Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Osteopaenia and fractures anybody using HRT to combat it  (Read 2637 times)

Sarai

Osteopaenia and fractures anybody using HRT to combat it
« on: March 03, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »

Well I'm 55 now just hit post meno and though I only am at osteopaenia range I now have 3 spine fractures.
I am scared witless of bisphosphonates but wondering about HRT to help my bones.
Anybody doing that route please?

Sarai

Re: Osteopaenia and fractures anybody using HRT to combat it
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »

Oh I realise it's not fun I'm drowning it in right now.
I'm considering hrt but didn't need it for peri meno so quite annoyed really.
Unfortunately I know all the possible side effects of bisphosphonates which be horrendous.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 03:33:20 PM »

Agreed. Also, exercise + plenty of dairy ........ those girls that are now dieting lack dairy products which will impact HUGELY when they get older!!!

Dana

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »

I have osteopenia and I take HRT. I also exercise a lot, I eat healthily with minimal sugar, I also take calcium supplements and I eat dairy. Currently I've lost about 13kg and I plan on losing another 7kg.

Despite all of that my bone density was continuing to thin. In my experience if you have a genetic predisposition then you can't just assume that doing all the recommended things will help. When I expressed disappointment that being on HRT hadn't helped, my doctor said that it might have been worse without it but it's not a cure-all for some women.

I used to be on Fosamax (alendronic acid) some years ago, but was talked into coming off it by a naturopath. It was after coming off it that my density worsened. I've now been back on it for not quite 3 years and it has improved considerably. If my density improves enough I may not need to stay on it all the time. It could be a case of taking it for a couple of years and then stopping it for a while and then taking it for a while again. This has to be discussed with my doctor next week.

If you have already had fractures Sarai I don't understand why you won't consider medication. The supposed side effects are exaggerated and mainly are only based on people who take large doses daily. With osteopenia usually it's only one tablet a week, although if you've had fractures I don't know what your dose would be.

Don't mess around with osteopenia or osteoporosis.  It honestly scares me more than breast cancer because that has a pretty good survival rate these days. Break a hip as an older person and your life expectancy is about 2-3 years.

My father found out he had osteoporosis after he broke a hip and that's exactly how long he lived for afterwards and it wasn't a pleasant 2-3 years.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:51:45 PM by Dana »

Sarai

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »

I had planned to help my self with exercise once I knew but I keep breaking another vertebrae. I've only known I need meds since November so not had much time for anything and bang I've don't it again.
I never wanted HRT and having reached post meno was pleased I hadn't needed it.
I've read so much bad stuff about side effects and even if it was only one in a million that is still a real person who's life is runinec.

ancient runner

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »

Sarai, why assume you will have the bad side effects? Breaking vertebrae sounds pretty awful to me, and all the other effects of untreated osteoporosis.

Sarai

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 03:23:17 PM »

I've never had HRT I am considering it, at present I have nothing but the fractures are very recent too as was the dexa.
I've decided I'm going to start a new thread for hrt advice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »

You could have continued on here  ::) but I have answered in your other thread:

The National Osteoporosis Society