - have you skipped any, are they heavy, light etc? As this is a menopause forum, we can advise you better if we know these things!

If you are having hot flushes and your periods are irregular then you may well benefit from HRT as low oestrogen can often cause lethargy. However there are other reasons for tiredness - under-active thyroid, low iron as well as some vitamins. Has you doctor suggested blood tests to investigate if there is any underlying identifiable cause for your fatigue?

If you are able to change your diet to lose a bit of weight ( if you feel you have put weight on) as well as getting plenty of fresh air and exercise, reduce alcohol etc - any changes you need to make will be of benefit in helping you to feel as fit as you can do at this stage in life. Even losing half a stone (I'm fairly slim) I noticed a huge difference in energy and motivation.:)

Hurdity x

Loonytunes

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »

I started with perimenopausal symptoms 2.5 years ago and haven't had a period for over 7 months now.  I am "only" 48, which my first GP said was far too young for the menopause, but thankfully have now a GP with a better understanding!  I'm making great efforts to improve my diet and that is definitely making a difference and am also trying various supplements so hopefully will have a bit more energy in the future.