Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Deciding whether to attend breast screening  (Read 6641 times)

matildamouse

Re: Deciding whether to attend breast screening
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 03:35:29 AM »

There is a lot of controversy around mammograms...and my GP even agreed with me when I mentioned my concerns.

I am willing to have a mammogram even with the controversy around that...my major concern is they find something and then want to stop my HRT!!! :o :o :o I had no quality of life prior to HRT and felt life was not worth living. So based on that, I have decided to not go for a mammogram at the moment. But this is my personal decision...

Tinkerbell

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 11:39:43 PM »

That is the same fear I hold Matilda :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 04:22:20 PM »

I had oestrogen dominant lump removed in the 1990s and if I had been suffering half of what some of you here feel, I would have DEMANDED HRT! after all, that bus might be along !!!! Quality of Life is important.  Pity there isn't a dedicated Trial/Research to chart ladies who have to take HRT regardless  :-\

Katejo

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 11:20:27 PM »

Yes I am in the UK. I remember getting a letter a few years back and the appointment got forgotten about because I was in the midst of family turmoil
I was called up 2 years ago and had the stress of being called back as they were suspicious about a possible  lump. Fortunately  a false alarm but I will go back next time.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 11:21:24 PM »

I get bowel screening tests to do at home as well  ::) ...........

dahliagirl

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 11:22:03 PM »

I understand that mathilda.  However, I am also worried they will stop it if I do not tick that box.

I have found that how much it hurts depends on which screener you get in the mobile unit.  Screener one squashes boobs so hard it is like a Chinese burn, that grows the longer it is squashed.

Screener two - nothing at all nada.....  I thought I was going to get number 1 again, and after listening to her put a disabled woman through it, nearly put my clothes back on last time.  :'(  But I got number 2  :)

The radiographer at the breast clinic who did lots of awkward follow ups when I got recalled was absolutely brilliant.

I have another year before I have to go through this decision stuff again - hoping screener 1 will have moved on  ::) .  Not sure how it changes with change of surgery though?

ellie66

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »

No never attended and never would same for smear tests risks of over treatment and stress are too great for me.

Claireylou

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 06:49:47 PM »

Same here. Missed a couple of smears. When I eventually got one done there were very significant cell changes. Consultant told me it would've been terminal within 2 years max.

Respect your decision though. It's a personal choice

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »

We have a Health Service which is struggling but is still prepared to give free testing - in many parts of the World this isn't an option.  My lump wasn't found on mammogram, my Mum's was ....... she's alive at 90  ::)

ellie66

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 10:32:39 PM »

I have worked in oncology and seen loads of cervical and breast cancer. I still would never agree to be screened. I find the letters incredibly distressing and pressuring.

Katty

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »

I find that interesting Tipsydilly. I have 7 days to decide. I had a smear test 2 years ago that was abnormal after having normal smears all my life. I eventually got to colposcopy 3 months later and everything was completely normal. The aspect of finding something that is essentially harmless does bother me.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 01:32:46 PM »

Katty - I don't understand this attitude of 'over screening' .......... Tipsydilly - maybe begin another thread to explain exactly what you mean  :-\.  I had lots of mammograms after breast surgery and have had no problems since (1990s).

Maybe Katty - have this one and then you have a basis from which to work.  Something to compare against should you develop a lump/cyst?

coldethyl

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »

There are problems with any sort of screening - with mammograms it's at both ends of age spectrum as younger women are often told they are clear when in fact not due  to denser breast tissue and older women may have treatment when they'd have died of old age before the tumour killed them - personally I'd take that risk and have screening - as I've said I'd give anything to have been routinely scanned for ovarian cancer - there's nothing as distressing as thinking you might not see your son graduate with his PhD x

dahliagirl

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »

It is very complicated.  You have to read the Cochrane review and understand the statistics.

Mammograms work better as a screening tool the older you are and the more at risk you are (usually strong family risk).

Otherwise, what they find might go away on its own or not come to anything but you would get investigated, biopsied, surgery, radio/chemo therapy and drugs that may contribute to your future demise or reduce your quality of life in a way that is not accountable in the statistics.  Screening by mammogram does not result in the drop in the number of deaths that you would expect.  It is impossible to quantify this accurately, and impossible to know which abnormalities will cause someone to die, so if you have the mammogram and it finds something, you just get treated.  Some people prefer not to have the mammogram in the first place.

At the moment, the National Screening Committee feels that the benefits outweigh the risks for the general population.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 04:21:56 PM »

:thankyou:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4