Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Confused, exhausted fed up  (Read 1654 times)

fedupDonna

Confused, exhausted fed up
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »

Hi I've just joined today whilst giving in to the exhaustion of it all and having a day off work. I'm 49 had Merina coils since my kids (so for last 9 years). I've never had a period whilst having the coil, under active thyroid since 2003 and fed up!! Went to Drs last summer after having first bout of night sweats and flushes and a emotional melt down big time! Got my hormone levels checked and Dr said results suggest I'm post menopausal that was that. Have taken sage tablets which seem to help with flushes previously as they would stop after 2 to 3 weeks but have come back after about 2 months each time. I'm now suffering big time with sweats etc, very poor sleep, aches, moods and don't know what to say to Drs? Helppppp 😁

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Confused, exhausted fed up
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:03:10 PM »

:welcomemm:

Some ladies find that 'alternatives' ease symptoms initially until their own hormones begin really playing up when any benefit is lost - have a look at our alternative room?

Sounds hormonal from where I'm sitting.  Browse round. Make notes. Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  Did your GP suggest anything at all?

I am sure that other ladies will be along with advice.  Crashing fatigue can be troublesome, as oestrogen levels drop off muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  The body may become dry: inside and out  ::), we have threads on vaginal atrophy too.

VanessaM

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:21:24 PM »

Hi Donna

I wish you well.  I have just joined this forum and the support and advice from the ladies here is wonderful. 

Vanessa

fedupDonna

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:23:01 PM »

Thank you. I will keep checking discussions out on this site. I have started today a diary and written a (rather long) list of everything I've been and am feeling/suffering with. Thank u xx :o

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »

I found writing stuff down gets it out of my head ........  ::)

Jollidays

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 07:55:10 PM »

Hello Donna, hope you are having a better evening, I too have appalling fatigue, I seem to get so used to living with it that on an occasional time when it lifts (which seems to be linked to my cycle ) I feel on top of the world for a day or two. I also have the mirena coil for the past 6 months but have albeit lighter but long drawn out periods😒.  I'm new to this site too but the more I read about others experiences makes me feel less isolated.  Hope the forum helps you too x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:27:10 PM »

Hi fedupDonna

:welcomemm:

Although your doc says you are likely to be post-menopausal - you cannot tell where a woman is in menopause on the basis of FSH tests alone as they can go into the post-menopausal range even while still peri-menopausal. Unfortunately you can't tell from your period cycle either because you have a Mirena and as you have found - periods often stop well before menopause .

However at your age and with the blood tests indicating at least peri-menopause and with the symptoms you describe (flushes and sweats) - then have you thought about HRT? This is the only thing that will reliably alleviate these symptoms ( if due to menopause) and should be the first line of treatment according to the NICE Guidelines. When you say "that was that" after doc visit following blood tests - did doc not suggest anything then? Maybe you are medically unable to have it? If so there are prescribable alternatives which can work for some women.

The thing is if you are OK with the Mirena, HRT is easy - you just find an oestrogen to suit - whether tablet, patch or gel - start with a low dose and try for a few weeks. If this isn't enough then you gradually increase until the flushes and sweats disappear, and then bingo :). If you have an underactive thyroid it is also important to monitor this around the time of menopause and from what I've read transdermal ( ie patch or gel) oestrogen would be preferred. You would just get the Mirena changed after 4 years (when used as part of HRT) instead of 5 years (as contraception).

All the oestrogen types are listed here: https://menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php. If using a patch Estradot is a good one as they are very small but apparently there can be some temporary supply problems. Even if you only take it for a few years you should get symptom relief as well as additional protection of your bones and heart.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

fedupDonna

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »

Thank you Hurdity, your post answered a lot of questions. I've booked an appointment to see the Nurse at my GP practice as she's the best to go to first according to the reception. I shall be requesting HRT for sure!! Feeling more positive today. 😊

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »

Will U let us know how you get on?  Maybe take a list of symptoms to discuss with the Nurse?

fedupDonna

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »

I've written my list and will update on Thursday.  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 04:51:41 PM »

:thankyou:  Good Luck!

fedupDonna

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »

So glad I made that appointment!! My merina coil ran out in November which I hadn't realised so that's obviously not helped! Upshot after a really good chat is new mirena fitting next week and will start on oestrogen. Thank you all the encouaging words so far.  :D x

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »

Good news and hope you will be on the up after this..... let us know :)

Hurdity x

fedupDonna

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 07:11:24 AM »

Awaiting new coil fitting next week then starting on premarin. Fingers crossed this sorts me out. Flushes and aches are hell at moment😧👿👿