Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sore, tender scalp.  (Read 11516 times)

Autumnlady

Sore, tender scalp.
« on: February 06, 2017, 02:40:42 PM »

Hi

does anyone suffer from a sore, tender scalp? I have had this on and off for several years. I don't feel it unless I touch my hair and lift it up. My scalp is very dry but the hairdresser says I don't have dandruff. If I touch play about with my hair the skin flushes easily. It's on the top of my scalp and not round the sides or back. My hair is quite thick.

I am wondering if it's due to hormones or lack of one?

I have switched to using Simple Shampoo and conditioner and still waiting to see if I get results.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sore, tender scalp.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 02:48:31 PM »

My scalp becomes sore if I don't wash my hair often enough  ::)

Have you tried drying your hair with a warm towel wrapped round rather than rubbing?

Elizabethrose

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »

Hi Autumnlady, hope you're well!

I don't know whether this is a constant with you at the moment BUT this is another prodrome and postdrome symptom for me in migraine. My scalp feels tender, just like how it feels if your parting had been put in the wrong place, a sort of aching tugging feeling. If it's not constant could it be a symptom of your silent migraine? x

Autumnlady

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 03:21:52 PM »

Hi CLKD

99% of the time I wash my hair every other day so I had wondered if I was over washing it, but I found the same as you in that if I left it longer the scalp pain was worse.  It's a bit of a mystery and I have tried several things to remedy it.  I blow dry on a medium heat and also use hair straighteners. These are very hot but I don't feel my hair is burning my scalp at the time.

I am careful when patting with the towel. I suppose this is something to ask my doctor about when I next go as it is here more often than not.

Hi Elizabethrose
I am not too bad thank you. How are you?
The tenderness is there more often than not to be honest so it's probably not to do with the migraine. Incidentally, only last week I found out my older brother has those aura  migraines and has done since he was a child. I new he had migraines but not the aura. Then I found out from a cousin that she too has the aura without a headache and hers started after menopause like mine have.  I remember my mum saying her mum had terrible migraines which put her out for days, but I don't know if this was the aura type and there's nobody to ask now.  So it looks like it is something from mum's side of the family. I am trying not to be so scared if I get another but it has really frightened me and even made me a little agoraphobic in case it happens whilst I am out and far from home. Are you managing okay with yours?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 03:49:56 PM »

Get rid of extra heat; ditch the straighteners for 6 weeks to see if there is a difference?!?  Any pulling will make the scalp sore.   I now wash my hair prior to a hairdresser visit as I can't bear the wafting of heat from the dryer ...... and haven't used one at home for 20 years.   Warm towel, gentle rub to remove excess drips and it's dry within 10 mins.. 

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 04:01:26 PM »

I get this randomly.  It feels like when you tie hair in a ponytail and then when you take it out it feels all pulled.  It is usually gone the following day.  In my case it could be related to stress/tension

Elizabethrose

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 04:12:14 PM »

Oh Autumnlady, I'm really sorry that the silent migraine has floored you like this. Given that you know that they won't harm you, is it general anxiety that you're experiencing? Have you chatted this through with your docs? It's certainly hugely common at this stage in our lives.

I don't get the visual aura frequently, in fact only rarely, but when I do I just sit down and wait it out. I had one a few months ago when I was out driving and I just pulled over to the side of the road and switched off my engine. I was in central London and a traffic warden approached me and I was forced to explain what was happening and that it would be gone very quickly. Lovely chap, he waited there with me until it diminished which was about 30 mins later.

Whilst very little is still known about the migraine mechanism, it's now been proven that it is a genetic condition. It was very common in my father's family and sadly I've passed it onto my kids, though saying that, it's also prevalent in my husband's family so the kids had a double boost of the dodgy genes to inherit.

It may be that these will leave you completely, in fact you may never get another again. My mother suffered with them infrequently for a couple of years at meno and then they disappeared completely.

I wish you well xx

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 05:39:17 PM »

i can get very tender patch on scalp but for me this is nothing to do with my skin at all but due to pressure on nerves in my neck ::) I have a collapsed disc in my neck and one of the million symptoms is that I can get crawling or ****ling sensation all over my head/face and random intensely tender patches that i cannot bear to touch lightly or move my hair. Generally they only last a couple of days with me and I can go months without then get it alot depending on which neck nerves are being annoyed!
So probably not much help sorry but just to let you know that tenderness can be neuro in origin rather than skin.
Have you had anyone look at the area when it is tender to see if any change in appearance?

Menomale

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »

I have the same during a migraine attack and also if I go outside and have plenty of sunshine on my white scalp without the protection of my hair that is very thin and scarce on top thanks to perimenopause. Time to wear hats, I guess  ::)

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »

sparkle, in my case it coincides with tension in my neck and shoulders so I think it could be connected.

another thing we share  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »

Change your shampoo too - SLS is in the one I currently use  ::)

Autumnlady

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 02:31:08 PM »

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. The different opinions and experiences help me rule out what I think mine could be the reason for my problem. I have recently bought the oatmeal conditioner to try so will see how that goes too. It's all a bit trial and error. If all fails after this I will have to see the doctor and see what she thinks. At the moment I'd rather not lols.

Elizabethrose, I did mention to my doctor about the effect having a aura migraine was having on me but it was a busy clinic and I had gone for another reason. I felt rushed as she didn't have the time to listen properly. If I keep feeling like this I will have to go back. It did help knowing  what it is from you and others here, and from knowing my brother and cousin get it too. It's just those few times I have had it it has frightened me so much I have had to rush to the loo, so I get worried this will also happen when I am out. Especially as I hate using public toilets. I will avoid them at all costs. Reading back about myself I am a right wreck lols. Got to laugh. I wish I could relax and stop feeling frightened of everything. It is ruling my life when I think about it. There are so many things I have not done or won't do because I am 'frightened'. It's not a good way to be, as I am sure some on here know how that feels. I live in hope! lols.

Thanks again everyone x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »

How does the fear affect you? 

Use 'baby' shampoo.  No conditioner.  Tepid water.  No rubbing ........ no heated drying. 

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 03:10:41 PM »

some baby shampoos contain SLS, I was horrified to learn this  :o

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 03:56:51 PM »

:thankyou:   Have never looked, will do when I get to the bathroom - if I remember  ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3