Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT advice  (Read 965 times)

lizzog

HRT advice
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:30:52 AM »

I've been on HRT (Evorel Sequi then Conti)for about 6 or 7 years now and most recently have an eostregen patch with a mirena for progesterone.
I had pneumonia at Christmas and was in hospital which seems to have messed up everything, and since around October my meno symptoms have come back. I get terrible night sweats and woken up with bursitis pain in my right thigh. I also had a few weeks of palpitations but they've gone, dry and itchy vagina (ditto).
I was at the Drs for a chest check up and had an ocular migraine so she's reluctant to increase my patch, which I understand but is a pain as I feel back at square one after so long.
I've got a mammogram recall today so feel particularly grim- just wondering what I can do now if anything?

Hurdity

Re: HRT advice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 07:42:11 PM »

Sorry to hear this lizzog - how old are you now and are you definitely post-menopausal do you know?

I am not familiar with ocular migraines but this is what is says on this website about migraine and menopause/HRT:

Migraine
Migraine is often triggered by hormonal fluctuations and therefore may occur around the time of a period. Such migraine may improve at the time of the menopause. Some women find that migraine may be triggered by the daily hormone fluctuations which can occur with oral (tablet) HRT so the transdermal (patch or gel) route is usually preferred with a history of migraine.

Have you suffered from these for years or was it just a on- off? Also if you are not already doing so you should also take local oestrogen because many women need both systemic HRT and local oestrogen to deal with menopausal symptoms and vaginal atrophy so please ask for some of this irrespective of what you do about the other symptoms. These are listed here:
https://menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

As you are already using a patch then you're doing the best you can but also re symptoms it depends what size patch you are using? 50 mcg is pretty much the minimum to eliminate flushes (medium dose). Some women find that they get more flushes on the progestogen part of HRT, and with Mirena you are getting a constant dose - do you feel the flushes increased around the same time as this was fitted or just after? Also have you had a general check up because sweats can also have other causes?

Hope the mammogram comes out OK - I had a recall once but it was because they couldn't really see the results.
Sorry I can't help more than this

All the best

Hurdity x