Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: magnesium  (Read 6566 times)

Dandelion

magnesium
« on: November 17, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »

I thought I was already tkaing enough magnesium, as i take one at night to help me off to sleep.
It wasn't until I studied magnesium at great length and reaslised that I wasn't getting nearly enough magnesium in my body.
Most of the supplements only provide a little, when you take into account the amount of elemental magnesium in a preparation, and also the bioavailability of each type of magnesium.
Ive heard a lot of people say it doesn't work, and I was one of them, until I realised women need over 300mgs a day of magnesium to feel any benefits.
I've now got a big bottle of epsom salts so that I can bathe in it, and I have also got some magnesium oil, plus some magnesium chhoride capsules as they reach the body better.
Some women have even got rid of their menopause symptoms without hrt, by proper use of magnesium.
I did try this and it did get rid of my flushes, before my hrt started working properly, but i guess I wasn't using enough as they came back.
So, if any ladies on here get greif from their doctors about them wanting to take you off hrt, and refusing to give them more. If you cannot be bothered fighting with your doctor, please try magnesium, but make sure you get a good one, and perhaps some oil as well.
The oil may stinig, but that means you are deficent in it.
Apparently 75-80% of people are deficient, what with processed foods, over farmed soils, etc etc
If this post helps one future menopausal woman, looking for an alternative to hrt, to stop their suffering, then it will have been worthwhile, but I have a feeling it will help loads.

honeybun

Re: magnesium
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 07:33:57 PM »

Think you've posted twice.....

Honeybun
X

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 01:44:50 AM »

Think you've posted twice.....

Honeybun
X
Hi, I posted on the meno thread and one of the posters on there said that I should post it here too, so I did, saves people referring back all the time as well.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 06:28:50 AM »

Dandelion picking up on an old thread, did you find the Epsom Salts help to up your magensium intake, do you lie in a hot tub for a couple of minutes soaking, would the salts be absorbed through the skin?  :-\

may13

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »

'Better you' do a magnesium body lotion. a nice way to add to your intake. Probably other brands available but it's the one I found in Holland and Barrett.

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »

You need to soak in Epsom salts for 20 mins minimum

It's good stuff but don't overdo it with too much (it shouldn't harm you) but I had terrible diarrhoea when I first started

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 08:32:25 AM »

Are you saying soaking in the salts gave you diarrhoea wow so it does get absorbed into the stomach then?

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:58:38 AM »

No sorry.   I took magnesium supplement daily  and maybe twice a week had bath with Epsom salts

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 10:02:55 AM »

Aah ok that makes more sense, was going to say wow, will have to be careful... :D

Maryjane

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 04:32:10 PM »

Apparently you can just soak your feet and youbwill absorb enough , of like me you can't bath due to VA and drying of skin.