Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Coping with Fatigue  (Read 1997 times)

Keeleyruth

Coping with Fatigue
« on: March 06, 2017, 10:28:33 AM »

:'(

Can anyone PLEASE give me some advice on how they deal with persistent fatigue.

I'm 40 years old and am on 30mg Citalopram (for sweats) and I take a multi vit, cod liver oil, B6 and ginseng daily to try and make myself feel better but I suffer terribly with fatigue. It is just crippling me and I feel like I am losing this battle which is really scary.
I've had numerous blood tests at the doctors which come back ok.... yet this is my third day in bed as I am just exhausted!!

I have a full time job and an 11yr old son and I really worry about how I am going to manage everything during this period of my life. I already feel like I am letting my son down as most of my free time is spent in bed. I do have a partner who is fantastic though, he works away from home but helps when he's back at the week ends.

Can anyone suggest anything that might help with the fatigue??? Any advice would be so gratefully received.

Thanks in advance...

Keeley xx

nearly50

Re: Coping with Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »

Hi Keeleyruth, do the doctors think it might be Chronich Fatigue Syndrome? I've had periods of feeling really tired, but not anything to the extent that you have, sounds awful.

You say you've had blood tests, and they've came back ok but do you know if they were borderline? Doctors seem happy with pretty low results for ferritin and b6 - might be worth posting the figures to see if anyone can see anything which looks low.

Take care.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »

Crashing fatigue is common during The Change. Your son is old enough to 'have the chat', i.e. Mum is really tired at the moment, what can you do to help around the house? - i.e. laying the table, keeping his room tidy, putting his laundry out ......

Rest as much as possible.  Keep well hydrated.  Exercise gently when the sun is out.  Could you be low in VitD and when did you have thyroid function tests?  Even if the latter returns 'within normal limits' a person may need a boost!

Lizab

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 06:12:34 PM »

Hi Keeleyruth. I wish I had a solution as this is at the moment my biggest complaint. I agree with the other post about chatting with your son. When meno symptoms hit hard a couple of years ago, my son was 10. I had to explain what was going on as he was very worried for me. I made the comparison to puberty in reverse. As changes are ramping up in his body also, he'll likely understand as well as anyone else can. Now my son is my biggest helper throught this. He's still a kid at 12, but he has gradually taken on more responsibility around the house and it's a huge relief to me when I'm down. There are evenings I sit in the kitchen and instruct while he prepares the meal for the family. The guilt of not doing is overwhelming at first, but over two years I now see that I'm actually being a better mother by delegating "my" jobs and teaching him to be an adult.

Another thing is don't assume that everytime you feel exhausted you must rest. Yesterday I felt like I was moving in slow motion and really wanted to lie down, but decided first I would attempt to vacuum the floors, knowing I could hand it off to one of the kids if I was about to fall over. It felt exhausting, but my energy actually picked up a little after that. So push yourself whenever possible, but allow yourself some grace if pushing isn't working.

No one feels great all the time. I have to remind myself that I used to take it easy or drag through the days for a week every month. Just because I don't have the bleeding and cramps to make me slow down, doesn't mean I shouldn't slow down now and then.

Keeleyruth

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

I have returned to the doctor today and she is sending me for the following tests -

Calcium
Full Blood Count
Ferritin
Glucose
Immunoglobulins & Electrophoresis
Glandular Fever
Liver Function Tests
Thyroid Function Tests
Coeliac Screen
Urea & Electrolytes
Vitamin B12
Folate
Vitamin D
Anti-Nuclear Antibodies

Had thyroid and hormone tests a few weeks ago that came back fine but am relieved that I will now be having a thorough blood check.

Its definitely time to have a chat with my son about this and I plan to try and push myself into going back to work tomorrow.

Can't thank you enough for your support and suggestions guys.... It really helped when talking to my GP.

Thanks again...
Keeley xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 12:19:55 PM »

Good. You are being taken seriously.

I've long struggled with fatigue, which got worse after childbirth and again with the onset of the menopause. Sadly, when I ventured to the doctors, they would send me for a blood test, which would be fine for whatever they tested for and my symptoms brushed aside. One doctor just told me I was trying to be too perfect at work and being a mother and wife! Not helpful when I was struggling to do the basics. It's hard when you have no explanation for why you feel as you do. In the last few years, I opted to start HRT, despite it being late, and it has helped, though not the full answer. CFS was suggested before I tried HRT.

How have I coped? I had to go part time at work, then retired early when I could access my small pension. (I needed 2 days to recover from a days work by this time.) I was only able to do this as my DH was able to cover our outgoings and was incredibly supportive, but financially it made a huge impact. I don't know would have happened if I had tried to carry on. I suspect I would have become ill and would have been unable to fulfill the requirements of my job. Is working less a possibility for you?

The other way of coping was acceptance. This is the way it is at the moment. I have stopped comparing myself to others. I can't do as much as some of my friends, but that's ok. My job is to be me, to be kind to me and others. I rest when I can if necessary, but do try to do things. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not. If I'm not up to doing things, then I don't. No one cares if the house is spick and span, in fact I've been told by friends that they feel comfortable here! I delegate and accept DH doesn't share my standards. When the children were young, we couldn't afford a lot. It hasn't done them any harm. They have both followed careers that do not pay well, but give them satisfaction and enjoyment. Money is not high on their agenda. And yes, I talked to them about how it was and is. I say NO to doing things that I don't want to do or feel I couldn't be committed to if I don't feel up to it. I do things for myself, like taking singing lessons.