Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sertraline or HRT?  (Read 3799 times)

Sally66

Sertraline or HRT?
« on: March 06, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »

Hi everyone

I'm in peri but having a lot of difficulty with PMS (insomnia, anxiety, irritability etc.) I went to see my GP about this and she suggested either Sertraline (to be taken continuously) or HRT. She seemed to prefer the Sertraline but said it was up to me to decide.
I've made a start with the Sertraline but it's making me feel awful - I know that's common with anti-depressants in the first instance, but I really don't think I can cope with the side effects: more anxiety, more insomnia, no appetite, pacing ...
I'm still having regular periods and don't have any hot flushes so I'm not sure if HRT would be better for the psychological/sleep problems I have.

Any advice welcome!  :)

Sally x

walking the dog

Re: Sertraline or HRT?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »

Hi sally66
I have just had a hysterectomy but up until a,few days,ago I was peri and on hrt and sertraline together. The sertraline is the only thing that has ever helped my terrible pms the hrt helped with my physical symptoms hot flushes night sweats etc .
Sertraline does take awhile to get used to I think it was three weeks with me.
Good luck

dazned

Re: Sertraline or HRT?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »

Hi a few ladies,like walkingthedog,use both things. Hrt is great at tackling physical symptoms like flushes but psychological issues much more tricky to overcome. Well I found so and obviously others have had the same experience too. Ofcourse we are all different so the decision is totally yours,at least your GP has given you the choice. You may have to try many AD s before finding the one for you,same goes for any hrt it's unfortunately all trial and error. Hope you get your answer soon.