News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1283 times)

branta

Hello
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:13:08 PM »

Hi to everyone  :)

I'm 52 and am officially menopausal this month, having not had a period for a year. Unfortunately I've always been a migraine sufferer but they have really peaked in the past year. They started getting more frequent about 5-6 years ago and now occur on several days each week. They aren't usually too severe but my husband has called out of hours doc a few times when a particularly bad one has got me dehydrated. Added to this, there has been an increasing feeling of exhaustion and lack of motivation over the past few years and night sweats. I also have bad skin problems which means I have to take antibiotics.

I would be able to cope if it wasn't for the migraines which can go on for several days at a time and make me feel nauseous, I also get a buzzing, vibrating in my head which I have heard other headache sufferers mention. I had blood tests and they were all fine apart from hereditary raised cholesterol. The GP told me that I am probably now over the worst of it and the other symptoms should start to ease off over the next couple of years. I really hope so, as I have had to stop working and have more or less come to a standstill. I have been prescribed propranolol and only take a low dose as I'm concerned they may be causing the lack of motivation.

I appreciate that I am lucky as my husband works and I don't, however every now and then he makes remarks about how much better off we would be if I was working too, but I can't be consistent at anything with these almost constant bloomin' headaches.

Branta :-)

Elizabethrose

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:58:28 PM »

Hi Branta   :welcomemm:                     

I'm really sorry you're struggling with the dreaded migraines, I'm no expert but as Sparkle says I've been trying to manage them since peri began so unfortunately have loads of experience with them!!

There is a definite belief that migraines that start with peri and are particularly hormone driven, tend to calm once menopause is reached. Given that the hormones tend to carry on jiggling for 1-3 years after the final menstrual period (this differs from woman to woman) there is not an instant improvement it's much more gradual.

Have you been aware of hormonal surges this past year? Are the increased migraine a result of hormone fluctuation do you think? If you've always suffered with migraine it could be that the above won't apply, though if they were always hormone triggered, i.e. with periods or ovulation you should find that they will start to calm.

Docs couldn't prescribe propranolol as I have asthma so I don't have any experience of it. I've tried many things over the years but have settled on Frovatriptan and Diclofenac suppositories as acute meds and find they help more than anything else has.

I'm going to post the links to a few active migraine threads which you may have read but if not, may offer some relevant advice.

I wish you well and please do ask if you have any specific questions. x

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,34847.0.html

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,34816.0.html

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33983.0.html

branta

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:24:20 PM »

Thank you Sparkle and Elizabethrose

I think I have a combination of migraines - triggered by hormones and other factors. As a child I used to get very sick if I walked through a perfume department, I still have to hold my breath going past perfume counters, also bright lights, alcohol, you name it. When I was pregnant I got ocular migraines for the first time, and had a few since, so think they are definitely related to high hormone levels. And I'm quite sure that hormonal changes must still be happening and are causing a good percentage of the headaches now. I always suffered from terrible PMS which included headaches, now I find that the night sweats can also cause them, they seem to start during the night. I also have rosacea/ocular rosacea which seems to be related to headache/hormone cycles, flaring up every couple of weeks. The headaches often start in my right eye which lasts a day, then go off for a day then come back in my left eye which is always worse. Sometimes this pattern can repeat for up to 9 days. My head never feels clear, I never have a day when I feel fully alive anymore.

I've never heard of Diclofencac suppositories, although I guess that makes sense, as digestion seems to just stop during migraine. I have been prescribed amitriptyline and topiramate, neither of which I take as I don't like the horrendous side effects. Also the three soluble aspirin and a can of coke, have only tried that once but no response, it is supposed to get rid of the additional symptoms such as dizziness/nausea. I find the only thing that takes the edge off it is Anadin extra.

Thank you for the links Elizabethrose, sometimes it's difficult for people to understand how debilitating frequent migraines are if they haven't experienced them, and how difficult it is to still carry out the most basic tasks, deal with kids etc. Hopefully we can all find a way to manage these migraines until they have run their course. :-)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:09:53 PM »

Hi branta

:welcomemm: from me too.

