Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coconut Oil  (Read 13049 times)

babyjane

Coconut Oil
« on: December 30, 2016, 02:45:57 PM »

I read about coconut oil on this forum a while back, that it can be helpful for all sorts of things including constipation.  I decided to get some and since then I have used it successfully to sooth a vaginal tear whilst it healed and it certainly does help with constipation.  I have not had a day's trouble since a few days after starting to use it.

I just have a quarter of a teaspoonful melted in my porridge each morning, that's all.  I started with a half teaspoon but I got tummy pains and went to the loo rather too much!  :o

thank you to the members who took time to recommend this product.  I have not tried it as a sexual lubricant but I am sure it is just as effective for that as well  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coconut Oil
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »

I love coconut milk to drink, it's creamy as the whole milk/nut is crushed into a can.    :-*

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 05:49:45 PM »

I use coconut oil for moisturisering and as a deodorant after shaving. I didn't know it helped with constipation. I do use it for cooking some dishes and haven't noticed any difference, but I'll give it a try.

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »

After 8 weeks I have also noticed that my dry eyes are so very much better and I am not slathering on the hand cream as much as my hands are not so dry  :)

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 01:56:18 PM »

Yes, yes Sparkle.  When I had a split in the skin by my vagina I found it incredibly soothing whilst it healed.  It certainly won't hurt you.  Maybe check the use by date hasn't expired.  x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »

I'm a bit slow this evening - by dropping a small amount into your breakfast you have found your eyes are less dry?  Mine wake me in the night, with a feeling of grit behind the eye-lids and very sore ....... would it help?

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »

Yes CLKD that's exactly it, half a teaspoon in my porridge each morning and I no longer use my eye drops twice a day but once a day and they don't burn or feel gritty.  the same happened with fish oils but they gave me heartburn.  My bowels are also more friendly and no longer need coaxing  :)

Sounds ridiculous and I would not have believed it if I read it myself.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 04:27:40 PM »

hope it helps sparkle x

pj44

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »

I brought a jar of coconut oil from aldi today and was wondering what I could use it for.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 07:12:22 PM »

Why did you buy it B4 having an idea of what to use it for  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 04:49:06 PM »

Saw a piece on 'Truth or Scare' this morning with Gloria Hunniford and coconut oil was discussed.  Apparently it is 92% saturated fat!!!!  Far better to be using olive oil or even butter or lard!  So I don't think I'll be cooking with it any time soon.

S x

https://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

'Coconut oil has been demonized in the past because it contains saturated fat.

In fact, coconut oil is one of the richest sources of saturated fat known to man, with almost 90% of the fatty acids in it being saturated (1).

However, new data is showing that saturated fats are mostly harmless. Many studies with hundreds of thousands of people have found no link to heart disease (2).

Additionally, coconut oil doesn't contain your average saturated fats, like the ones you would find in cheese or steak.

They contain Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) – which are fatty acids of a medium length.

Most of the fatty acids in the diet are long-chain fatty acids, but the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil are metabolized differently.

They go straight to the liver from the digestive tract, where they are used as a quick source of energy or turned into so-called ketones, which can have therapeutic effects on brain disorders like epilepsy and Alzheimer's'.

Menomale

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »

Thanks for the link/info, babyjane.

All I can contribute from a Brazilian tropical point of view is that since coconuts have been brought here by the first Portuguese ships in 1553, this plant has thrived and been part of our culture/health in many ways and none of them are negative. When I caught dengue fever almost a year ago I would have starved if not for coconut water, I couldn't eat anything for 14 days.

pj44

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 08:12:55 PM »

Brought it as it was so cheap, just thought I'm bound to find a reason to use it  ;D I had a teaspoon in my breakfast today

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »

well its cured my constipation so it gets the thumbs up from me  :)

SandJ

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 11:25:04 PM »

I think coconut oil/butter is incredible for many things - including helping keep herpes at bay.
I started using it instead of butter or olive oil, spreading it thickly on rice cakes. Yum, loved it.
However, i discovered it was making my hot flushes worse. I thought it helped balance hormones (thyroid in particular)... and maybe it does in some women.
I was digging deep into the internet to try to find help for hot flushes, and found a forum where a few women stated it was making flushes worse. I immediately stopped eating it and noticed a difference almost straightaway. I still have horrible hot flushes (just started HRT), but not as many as I was having when I ate coconut oil. Now, it's important to state I was eating a LOT - about 2 tablespoons a day. I haven't risked taking smaller amounts to test if it's OK to do that. It's a pity, as I do think it's a good fat to eat :(
I don't think it affects all women in this way, but just wanted to share this as an FYI here.
Pages: [1] 2