Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New today  (Read 2488 times)

Cathh3110

New today
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:24:32 PM »

Hi Everyone, I am new to this site but have really got a lot from reading people's experiences.
I am 53 and have always had very heavy periods. I am not sure how long I have been peri but periods have never stopped, in fact have become more frequent, every 3 weeks, and extremely heavy (with awful clots). I have tried herbal remedies but I think my body just got used to them over time. In the last 6 months the headaches, anxiety, hot flushes, sleeplessness and joint pain have become worse. My Doctor suggested a Mirena coil and although I went for the consultation in August, I am still trying to get one fitted as I am never at the right place in my cycle for the appointment. This is a service which is outsourced and they tell me when the next appointment is, I cant tell them when it would be convenient. I am on the waiting list and awaiting a text with my appointment.
Last month I was at the end of my tether and crying all the time, so against my better judgement I agreed to a 3 month course of HRT. Yes I am one of those people who thought I would do it naturally.
I started on Elleste duet 1mg and I really thought they weren't doing me any good, until this weekend when all my symptoms came back and I was an emotional wreck again. This was after taking 7 of the green tablets. I now have 2 more green tablets to take then will go back onto the white ones when I hope to start feeling better again. After talking to the Dr he has made a few suggestions regarding patches etc but still wants me to try and get the mirena fitted.

Maryjane

Re: New today
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »

I think your local GUM clinic could fit the coil ?

Jinja

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 04:41:34 PM »

My local sexual health clinic fitted my mirena although I was told by the nurse there to lie and say it was for contraception and not hrt. I was never told it had to be at a specific time in my cycle it would have been hard anyway as my periods had become very unpredictable

Cathh3110

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 04:43:54 PM »

Thanks Maryjane and it is the sexual health clinic where I am trying to get it fitted, unfortunately there is a waiting list and you just get the next appointment and they text you with the details. As of today, they haven't released any appointments for next week, then when they set some up they just work down the list.
They don't do them as a walk-in, the Dr needs to fit it. When I asked how long the waiting list is I was told - 4 pages!  :)
Jinja - yes my cycle is unpredictable that's why its been so problematic.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »

Hi Cathh3110

:welcomemm:

If your periods have become heavier and closer together then strictly speaking you are in the late reproductive stage  when the ovaries are still functioning but hormones begin to go awry, just before the cycle gets longer and you start  to skip periods as the peri-menopausal transition begins. Some authorities class it all as peri-menopause although then it's difficult to say exactly when it starts! During the stage you are at (shorter cycles) many women experience mood swings and worsening pms because hormone levels do surge up and down.

Here is a good article about it:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

re the Mirena - sounds like this is a really good idea at this stage because it will sort out the heavy bleeding and also as menopausal symptoms such as flushes and sweats kick in as oestrogen levels fall - you will be able to top it up starting with a low dose and gradually increasing as you get further into peri-menopause - either as an oestrogen tablet, patch or gel.

The Elleste Duet does not agree with some women due to the progestogen part of the combo (I presume these are the green tablets?).

I thought I would do it naturally as well, but went onto HRT at nearly 54 and still on it in my 50's. No regrets - and at least what I use is bio-identical - that is the same hormones that my body produces and all on the NHS!

Let us know how you get on  and hope you feel better soon :)

Hurdity x