Your frequent migraines sound horrendous. I get them but nowhere near that badly - and in fact quite rarely now. It does seem that hormonal migraines can be caused for a variety of reasons - progesterone itself (which is produced in large quantities in the 2nd half of the menstrual cycle), plunging oestrogen ( which happens in the last part of the menstrual cycle and is still low at the start of the bleed), and progesterone withdrawal ( which happens just before the period starts). In addition sudden increase in oestrogen can also cause them - so you can see why many women suffer from them. If you are unlucky - any hormonal change can cause them.

My gynae GP was of the strong opinion that low oestrogen was one cause of persistent headaches and perhaps now that you are almost post-menopause this might be a factor in yours? Have you thought of trying HRT? Another gynae said to me that low testosterone (in women) also caused headaches.

If you wanted to try a low dose of oestrogen to see if there could be some improvement then it would be best to try a transdermal type ( patch or gel) rather than tablets which are not advised for migraines sufferers. In addition some of the progestogens are problematic if you have migraine.....do ask if you would like further advice on what to try.

I'm not sure why you have been given propanolol because this is a medication for people with heart problems, and I know is also prescribed sometimes for people with anxiety/palpitations. However it lowers the blood pressure so can cause dizziness and nausea - as well as having a dulling effect. I presume it has also some effect on migraines?

I well know that feeling of exahustion and permanent foggy/head/nausea - fortunately mine only last 3 days or at the most 3.5 but when I'm in them I wonder if my head will ever clear. I couldn't bear it if I was like that all the time - i would never get anything done and I know would dampen my positive outlook...It's worst when I have to work and one comes then ( I only work part-time but something I can't just not do!). I drag myself about alternating between aspirin, paracetamol with a bit of caffeine thrown in, and ibuprofen but the latter always make my nausea worse.

Hopefully you will manage to find a way through this so that they become less frequent?

Hurdity x

branta

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »

Thank you Hurdity for the welcome  :)

Glad to hear you aren't having regular migraines anymore, it's good to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I think I'm one of the unlucky ones who reacts to the slightest changes in hormones, I had a few when I was toward the later stages of pregnancy so thought they were caused by high hormone levels, and was proved sadly wrong during peri and now, as you say they seem to be caused by hormonal fluctuations and lows also. However, I haven't had a migraine for a full week - I had one last sunday and one a couple of days before that, they both went off by evening, which is a positive, as they can drag on for days. I'm hoping that now I have hit the magical year mark, they will become less frequent and more manageable.

I tried Conti patches a few years ago during peri, in fact I tried a fraction of a patch but spent a whole night jumping out of my skin, then developed a migraine, then had the period from hell, so was quite put off! Propanolol were prescribed as they are commonly used as a prophylactic defence against migraine, I think they stop migraines being caused by changes in blood pressure, if taken on a regular basis, but can cause apathy and tiredness, which to be honest, we just don't need! I get times when my heart starts rapidly beating, and I can often hear blood rushing into my head, not anxiety, it just seems to be a physical response to nothing, at those times I take propranolol, or when I am in a situation where I know I will feel anxious, as those are triggers for migraine. That's interesting about low testosterone - I have completely lost my libido over the past year, but also am capable of growing a beard and moustache and sideburns that would make any hipster proud!

I remember my mother complaining post-meno about the 'funny head', she wasn't a classic migraine sufferer but used to have days of low-grade headache and fuzziness. She also took HRT - she was absolutely crazy during menopause, and said that HRT calmed her down, she stopped due to the health scares. But she had a very different character to me, she was always very hyper, very fiery whereas I'm just indolent and lack energy, characteristics that seem to be exaggerated by menopause.

I can understand how difficult it must be having to work, I feel bad that my husband has had to shoulder the responsibility and appreciate how lucky I am that he does this, I can't imagine how other women cope when they have no choice - I've been signed off sick but could never cover the mortgage if I was on my own. It causes a lot of friction in our relationship particularly as we have a son who often says ' so and so has got a lovely house/latest xbox/new TV' etc and dad says 'well that's because both his parents work'....

I hope you're having a good day today - I always am if I'm headache free, although currently have tendonitis, another menopausal symptom apparently (rather that than migraine though).

Onwards and upwards :-)