Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Safari can't get a secure connection  (Read 8509 times)

Emma

• Administrator
Safari can't get a secure connection
« on: March 03, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »

After the change to a secure server, someone hasn't been able to access the site via their old Mac.
I googled "Safari can't get a secure connection" and the solution may be found in the discussion on the Apple site:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6431361'tstart=0

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Safari can't get a secure connection
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »

BT has been dropping our internet 'out' all week  >:( ........ we've used MACs for years but as I don't log out of here, I didn't need to log back >phew<

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 05:34:26 PM »

It's very odd. My browser is opening all sites fine except MM. I've tried using Firefox and MM won't open on that either. I've tried doing various things to clear all trace of previous MM use and reset Safari etc but it just says it "can't establish a secure connection to server"!!!
I am currently posting in my iPhone which in hate doing as typing is so slow.
Emma - I went into that link you emailed to me and tried some of the suggestions but these didn't work!!!!
Very frustrating. DG x

bramble

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:21:21 PM »

Since this server issue:
 I am finding the site a bit flaky when I use my ipad. On more than 1 occasion, when I reply to a topic and press 'post', then back to see the other unread topics, the system has marked all of them READ and I get the message 'no unread posts'. If I go out then back in, it still says no unread/new posts even though I know there should be lots.
On my PC I get an error message when I do 'mark all posts read'.

Bramble

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 07:23:40 PM »

I have no issues, all is the same except for one thing; when I log in I always get 'incorrect password'.  I put the same password in again and the second time it takes it.  An annoying little trifle but everything else is just the same as it always was.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 08:34:21 PM »

It's very odd. My browser is opening all sites fine except MM. I've tried using Firefox and MM won't open on that either. I've tried doing various things to clear all trace of previous MM use and reset Safari etc but it just says it "can't establish a secure connection to server"!!!
I am currently posting in my iPhone which in hate doing as typing is so slow.
Emma - I went into that link you emailed to me and tried some of the suggestions but these didn't work!!!!
Very frustrating. DG x

Any luck Dancinggirl?

Hurdity x

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »

I'm like bramble.  I'm using laptop & tablet through Google. To find up to date posts having to scroll through forum to find them. Not all the time, but it has happened quite a lot since update.  Sure it's just a glitch.

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 10:29:21 AM »

Sound like cookie problems. The forum uses cookies to track your last posts etc. Try clearing your cookies and see how it goes.

Emma

cubagirl

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »

Cookies cleared now.  Couldn't find them, I'm not very tech savvy.  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 05:27:46 PM »

I called Apple support today - chatted with a lovely Italian guy  :love: :love: :love:- and after trying all sorts of tricks ::) ???, my problems with accessing this site is down to the age of my dear old MacBook Pro  :'( - it's 7 years old and won't take the upgrade operating system that will offer the security software required to run MM. I've been very aware for some time that a new laptop would be needed in the not too distant future - the credit  card will have to take the strain. I'll pop to an Apple Store soon - always a treat. Macs are more expensive but last longer, so cost per use I think they are worth it.
I'll hopefully be back soon. DG. X

cubagirl

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »

Close encounters of the computer kind ...... See you on the other side DG.  ::)

bramble

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »

Emma - how do I clear cookies on an iPad? I use safari and didn't think it had the concept of cookies? If it has I have no idea how to find them let alone clear them!

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »

bramble:

to clear the browser cookies on an iPad Mini:

From the Home screen, tap Settings.
Tap Safari.
To Clear Cookies and Data: underneath the Privacy header, tap Clear Cookies and Data, confirm by again selecting Clear Cookies and Data.

dazned

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »

I too read first unread post then when I click on unread posts again it shows none when I know there were loads so I keep missing things,very frustrating !  >:(