Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: The Surgical Menopause Thread  (Read 76501 times)

Tc

Re: The Surgical Menopause Thread
« Reply #285 on: September 30, 2019, 09:20:54 PM »

Thanks rhiner. X

Viwi

« Reply #286 on: October 01, 2019, 10:41:57 AM »

Tc - I had scan 2 months after Histerectomy - no ovaries found, but as they were removing a lot of tissue (I had everything connected with endometriosis) - and my right ovarie was small (1,5x1,5 cm - after huge cyst they had to cut half of it 13 y. ago) so he could be removed with adhensions or it could stop working long ago and was already absorbed - dunno :) But I always had pain only from right one - so it can be phantop pain. I know from friend of mine - he lost his leg below knee when he was teenager - that phantop pain can be felt this same way as normal pain would - as the pain is created not in specific place but in brain, and brain still remember that pain so it's recreating it. I would prefer that my brain forget this specific pain  ;D

And I have a question to womans from UK. I was removed from cervix screening program.. as I don't have it anymore. Is it possible to jump in to mammography program before I reach 50 y.o? According to NHS - this program was created for woman starting to have menopause and beacuse risk of breast cancer on HRT is bigger. How it works for younger womans that had total hysterectomy with BSO?

Hurdity

« Reply #287 on: December 04, 2019, 06:04:53 PM »

Bump for the surgically menopaused women! :)

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #288 on: December 05, 2019, 03:02:50 PM »

Bump for Sammiejane!

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #289 on: December 05, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »

viwi

i am 40 in surgical menopause and to be honest i do not know i haven't been offered this i presume because in theory we only take estrogen there's no risk ! if in your case u have had endometriosis then u should be on a progesterone and therefore should really have a mammogram  x

Treesrgreen

• First Flush
« Reply #290 on: June 16, 2020, 08:02:11 PM »

Hi this is the first time logging on! Be gentle 🙈 so... I'm having a total abdominal hysterectomy, ovarian cyst, ovaries, fillopian tubes and appendix taken out Monday. I had an ovary removed with cyst 20 years ago when I had c section with son.
I totally shut down and didn't take info in so need to know how soon did people take HRT? I'm 49 and have managed with one ovary for 20 years so feel I don't need a whacking dose of hormones!
Any advice would be greatly appreciate!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #291 on: June 16, 2020, 08:06:22 PM »

Hi!  Good luck.  Take a button through nighties as it saves having to pull clothes over the head when you feel sore!

Your Surgeon should have discussed this with you.  If you can't get a copy of the letter from him to your GP after the appt., do ring the Ward tomorrow and ask the Questions.  Have a list of your queries and jot down the answers. 

HRT should have been talked over but Consultants really have no idea how menopause can affect ladies!  It's a matter of whip it all out and discharge to GP who often have NO IDEA!

Who will look after you following discharge?   :foryou:

Joaniepat

« Reply #292 on: June 16, 2020, 09:27:53 PM »

Hi this is the first time logging on! Be gentle 🙈 so... I'm having a total abdominal hysterectomy, ovarian cyst, ovaries, fillopian tubes and appendix taken out Monday. I had an ovary removed with cyst 20 years ago when I had c section with son.
I totally shut down and didn't take info in so need to know how soon did people take HRT? I'm 49 and have managed with one ovary for 20 years so feel I don't need a whacking dose of hormones!
Any advice would be greatly appreciate!

Unless you have endometriosis I believe you can start straight away.

I can't think why they don't discuss this. I had my TAH/BSO in 1997 when I was 47 and got HRT about 6 weeks later, but that was because I had to let some endometriosis die off first. The surgeon told me beforehand that I would be given oestrogen if my ovaries were removed.

I would get on it as soon as possible afterwards. I had horrendous hot flushes night and day  during those 6 weeks and the lack of sleep did not help my recovery. I bounced back once oestrogen replacement was introduced.

Good luck for Monday Treesgreen. Take care of yourself afterwards, and don't forget to let us know how you get on .

JP x

Tc

« Reply #293 on: June 16, 2020, 09:56:52 PM »

Hiya,trees.

I also believe that unless there is a reason you cant take HRT or a reason to wait then you can start straight away.   My surgeon wanted to wait until my follow up appointment when the histology of my cyst and ovaries would be back. But I have heard of ladies starting right away.  I'm not sure if they would send you home with a script or refer you back to gp for it instead.

I agree with CLKD that if there is anything you arent sure about then phone and ask. Dont feel worried about doing that. It is difficult to remember everything that's said first time.

One tip from me.  If you are having laparoscopy (keyhole) surgery have some windeze to hand for the first couple of days following surgery .

Please keep posting up to and after your surgery with anything you want. 

Best wishes and let us know how you get on.

Xxx

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #294 on: June 17, 2020, 07:52:31 PM »

I had a total hysterectomy in 2016, my GP wouldn't let me start HRT for 6 weeks after the op. My surgeon was a waste of space, so I did a lot of research myself, which is not how it's supposed to work! Best wishes

Lou44

« Reply #295 on: January 19, 2021, 02:16:05 PM »

Hi is there anyone on here doing well on Tibolone with /without adding extra oestrogen? Thanks.

treeoflife

« Reply #296 on: October 06, 2023, 10:40:50 AM »

Hi

I have been in surgical menopause since 2017 for pmdd.

Was on 200mcg Estradot patches for 6 years and then started on hrt implants in January this year.

I Had third estrogen and testosterone implant a couple of weeks ago.

I am still having cycle related symptoms and menopause symptoms.

My estrogen level has gone from 252 on the first implant to 286 on the second one. Testosterone is 1

Does anyone have any advice on hrt implants?

Thank you

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]