Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thumb Arthritis  (Read 2229 times)

mazzy

Thumb Arthritis
« on: November 21, 2016, 11:51:42 PM »

Has anyone had or know of anyone who has had a Trapeziumectomy done on their thumbs.  I am due to have one done on the 9th December and getting very nervous about it now as it is my right hand and I am right handed.

I have been in a lot of pain for a long time now with it and having trouble sleeping at night with it.  I have had Steroid injections but they didn't work and my Consultant has now said that surgery is my best choice.

Its the worst time of year to have it done especially with Christmas coming up but my family have all offered to help.  I am being kept in this time overnight, as when I had my Carpal Tunnel surgery done 2years go I collapsed when I came home after my BP crashed and I was taken to A and E by Paramedics, so that is playing on my mind too.

Need a bit of reassurance from someone who has been through it themselves.

Mazzy

Taz2

Re: Thumb Arthritis
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 12:10:05 AM »

Hi - one of my work colleagues has had both thumbs done due to RA. She was fine with the surgery. Had it done on the Friday and was back in work on Monday. It did reduce her pain considerably. I can probably find out more tomorrow if you want?

Taz x

mazzy

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:26:20 AM »

Thanks Tax. That would be great. Can you ask her what the pain was like after surgery and how long before you can drive

Mazzy x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 08:06:09 AM »

Ok - will do

Taz  x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 08:09:24 AM »

Hi Mazzy  - sorry for the delay. My work colleague said it definitely made a huge difference to her pain and she would have no hesitation in recommending it. It doesn't last forever though and, five years on, she feels that she has probably had the best of it now.

She had the first one done on a Friday and was back at work on the Monday - although she did drive with the splint still on against recommendations. The second one was done on a Tuesday and she was back at work on the Friday. She was determined not to take much time off work but I think the advice is to maybe take a few more days to recover than she allowed herself. She is very driven, works full time and also has a family still at home and is determined that RA won't stop her doing what she wants to do.

Hope this helps.

Taz x

mazzy

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 03:26:51 PM »

Thank you Taz. I don't work know which will be a great help but have been told that I can't drive for 6 weeks. That will drive me up the wall because I like to be independent and hate asking others to do things for me but have no choice with Christmas coming up.

Will be glad when its all over. I am lucky as only my right hand is affected at the moment anyway.

Mazzy x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 06:10:52 PM »

Driving following surgery is not advised as the Insurance is probably null and void !

Pre-surgery nerves are 'normal' …….  :bighug:

mazzy

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 10:01:19 PM »

Hi CLKD

My family won't let me drive anyway. They have a list of friends and family lined up as chauffeurs if  have to go anywhere.

Mazzy

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 10:03:06 PM »

I'll bring the Rolls round Maaa'm ;-)

I hope that this procedure gives you the relieve you require!