Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan &bloating  (Read 6611 times)

jasper

Utrogestan &bloating
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:53:29 PM »

Hi - I've been on this 3 days and v bloated. Is the vaginally route less likely to do this? Is it generally temporary? Thanks as always x

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan &bloating
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 07:32:08 PM »

Hi jasper - sorry your post got missed? Perhaps it has already been answered elsewhere (have been very busy and not on forum so haven't read any other posts yet!)?

Anyway - I don't seem to suffer from bloating using utrogestan vaginally although I think fluid retention seems to be a characteristic side effect for many women taking progestogens. I always seem to be a wee bit fatter on this phase even so, but not much. There are more by-products of digestion/metabolism when taken orally so there are bound to be more side effects this route. I only take mine for 12 days max so for me I can weather the few side effects because I know I am going to have a big chunk of time without it and enjoy the benefits of oestrogen only! :)

Are you taking it all the time or cyclically?

Hopefully the bloating has settled and you feel better?

Hurdity x

matildamouse

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 01:24:51 AM »

Hi Jasper. I recently tried to switch from vaginal progesterone to oral and had lots of bloating, stomach and backpains, excess gass and sore breasts, so went back to vaginal and it all went away.

jasper

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »

Thank you Hurdity and Matildamouse,
I think it's going to take a while to work out if this works for me any better than the Zoely. Apart from the 2 months on Zoely, I've now been on Evorel 50 nearly a year without progesterone (because I have had regular and normal periods) but I realise this isn't ideal.  The reason I wanted to try zoely days 1-25 as I have been doing much better in the 2nd half of my cycle (best days just before my period) than the first half, which made me wonder if my body was wanting progesterone? If I only take Evorel in the first half (with Utrogestan days 14-26 or less) then I can't see that this would be helped much? I've been on it a week and have tried both oral and vaginal methods - I can't tell much difference but either way I do know that I am getting a massive increase in joint and muscle pain (this may be a response particular to me because of my lyme) which actually got worse when I tried the vaginal method - I assume as it's more efficient that means more progesterone? Maybe it's all too much too soon but because you can't reduce the dose, there doesn't seem much way round this apart from trying alternate days which I know is risky? The bloating is still there but tbh nothing compared to the pain over the last 3 days or so.
Glad to hear you are finding the vaginal route has such a massive impact on side effects Matildamouse.

matildamouse

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 03:13:01 AM »

I am on alternate days via vaginal route and my recent scan was very good. It can be an option if you go for regular scans.

2cats

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »

Hi Matildamouse,

I'm interested in your alternate day way of taking vaginal utrogestan - how many days do you do that for and is that something a gynae recommended for you?
I've just started on vaginal route (100mcg) and although I haven't had the PMT yet, I had a horrible night's sleep last night waking up every couple of hours to pee and feeling very edgy throughout the night.  That was night no 5.  I also don't like the way it's making me feel in my nether regions - makes me aware of that area of my body at all times.  I think it's bladder irritation as the sensation is right in the front area of my pubic bone.
I've also had the most dreadful panic when I just took my dog to the vets for a routine check.  I started to sweat and feel overly hot, I couldn't string a sentence together very well and my ears and eyes felt peculiar!  I have to confess that I reached into my bag and took half a 5mg valium as I felt like I was going to faint. 
Added to that, my head feels like it's stuffed with cotton wool and I felt giddy for the whole hour I was out walking with my dog, after the vets appointment.
Ready to jack in the utrogestan tonight as I don't want this feeling to increase in intensity tomorrow!