Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT and Thyroxine  (Read 2977 times)

kassytbag

HRT and Thyroxine
« on: March 02, 2017, 12:53:48 PM »

Hi all,  I am 52 years old and been on elleste duet 1mg for 2 months now.  I also take 150mcg of levothyroxine for an underactive thyroid ( i have had this for 30 years).  I am feeling better on HRT, as my night sweats and mood swings were awful, as well as a feeling on just not caring about anything.  My question is - is there anyone else on thyroxine ? I have been feeling incredibly tired since I started taking the elleste - i take it in the evening, 12 hours after my thyroxine as advised by my GP but I wondered if anyone else had had the same problems with tiredness and if so did they swop to another type of HRT?

Wonderful to have found this forum - so good to be amongst people who are going through the same things.

warwick01

Re: HRT and Thyroxine
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »

Hi Kassybag

I am taking 125 Levonthyroxine. I was using ellest duet at age 51, I am know 58 and been on varius HRT, currently trialling Tibolone . Never suffered tiredness with Ellest duet in fact was the opposite hyper.

I have suffered tiredness over the last couple of years esp in the afternoons (common with this condition)

Don't think it's your HRT.

Wxx

dazned

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »

:welcomemm:

I'm not sure of the science but I do know that hrt and thyroid meds interact so you may need to adjust your thyroxine. I know others on here use both ,sure they'll be able to help you more.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »

Hi kassytbag

:welcomemm: from me too.

When you say Elleste Duet - do you mean conti or the one that gives a bleed every month where you take two different types of tablet? If the former - then sometimes the continuous progestogen can cause continuous side effects in some women.

Also as the others have said - I read a paper in which it said that oral HRT reduced the amount of thyroxine available by raising Thyroid Binding Globulin - I've found the thread where I pasted the abstract:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30662.msg487889.html#msg487889

This means that a review of thryoxine levels or whatever you have measured would be beneficial while on this HRT. The paper suggests that this does not happen with transdermal HRT and recommends this route for those who have to take thyroxine. I suggest you ask for a test to see if you need to adjust as dazned says.

By the way I am not a user though!

Hurdity x

fedupDonna

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:04:39 PM »

Hi I'm 49 and been on thyroxin for 13 years now at 125mg dose. I am due to have a new merina coil fitted (last one was 6 months over end date!) and will then start premarin 0.625mg a day tablets. At the moment I'm feeling exhausted, horrible hot and cold flushes as well as sweats and very snappy. Hoping all may improve once on new regime. My Dr has told me to have thyroid levels checked after 3 months on new regime so will be interesting to see results.