Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1024 times)

Alison Craig

Hi
« on: February 17, 2017, 03:54:08 PM »

Hi, I'm Alison. I technically 'finished' the menopause a year ago, having not a period for 12 months. However, still suffering with anxiety, hot flushes, joint and muscle pain, sleep disturbance, body shape change despite regular exercise and attention to diet. I am also a Personal Coach working with women to help them through the menopause through lifestyle change. Very interested in seeing what women are discussing on this forum.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »

:welcomemm:

Do browse round to see how others manage The Change.  As oestrogen levels drop then muscles may become lax = aches and pains which in general can be managed with OTC pain relief and gentle exercise.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may dry including vagina, deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, skin  >:(  ::) ....... so be aware of vaginal atrophy which can present with urine infection-type symptoms but requires specific HRT to control it.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:52:54 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Alison Craig
Do browse around to get clued up.  You haven't mentioned your age???? As a personal coach, I'm sure you discuss using HRT with your clients - pros and cons etc.
It's great to get your lifestyle in order when the meno hits - many of us bang on about this constantly - far too many women believe HRT will solve everything - I describe coping with the meno as a ‘multi strategy' approach. Sadly so many meno symptoms won't respond to just lifestyle changes alone.  HRT is still a good way to really get the meno symptoms under control, so provided it suits you, it can and does transform many lives.  Do remember that 5 years of HRT in our 50s will protect the heart and bones for the longer term.  It's well worth giving HRT a try if you find the changes in lifestyle don't really ‘do the trick'. 

We get a lot of ladies posting on this site who feel that using HRT is ‘giving in' and they feel a failure because they can't cope with all that the meno throws at them - this attitude has to change - we all experience the meno differently - some sail through while others have to give up work and a social life.
I personally feel that if you are suffering badly with symptoms that reduce your quality of life and possibly makes life difficult for family and friends around you, then you owe it to yourself and your family to try everything that will give you your life back.
Meno symptoms can last many years, life is short -  using HRT is very much a personal choice but it's worth considering all options. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »

Hi Alison Craig

:welcomemm: from me too!

What Dancinggirl said - about lifestyle and HRT :). I'm another who bangs on about this too!

Hurdity x

maelynn

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:42:33 PM »

Welcome to MM Allison Craig! I'm new here and just trying to learn how to manage menopause but since my last name is also Craig I couldn't resist saying 'Hi'! :cancan: