Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anyone had to give up work due to VA and related problems?  (Read 1954 times)

linfit

Anyone had to give up work due to VA and related problems?
« on: March 07, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »

Hi
Have any of my follow VA sufferers had to give up work due to VA and related problems. If so, has anyone been able to convince their employers that this is a genuine problem?

I have been struggling with VA for 7 months. Was working in quite a stressful job, had time off, tried to go back but just couldn't cope.

I don't think I can go back, it has caused me so many problems and emotionally I don't think I am steady enough.

Has anyone had a battle with employers?

I am 53, can access my pension (local government) at 55 but wondering if anyone else has any advice for me on this?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anyone had to give up work due to VA and related problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »

It really does depend upon the industry you work in.  Whether your HR dept is supportive .... are you able to take a side-ways move in a Dept.? 

Look at your CV and see what your skill base is.  Is there anything there that can be used to the benefit of the Company and yourself? 

Several ladies have changed tack at this time of Life and found it useful to be more relaxed.  Do you feel that you are being pushed to leave?

linfit

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 07:48:13 PM »

It really does depend upon the industry you work in.  Whether your HR dept is supportive .... are you able to take a side-ways move in a Dept.? 

Look at your CV and see what your skill base is.  Is there anything there that can be used to the benefit of the Company and yourself? 

Several ladies have changed tack at this time of Life and found it useful to be more relaxed.  Do you feel that you are being pushed to leave?

Thanks CLKD for getting back to me. I work for local government in children's service and have done for 29 years. I expected to work unitl sixty/ish but going through  VA and everything over the last seven months has changed my perspective and in truth I would like to retire early if possible now.

I can take my pension at 55 (though won't be as good as at 60 etc.) but that's a year and a half away. My real question/concern is that so few people (including medics) understand this condition and how it affects women, that they will not agree to this early exit on health grounds. Am I right or being negative?

I wondered if any ladies have been able to get recognition for the condition as a condition that impacts on quality of life and ability to function as before?

My CV looks good but at the moment I just feel drained and can't function as I used to.

Anyone else out there with any experience of this type of employment related issue?

Binbon2

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »

Hi Linfit

Sorry to hear you are struggling with VA and work.

I was dismissed from my job in November due to ill health because of perimenopause symptoms (aged 45). I had hot flushes, insomnia and fatigue. I started HRT which stopped the hot flushes but the insomnia and fatigue didn't go away. I couldn't cope at work and went on long term sick. It was a horrible time, but I am so much happier now, and think that probably the dismissal was a blessing in disguise.

It does make me sad though that there was no recognition or allowance made for my symptoms by my employers. One of the GPs I saw was also very unsupportive and told me that the menopause was a normal process and that it doesn't stop you working.

Could you see another GP to discuss exiting your work on health grounds? Have you seen any occupational health advisors? I had to see a couple during my termination process and they were both really helpful, and reassured me that I wasn't on my own. Your employer must have a procedure that they follow in cases of long term sick. It might be worth asking HR for a copy of the policy.

I hope you managed to get it all resolved

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 11:03:30 PM »

Of course Menopause is natural - but so is arsenic  ::)

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:44:27 AM »

I can't answer your question per se.

But I have bad VA and had to hugely reduce my own business due to it.

ancient runner

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »

Are you in a union, Linfit? I'd contact them if so.

peri

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 09:39:22 AM »

I'm in the same position I work for the local council in children's services and am having to take voluntary redundancy at the end if this month as the council is deleting our jobs due to a budget deficit. (I have minimized meno issues by working part-time).  However, I am 2 1/2 years off accessing my pension and have worried massively about the financial impact if this, but don't can't see what else I can do as I've been put in an impossible position.

linfit

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »

I'm in the same position I work for the local council in children's services and am having to take voluntary redundancy at the end if this month as the council is deleting our jobs due to a budget deficit. (I have minimized meno issues by working part-time).  However, I am 2 1/2 years off accessing my pension and have worried massively about the financial impact if this, but don't can't see what else I can do as I've been put in an impossible position.

Thanks everyone. I am seeing someone from the council's Employee Health Care department next week, an occupational health nurse, and I am going to request early retirement on ill health grounds due to VA and the anxiety and depression which I am now coping with.

I don't know if they will agree as I suspect people will see it as 'just menopause related' and 'that it will pass'. I will let you all know what happens. Lots in the edia recently about the number of women over 50 in the workplace now and so many workers will be trying to cope with this and work so guessing this might be, or will become controversial?!

Does anyone have some good resources which I can take with me to outline the long journey to overcome/manage VA and it's effects on life; possibly something scientific rather than personal as I think few will have heard of VA (maybe I am wrong).

Thank in advance

peri

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »

I don't have any resources linfit but would like to wish you good luck with your quest for early retirement and do let us know how you get on x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »

Do discuss with your GP ways of alleviating anxiety and depression!