Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: lactose intolerant  (Read 3705 times)

elainediva

lactose intolerant
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:47:33 PM »

starting a new thread as HURDITY said the other thread was a bit old
i was getting bad cramps and very loose stools, my gp has been saying for 4 years that it was
IBS, but i got fed up and thought i would try an experiment, i reduced my gluten first by 3 pieces
and nothing happened so i looked online and discovered that lactose intolerance was similar
so i decided to do a elimination diet and cut out lactose
i am using lactofree milk and yoghurts and spread,after 2 days the soft stools stopped, for chocolate i am eating dairy free
chocolate--its called Moo bars, ideal if youre watching calories and dairy free buttons, in tescos in their own free from range they do white and brown buttons and they are lovely
im a week in and i havent had loose stools for a week i had cramps on sunday when i checked the food i had, it had lactose (turkey rashers from mattesons)
i havent been tested by gp but as it is working i am just going to carry on with this eating plan
and my bloating has gone down i have lost 1.5 inches off my hips since starting this
spoke to the pharmacist at boots and she said i could carry this on as long as i like
and today i have bought some lactase enzyme capsules in holland and barratt-- they are half price at the moment(5.99)

cubagirl

Re: lactose intolerant
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »

I discovered my lactose intolerance myself too. Nowadays can only tolerate small amounts of lacto free stuff. I have those tablets too, handy if out for a meal & you want to be sure you're going to be OK. So many dairy free options nowadays. I prefer dark chocolate, always have, but even some makes cannot guarantee that the are dairy free.

elainediva

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:38:47 PM »

hi cubagirl, i found some lovely dairy free chocolate, they do small bars(meant for kids i think) and normal size bars too
they are called moo bars, they are dairy, gluten and soya free guaranteed as they are vegan
they sell them in holland and barratt and if youre lucky to have a vegan shop in your city they might have them
and i also found them in morrisons in their free from aisle
they do a plain one, orange, mint, and fake honeycomb one they are really nice
they also sell dairy free buttons made by humdingers they are better than the tesco ones :D

cubagirl

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:44:40 PM »

Not so keen on the moo bars myself, but quite like free from range in stresscos. White chocolate especially, how bad am I?  ;D

elainediva

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:16:09 PM »

;Dcubagirl i guess we cant all be the same, i liked the white free from buttons from tesco too
found them a little sweet but i enjoyed them

Machair

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »

Brilliant news that should help you a lot. How are your periods are you on the home straight now to the finish line?

elainediva

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 07:19:10 PM »

hi machair
yes it is helping i have managed to lose 8 pounds since new year
im hoping i am on the homestraight now, i have gone 124 days again(nothing since 1st nov)
keeping fingers crossed  xx

Machair

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »

Brilliant news- so pleased for you. xx

Evelyn63

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 11:34:45 AM »

I am going to try and eliminate lactose as well, I have suffered IBS all my life, and its played a significant part in reducing any spontaneity or fun ! I rarely travel on public transport, " just in case" which can cause its own problems and always have to know where the toilets are, going to a concert or cinema takes a lot of planning to ensure I have an end seat !  I have thought it could be an intolerance as I know for a fact I daren't touch ice cream !!!!  I do eat a yogurt each morning which I will change to lactose free ones .  So delighted for you elainediva.

cubagirl

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »

If you can find Booja-Booja ice cream Evelyn63 you'll think you've died & gone to heaven.  Amazing dairy free ice cream!  It's not cheap, but so, so fine for a treat.

Evelyn63

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »

Thanks Cubagirl will look out for that, would supermarkets sell it, like Tesco and the like ?  last time I ate ice cream, was out at the sea side with my grandson, who was still in a buggy then.  I had to dash to the public toilet , and try and manoeuvre the buggy in as well as me !  It was horrendous and I spent about an hour back and forward to that toilet.  Never again.

cubagirl

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 06:16:20 PM »

Tends to be sold in health shops up here like H&B.  I bought an individual chocolate one the other week, yum! Swedish Glace isn't too bad which you can get in supermarkets & lots cheaper. Tesco also sell their own version of a vanilla magnum which is dairy free. Fortunately more places are cottoning on to the dairy/lactose free market.  When I first started on this journey there was very little.  Soya based yogurts were beige in colour &  :beaurk: They now look & taste more like normal yogurts.

cubagirl

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 12:00:24 PM »

Evelyn63 my DIL informed me that Tesco are selling new brand of flavoured ice cream. Well I searched & searched, found it, but not amongst their free from range - silly. Anyway it's called Perfect World. I bought chocolate chip & a caramel pecan one, both are yummy. Not cheap at £4 a pop. Good luck finding them.

Evelyn63

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 06:29:23 PM »

Tried today Cubagirl, but no sign  will keep looking .  did notice some gluten free beer though, :) not the same but interesting its available .