Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Any thoughts on Homeopathy  (Read 18312 times)

bmac

Re: Any thoughts on Homeopathy
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »

I had the usual symptoms, hot flushes, night sweats, insomnia, tiredness etc. I was reluctant to try HRT so decided, although I was not a believer in homeopathy, to give it a go. I had an initial half hour consultation with a medical herbalist at Napiers Herbalists in the West End of Glasgow ( Cresswell St, just off Byres Rd. A herbal medicine, prescribed to address my individual symptoms was made up which I collected several days later. Details were kept on computer so I could phone for repeat prescriptions.
At the time, a very large bottle, a months supply, cost £25. The initial consultation cost £25. This was some years ago so no doubt will have increased.
It tasted foul and for the first few weeks I noticed no difference but, because I had spent money I persevered! The medical herbalist told me it was a very gentle treatment and would take time to have an effect.
It was so gradual I didn't notice at first but gradually I noticed the night sweats and hot flushes reduced in frequency and after 3 months of treatment they were few and far between and eventually disappeared. I was delighted and persevered with the medicine for several years till my menopause was finished. I now am much more open to considering herbal and homeopathic medicines . There's also a homeopathic hospital in Glasgow as well (NHS funded) , might be worth asking your GP for a referral there, I'm not sure though. It was a great help for my daughter in dealing with allergies.
Good luck!

bmac

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 08:44:23 PM »

Just realised you're in France so, if you can get it on your health system, try to see a medical herbalist as I previously suggested , for your menopause symptoms, really helped me and I was a sceptic. It's available on the NHS here in Scotland too.

Re your IBS symptoms, have you tried kefir? It's kinda like milk/ yoghurt, easy to make with kefir grains, which you can buy through the post, and cows milk. If you don't take dairy, could try making with almond milk. A bit of an acquired taste but worth it if it helps your IBS symptoms. As with everything natural, it takes time to work and repopulate the gut with healthy bacteria so patience is required. All the best!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »

I don't think that the NHS funds any homeopathy in England because there are no peer reviewed tests yet.

nearly50

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 07:30:53 PM »

I don't think that the NHS funds any homeopathy in England because there are no peer reviewed tests yet.

Here is the list for the UK
http://www.the-hma.org/uk-homeopathic-hospitals.html

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 07:33:41 PM »

:thankyou:

breeze

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 08:15:31 PM »

What about 'pet homeopathy'.  No placebo effect there. 8)

dangermouse

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 08:25:38 PM »

I think Arnica is pretty clever. My mum recently had a new knee joint and I got her some 30c Arnica from Ainsworths and it was the only thing that took down the severe bruising.

She stopped taking it when she went to stay with my sister in Oz but when I joined them for a holiday and it had been hurting I gave her some more and it all went down again.

It also makes me have a cold if I take it, like clockwork about a week later, as it boosts the immune sytem and I didn't even know that when I took it as had for bruising and when had wisdom tooth out.

I can make scientific reasoning for hypnotherapy (which I use in my practice) but all I can come up with for homeopathy is the water memory triggering the brain to heal specific areas, where the molecules left are too small to physically measure.

It's one of those unknown mysteries about the World that I love! How boring if everything could be measured.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 10:22:16 PM »

So drink plain water  ::)

Alison Craig

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »

I'm not sure about homeopathy. I think it works in specific cases, for single issues, and only if you believe it will help! For a multi-faceted 'condition' such as menopause, I can't think how it would be helpful. A nutrient-dense diet with lean protein and loads of veggies, plus 2-3 litres of water a day, will have more impact. In my view, gut health is absolutely key to managing menopausal symptoms. Is your IBS really IBS, or are your symptoms related to wider issues around your gut bacteria? Probiotics can be helpful here, but so many claim probiotic effects but actually have little impact. Prebiotics might be better, and get a really good one. After that, eat greens, drink water, manage stress (cortisol is a beast) and regulate sleep. Vitamin D might also be useful. According to my research, it's actually a hormone substance rather than a vitamin, so can really help to regulate hormone balance in menopause. These are just my ideas, but I hope they are helpful. Alison x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »

Thanks but 2-3 litres is probably too much as we get liquids from our over-all diet.  2-3 litres was being pushed by the bottle water Companies several years ago  ::).

If we have a healthy diet the body shouldn't require any supplements but add stress and hormonal upheavals which burns off energy and we can soon feel poorly.

Nowt wrong with the placebo effect!

Tempest

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 05:58:53 PM »

I just stumbled across this thread and noted what DG said regarding 'if homeopathic medicine worked then the NHS would prescribe it'.

Well the NHS DOES prescribe it at our excellent Integrative Care Hospital which is an NHS facility here in Glasgow:

http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/patients-and-visitors/main-hospital-sites/gartnavel-campus/nhs-centre-for-integrative-care/

They also prescribe mistletoe therapy to cancer patients, which has promising clinical benefits.

I just thought some of you may be interested to know this. xxxxx

Dana

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 09:51:40 PM »

What about 'pet homeopathy'.  No placebo effect there. 8)

But does it work anyway?  It didn't work for my cat. Years ago I was going to a vet who was into all that stuff. None of it worked and my cat still had to have conventional treatment. So basically all that happened was that it cost me twice as much and I found a new vet.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 10:05:21 PM »

There is no medical proof that it 'works' but people have had results - a lot of medicine is about being listened to.

bramble

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 10:40:08 PM »

I have great faith in homeopathic medicine. It may not work as quickly as pharmaceuticals but is gentler on the system. If it is from a reputable source I say go for it.

Brramble

bramble

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »

We seem to be evenly split between those who believe in it and those who think it is a load of codswallop! It has certainly helped me in the past with arthritis and migraines.
As I said before, if it is from a reputable source, try it. You never know.

Bramble
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4