Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Is it possible for your medication to stop working.  (Read 2142 times)

mybhoys

Is it possible for your medication to stop working.
« on: March 07, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »

I've been taking HRT my tablet is called Zumenon 2mg for more than 20yrs. Just last year I've noticed changes like sweating and changes to my moods. I would like to know if anyone has had the same thing happen to them and if it's possible for your tablets to stop working.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is it possible for your medication to stop working.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 06:35:46 PM »

:welcomemm:  certainly my anti-depressants can 'poop' out so I have to change what I'm taking, I expect if your own hormones are having a blip?  :-\

Tell us more about you - age, why you were prescribed HRT etc..

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 07:15:27 PM »

I had a hysterectomy in 1999 aged 32, soon after my ovaries started playing up giving me menopause symptoms so I was offered hrt and the tablets sorted me perfectly up until I was 45 , I think at 45 the ovaries finally gave up the fight and I've never been the same since .  So I'm not sure if it's because the tablets stopped working or that you've had a massive shift in hormones. 

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:48:28 PM »

Hi mybhoys

:welcomemm:

Are you also taking a progestogen with this and how old are you? On average, oestrogen levels generally fall dramatically for the two years following menopause and then level out approximately at a much lower level so at around this time many women notice the symptoms worsening.

The tablets should not stop working as such (unless you take a very high dose, as far as I understand) - but depends on what is happening to the rest of your hormones. Also your digestive system may have changed and there are other factors in addition that affect how much oestrogen gets into your system - especially oral oestrogen, so you may just be absorbing less than when you were younger. Perhaps time to try a transdermal HRT (patch or gel)?

I have more or less been on the same dose of HRT - 50 mcg patch - give or take a few mcg - and have never noticed any difference. The flushes and sweats disappeared and stayed away - now in my 60's.

Hurdity x

kenny

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 09:48:46 PM »

Hi, yes my HRT I had taken for years suddenly stopped working last summer, it was very odd, GP changed me to another one , it was awful, very low , crying you name it, went back to GP as soon as I also told her I had had 2 migraines she asked me to stop it immediately , which I did. That was last October, I have not taken HRT since then,, I thought brilliant however the last month I have started feeling very hot at night , not a flush more just as though your body is boiling,, she has prescribed my original HRT however I have started taking a herbal tablet this week and the  heat has calmed down. I am 12 years post meno. X

mybhoys

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 01:34:45 AM »

I also take strong pain killers as I had an accident at work five years ago. I'm on Morphine based tablets and Gabapentin I did notice that they can cause sweating but the sweats I am getting are totally flush like I can feel hot gradually then omg I can't handle the amount of sweat on my head face and neck. The symptoms are exactly the same as my mother mentioned years ago when she went through the menopause.

mybhoys

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 01:41:31 AM »

Hi mybhoys

:welcomemm:

Are you also taking a progestogen with this and how old are you? On average, oestrogen levels generally fall dramatically for the two years following menopause and then level out approximately at a much lower level so at around this time many women notice the symptoms worsening.

The tablets should not stop working as such (unless you take a very high dose, as far as I understand) - but depends on what is happening to the rest of your hormones. Also your digestive system may have changed and there are other factors in addition that affect how much oestrogen gets into your system - especially oral oestrogen, so you may just be absorbing less than when you were younger. Perhaps time to try a transdermal HRT (patch or gel)?

I have more or less been on the same dose of HRT - 50 mcg patch - give or take a few mcg - and have never noticed any difference. The flushes and sweats disappeared and stayed away - now in my 60's.

Hurdity x
Hi there I am on Oestrogen only tablet and to be honest I have had no problems up until now. I don't know if my other medication that I am on could be the source of my sweats. I've been on Morphine based tablets and Gabapentin for 5 yrs after an accident at work.

mybhoys

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 01:44:50 AM »

:welcomemm:  certainly my anti-depressants can 'poop' out so I have to change what I'm taking, I expect if your own hormones are having a blip?  :-\

Tell us more about you - age, why you were prescribed HRT etc..
Hi there I'm 52yrs old have been on HRT for 20 plus yrs after having abnormal cells and had a full Hysterectomy.

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 06:03:09 AM »

Did you keep your ovaries ? X