Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Benefits of yoga or Pilates  (Read 9747 times)

Katejo

Benefits of yoga or Pilates
« on: March 16, 2017, 08:21:09 PM »

I am thinking of having another go at one of these to reduce stiffness/tight muscles. My problem is that I find both pretty tedious and have never managed to keep going long enough to see any significant improvement despite several attempts over quite a few years. I quite like the relaxation part at the end but don't enjoy the exercises at all. I always feel that others are doing better than I am. I know that i shouldn't compare but it is hard to resist!  :D
I am wondering whether it would be better to pay for a fixed length course rather than just going to a local authority centre. Alternatively i could treat myself to a part yoga/part walking weekend to see if a different environment might help.

What benefits have MM members had from yoga?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Benefits of yoga or Pilates
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 08:27:59 PM »

Any exercise is good.  We are built to walk/run but Life style means that we often don't do enough.  One can do exercise alone but the benefit of joining a group is the stimulation of conversation and exchanging ideas.  Does your local Council organise walk for health guided walks, ours does 2 a week.  For about 45-60 mins. then the group has a cuppa at the end.  I joined a swimming group but never went so that was a waste of £50.00. I also have a treadmill ...........  :-X

Brisk walking several times a week is good.  Cycling.  Many years++ ago my boss advocated yoga and we thought he was 'way out'  ::).   But it's such an age-old relaxation therapy that it must be beneficial as long as one doesn't try to do the Lotus position straight off ;-).  I know nowt about pilates other than it's an exercise regime, how about ballet?  You would have good supervision and advice.

Most exercises can be done at home, either after doing a beginners course/class or by buying videos etc..  It depends on whether someone wants company or prefers to exercise alone.  I'm spontaneous so that I would tend to put my walking boots on, grab a coat and set off !

Elizabethrose

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »

Just signed up for a Pilates class Katejo, need to get cracking. I've never done it either, only ballet, jazz and Californian stretch so a very different pace to my previous experience. However, that was in a different life: these bones need exercising!

My daughter loves both and finds them very mentally therapeutic!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:34:02 PM »

Tai 'chi was the other idea, quite calming in an ordered kind of way apparently.  Let us know what you decide?

walking the dog

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:04:19 PM »

Cant wait to get back to Pilates after my recent hysterectomy. I find it totally relaxing as I have to concentrate on the exercises and I do feel much better afterwards

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:05:27 PM »

Any exercise is good.  We are built to walk/run but Life style means that we often don't do enough.  One can do exercise alone but the benefit of joining a group is the stimulation of conversation and exchanging ideas.  Does your local Council organise walk for health guided walks, ours does 2 a week.  For about 45-60 mins. then the group has a cuppa at the end.  I joined a swimming group but never went so that was a waste of £50.00. I also have a treadmill ...........  :-X

Brisk walking several times a week is good.  Cycling.  Many years++ ago my boss advocated yoga and we thought he was 'way out'  ::).   But it's such an age-old relaxation therapy that it must be beneficial as long as one doesn't try to do the Lotus position straight off ;-).  I know nowt about pilates other than it's an exercise regime, how about ballet?  You would have good supervision and advice.

Most exercises can be done at home, either after doing a beginners course/class or by buying videos etc..  It depends on whether someone wants company or prefers to exercise alone.  I'm spontaneous so that I would tend to put my walking boots on, grab a coat and set off !
Walking isn't a problem. I  really enjoy it and do that frequently. I have just spent a long weekend on a walking holiday in the North Yorkshire Moors National Park. I also belong to a walking group in London. However i have a problem with tight calves/ankles/balls of feet  which might benefit from yoga.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:08:41 PM »

Tai 'chi was the other idea, quite calming in an ordered kind of way apparently.  Let us know what you decide?
I did briefly  try Tai 'chi on one weekend break but didn't enjoy that much either.

i have seen health walks advertised but only mon to Fri so no good for me.

flutterby

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 09:16:44 PM »

I've been doing trigger point Pilates for 30 mins then yoga for bad backs for 30 minutes once a week, I enjoy it probably a bit soon to tell how well it is working yet. The only drawback is the night after the class I sleep really badly, cannot understand why.
I can relate to your comment about finding them tedious, Katejo that's why the 30 minutes sessions are good. A yoga weekend even interspersed with some walking would be my idea of hell. Flutterbyx

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »

I've been doing trigger point Pilates for 30 mins then yoga for bad backs for 30 minutes once a week, I enjoy it probably a bit soon to tell how well it is working yet. The only drawback is the night after the class I sleep really badly, cannot understand why.
I can relate to your comment about finding them tedious, Katejo that's why the 30 minutes sessions are good. A yoga weekend even interspersed with some walking would be my idea of hell. Flutterbyx
Many years ago I attended a yoga course which had 2 hour lessons! The first hour was on standing poses and the 2nd on sitting/lying poses. The time went on and on..... ;D

walking the dog

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 09:55:55 PM »

Oh sparkle it all sounds lovely. I have been practicing mindfulness for six month to help with my anxiety and have found it very helpful. In fact when i was in the anti theatre room waiting for my hysterectomy I used it then and it calmed me.
Age concern do tai chi classes not far from.me , I may pop in and give it a,go

Elizabethrose

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 07:08:16 AM »

Next week Sparkle. It's going to be weird: haven't been to a gym since the migraines kicked in big time! As you know I've been doing back and hip stretches to ease the pesky back problems but I've gone from ultra flexibility to old crone in such a short period of time.

I thought I'd start off with Pilates because my biggest prob at the moment is probably the fact that I've really stiffened up. I can easily break a sweat with my walking but I'm not using all my muscles for that. Jeez when I think what I could do with my body! x

walking the dog

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 07:46:12 AM »

Elizabethrose, you probably know already to do this but make sure the Pilates teacher knows your particular problems and they generally offer an alternative pose for bad backs etc. I'm sure you will reap the benefits
Sparkle in jealous of your retreat. Yes I try to use the mindfulness daily as part of my life now, if my mind wanders off and anxious thoughts kick in I find it helps.
At my GP later today so will ask her when I can resume yoga and Pilates

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »

I'm a massive fan of Pilates - it's helped me so much.   I have lower back problems and after extensive physio I was recommended to try it as he thought it would help.  I went from the lady at the back of the class that could barely move to the one down at the front who can now stretch and twist with the best of them  :)  Try and find a class you feel comfortable in and make sure they know your limitations and problems.  They should adapt exercises for you if you find them hard but you should find after a while that you can do it - and it's a wonderful feeling.  After 4 years of it I still surprise myself when I suddenly can do something that I had previously struggled with.  And also be aware, some weeks will be better than others depending on what sort of aches and pains you have.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 01:55:10 PM »

I'm out of bed, what more do you want  ;D.   Himself advocates:  :bed: .........  :whist:

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »

:clapping:
Pages: [1] 2