Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Qlaira/mirena for peri?  (Read 1529 times)

jorainbow

Qlaira/mirena for peri?
« on: February 25, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »

Hello lovely ladies!  I'm hoping for some advice on the above options which have been suggested to help with Peri symptoms.  The worst are mood related. I don't need contraception though so would HRT be preferable? I'm looking at lifestyle changes/ diet/meditation/acupuncture etc alongside this. I'm 48 periods still regular (as were mums then they just stopped!) fibroids and polycystic ovaries just to add to the mix 😊😊 thanks in advance

Dancinggirl

Re: Qlaira/mirena for peri?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 01:57:56 PM »

Hi
If you have fibroids then a Mirena would be a good option - the Mirena will often shrink fibroids, whereas HRT can feed them. Once you have the Mirena fitted you can simply add oestrogen as pills, patch or gel alongside and adjust dose as needed. It goods to really get all lifestyle issues in order - HRT doesn't fix everything and mood issues brought on by the meno are often difficult to control.
All HRT is a compromise of benefits versus side effects so it's about finding the one that gives the most benefits.  If you go for normal HRT or Qlaira, then your problems with polycystic ovaries and fibroids you may find they get worse. DG x

jorainbow

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl. Assume if the coil doesn't suit it can be taken out easily?? I do need to look at lifestyle as I xan start with good intentions and not follow through but I feel so damned awful at the moment I have to put my wellbeing at number 1 xx

peri

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »

Hi Jorainbow I've had a Mirena put in 7 weeks ago and I'm liking it.  To answer your question the GP that fitted it told me they couldn't refuse to remove it should I not get on with it.  I add in hrt in the form of patches (evorel 50), minimize stress by working part time, eat healthily and exercise 3 times a week and I find these things combined have worked stabilized my mood and I'm in a good place now x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »

Good post peri - some women don't get on with the Mirena and there do tend to be some side effects initially that can be a nuisance e.g. erratic bleeding, tummy cramps, slight sedative effect - but these usually settle within the first few weeks.
If you look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page, in the progesterone section, you will see the info on the Mirena.
As peri has said, the oestrogen patches can be good but pills or Oestrogel are also options.  The plus of the Mirena tends to be that there are generally fewer progesterone side effects and most women find there is no bleeding or spotting after the first 3-6 months which can be a big plus. 
jorainbow - do set yourself reasonable targets in regard to diet and exercise - if you try to do too much and can't maintain it, then you will feel a failure.  peri is taking a very good approach. 
I'm a great believer in Mindful Meditation and lots of brisk walking - and KEEP THINGS SIMPLE.
DG xxx

jorainbow

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 06:10:52 PM »

Thank you both I'll look at that information  shortly.  I have a dog so walk daily with her. I work full time but have school holidays so that helps!  In terms if exercise I am setting myself 3 times a week as a target too - either gym swim or a class. I need to be kind to myself as I'm getting over/through a stressful time and I can be tough on myself. My appetite hasn't been good due to stress nor has sleep but as they've improved so did my mood. Slowly slowly. .........