Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: HI  (Read 1489 times)

AliW

HI
« on: March 03, 2017, 09:09:51 PM »

Hi, Thank you for adding me to the Group.  I've just joined officially today after doing some research following the excellent Kirsty Wark documentary.  I am 50 with no children and have been told I am menopausal even though I have a slight bleed every couple of months.   I am so glad to have found this site, I was feeling so alone and things have been really getting me down recently I thought I was going mad and have very negative thoughts..  I have struggled with depression for a long time and have managed to exist somehow but this last while been bad,  been crying every day and finding it very hard to cope even to the extent I almost lost my relationship as I didn't want to get out of bed .. I cant understand who could possibly want this lump of an ugly sweaty beast.  However I have recently started Evorel 50mg patches on the advice of a doctor at the Sandyford Clinic which my GP had referred me to and am going for counselling.  (i've also got a Merina Coil) Am just on week one so far of the HRT and am hoping very much for the best, I had tried the Lady Magnet but not so sure it does help but will still use it - I've always been a "belt and braces" kinda person.  Cheerio for now ! 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HI
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 11:22:07 PM »

:welcomemm:

If you have suffered with depression, have you never had treatment?  I take low dose anti-depressant medication as well as a beta-blocka to help ease anxiety surges and it mainly works.  Although many GPs tend to prescribe ADs when ladies present feeling weepy - which is often caused by The Change - and is no longer recommended for a drop in oestrogen which may trigger weepyness: you may find that this could be your first line of defence. 

Accepting that I need a low maintenance dose of ADs was difficult but now Himself and I have a Life together!

AliW

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:35:31 PM »

Hi CLKD and I thank you for your welcome and reply. I am on meds for anxiety and depression.  doc increased dose and  I went back and am to get CBT.  Am glad you found the help you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 05:32:25 PM »

I self-medicate with my GPs knowledge.  That is, when my brain feels low for more than 3 consecutive mornings, I up my anti-depressant for 5-10 days until I feel well again.  The brain is out of sight out of mind being 'up there'  ::) and tends to get forgotten. 

Have you considered keeping a mood/food/symtpom diary to chart how you feel?  Have a browse round.  Make notes. Ask!

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »

Hello Ally. welcome. I'm a newbie too.
Hope your symptoms soon start to get a wee bit better. Don't feel alone- lots of us go through a rough time and we can all help one another ;D
not sure how long you've been on the ADs. Sometimes they are needed on top of the hormones but do give the cbt a try- it'll help you to try and deal with things differently so you're doing everything you can do as far as I can see.
Interesting to see you've been to the Sandyford so I'm assuming you're based in our around Glasgow. What did you think of them.? I called a few weeks ago and was told there was around a 3 month waiting period!
Keep your chin up x

AliW

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 10:16:41 PM »

Hi CLKD and Michelemabelle  thanks for responding and your  support.  I will investigate the diarymood chart. Thank you for the idea CLKD
MMB Aye as for the SandyFord i did have a few months wait for the appointment. Saw a lady doc who was nice enough.. Wasn't quite what I was expecting just a longer time with her than GP. Back after 3 months..  Don't reckon I feel any better yet but ever hopeful tomorrow will be better .... Hope you are doing well and