Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2217 times)

Yorkshire Girl

« on: January 17, 2017, 03:02:32 PM »

Hello, I have only just joined. Some background for you I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo oophorectomy for severe PMS on 6th Dec 2016, so going through a surgical menopause. I've been having hot flushes since April last year when I was put on Zoladex, but since op they are a lot more intense, night sweats started one week post op & stopped around 28th Dec and had no more also no other symptoms. My GP wants to put me on hrt patches because of my age 44 & the fact I'm high risk of osteoporosis. I'm not keen on putting hormones back in my body when they were the cause of my TAH BSO & as I've mentioned not suffering with any other problems. Can anyone please offer me some advice? Thanks. Hopefully I will get the hang of these forums & be able to find out more info!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:07:59 PM »

:welcomemm: sometimes I despair that patients aren't given information prior to surgical intervention  :bang: :bang: :bang: and your GP is correct, you will need HRT cover to protect heart and bones. 

There are many ladies here who have been plunged into menopause as you describe.  I think too if you look at the Daisy web-site you will find info there which may be appropriate.  [details on this Forum somewhere].  I think that there are ways of avoiding the hormones that caused such an upheaval as you won't require progesterone.

Take care following surgery, don't try to run B4 you can walk!  Gentle exercise.  A treat twice a day (for me it's a bubble bath in the evening ;-) ), eat well and keep posting!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:24:39 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Yorkshire Girl
CKLD is right.
You need the oestrogen - so do as your doctor has suggested.  You'll only need oestrogen which is the ‘feel good' hormone.  It tends to be progesterone that causes PMT etc. It won't be like before - you will use a steady amount of oestrogen that will reduce your flushes and make you feel much better. You can use pills, patch or Oestrogel and you'll be surprised at how good you feel within few short weeks.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »

:thankyou:  DG

Some ladies find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful too!  Let us know how you get on.

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:39:56 PM »

Thank you all for the welcome. I've read so much today I think my brain is ready to explode. Happier now to go on hrt patches. Will see how it goes once I get prescription. Thanks ladies.

samweller161

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 12:28:39 PM »

A friend of mine tried alendronic acid tablets as she didn't take HRT and is a teeny weeny ickle lady (not sure of correct spelling) to over come any loss of bone density. But if you can take HRT (and they come in very low doses to start off with), then it might be worth a go? 

This forum is great, I read it every day!

SP X

donnacrichton

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 05:27:33 PM »

Hi I am in a very similar situation. I was on zoladex but own hormones kept creeping in so moved onto a nasal spray which works when I manage to take it correctly. Did they make you stop hrt before the operation as this sounds awful? I really want ovarie removed but scared to make situation worse. My problem has been massive hormone fluctuations. I would be great full for any advice xx
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:22:18 PM by donnacrichton »