Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newbie from Oklahoma  (Read 1858 times)

Smalltownok

Newbie from Oklahoma
« on: February 10, 2017, 03:42:43 PM »

Hello! I'm a newbie and I'm so glad to be here.  I am not having huge issues... just nagging issues.  LOL  Menopause started at about 43 for me with periods that started coming sporadically instead of like clockwork.  I had to do a cortisol spit test and then some blood work.  My doctor started me on some cream that I put on my belly (I can't remember now exactly what it was...) then I graduated to Premrin which I took for a couple of years and now for a couple of more years I have been taking an estrogen and testosterone supplements.  I say all this to say I have been on HRT for 6-7 years and I just now at 51 (almost 52 in April) to be having "break through" menopause symptoms even though I continue to take my supplements.  Does that make sense?  When I had my last appointment with my GYN in the summer she said that I shouldn't need to change my meds and that we will look at them again next year.  But... I am having sleeping issues and itchy scalp issues, among other smaller things.  Is this unusual?  Like clockwork, unless I take a nighttime tylenol, I will wake up around 3 each morning.  Half the time I stay up and half the time I can go back to sleep.  When I wake, I have a flush of hotness.  And, the itchy scalp has just had me clawing my head - sorry, gross I know, but it's not dandruff or anything because my husband and I have looked!  I have called my doctor because I'm due a refill on my meds - and I left a message that I am having symptoms in case she wants to change my meds before refilling my old. So..... here I am, at the mercy of needing a good night of sleep and a scalp that doesn't itch! :-)  Hopefully I can find some answers here.....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie from Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »

:welcomemm:

As oestrogen levels drop so the body becomes dry: inside and out  >:(  ::) - i.e. nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina, skin ..... for me it's itchy insteps as soon as I take off my socks at night, in the day they are fine.  Also across my shoulders, itches enough to wake me sometimes; and of course, as I age I can't reach to scratch as easily!

As ostegoren levels drop the muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

I wonder whether your hormones are breaking through the HRT?   Hopefully one of the ladies here will make response soon!

How's the weather over there?  (of course, now I have an ear-worm  ;D )

Menomale

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 04:38:57 PM »

Welcome from me too!

I'm no hrt expert but I agree that probably it's your own hormones... 51 seems to be the turning point for many women (me included  :(), ovaries behaving erratically! Maybe an increase in dose could help you, ask your gynae!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 05:06:19 PM »

Hi Smalltownok

:welcomemm: from me too.

You don't mention progesterone but I presume you are taking this if you still have a womb? It also depends on what preparation and dose of oestrogen (and testosterone) you are taking as to how far it works to relieve symptoms. In particular - we don't use creams in the UK because they are not licensed and many do not work. I'm not sure what you mean by supplements either? Sounds like you may be on an unconventional HRT regime so maybe you need to go to a regular doctor (not sure how it works in US)? In UK we have tablets patches or gel and the doses are all standardised.  How are your periods now?

Hopefully we can help a bit more when you can tell us a little more :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »

"wind comes rushing down the Plain" - that's common with menopause too  :-X  ;D

samweller161

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »

Sorry but that did make me laugh!  Now I also have the ear worm ...... ;D

Welcome Smalltownok - you've come to the right place ....

SP x

Smalltownok

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »

Sorry but that did make me laugh!  Now I also have the ear worm ...... ;D

Welcome Smalltownok - you've come to the right place ....

SP x

Haha... you ladies are going to make me start singing at my desk!

Oooooooooklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains!.......

I am calling to get an appointment with my gyn today.  I'm not sure when they will be able to get me in.  Sleep is starting to allude me too, and I've always been such a great sleeper!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »

Will you let us know how you get on?

Smalltownok

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 08:53:20 PM »

Will you let us know how you get on?

Yes, I sure will.  My appointment is tomorrow. :-)  Thank you for asking!  ;D

CLKD