Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Trapped wind - how long and how bad?  (Read 41562 times)

Urbanchick

Trapped wind - how long and how bad?
« on: October 25, 2016, 09:44:48 AM »

I have had a weird feeling under my bottom left ribs for a couple of days.  Assumed trapped wind and tried wind relief stuff.   It came and went but last night, after, admittedly, a slightly spicy noodle meal,  I was awake most of the night with gurgling painful tummy and my anxiety kicked in.   By this morning I had imagined at least three types of cancer and a couple of heart attacks.    Now am back to left rib discomfort - like a bubble or pressure feeling.   Can trapped wind last this long??   Until the last two years I could eat/drink anything (and did), now I have no caffeine, very limited alcohol, hardly any sugar and loads of oats, fruit and veg.   Any ideas?

Megamind

Re: Trapped wind - how long and how bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:03:49 AM »

It sounds like ibs. The spicy noodles will have exacerbated it. I can go days with trapped wind problems. Try not to worry it's something sinister. Eat some plain food for a few days.

Look up the list of foods that trigger ibs and you will notice the healthy foods you have been eating are the ones that trigger it!

Urbanchick

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 10:11:26 AM »

Thanks - yes I gather things like broccoli are an issue and I had that yesterday.   Not sure why it has suddenly flared up - only really had three other episodes like this in my life and only once last year had the trapped wind feeling, but nowhere near as bad as this!

Megamind

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:02:43 AM »

Oats, fruit and veg irritate me but like you, it comes and goes. Sometimes I can eat that stuff no problem, other times it triggers the ibs. Stress etc can bring it on but mine has been worse during peri menopause.

ellie

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 11:05:05 AM »

Sounds like IBS. I get exactly the symptoms you describe.. Comes and goes, and lots of strange noises and gurgling from my tummy , particularly the lower left side ......Mine is worse if I lie on my left side.
    It's best to try and sleep on your right side, but I find this uncomfortable.

Urbanchick

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 11:06:06 AM »

Tried going for a run but it is still there!  Will try distracting myself with work.   It might sound funny but I have always had trouble burping - I always envied those who could burp on demand!   I seem to have trouble and feel it might resolve things!

Anybody else had this for more than three or four days?

clare663

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »

Hi Urbanchick my daughter had to call an ambulance last year as I was in agony and had been for two days previous. They had to give me an intermuscle painkiller so that I could get downstairs and then morphine once in the ambulance! They xrayed and yep it was a back up of wind behind a slight impaction.! I was mortified but they said they have seen grown men in tears with the pain of trapped wind and my daughter was right to call an ambulance. The pain lasted another 4 days after the hospital visit.  I use duflatum by rennie which is the strongest wind relief you can buy over the counter and it works great.

Urbanchick

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 11:34:10 AM »

Thanks for that - you poor thing, one of my worries is going to a and e with something like wind, heartburn or a panic attack!    I haven't got any impaction I assume as BMs normal and regular as clockwork [the only good thing about last year's four month course of SSRI - regular bowel movements!].   Feel that mine is upper abdomen - will get some strong wind relief. 

any other ideas anybody?!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 11:40:46 AM »

Gentle massage.  From the shoulder blade downwards.  Himself often needs to rub my back until the wind begins to move.

Urbanchick

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 11:44:41 AM »

Tried that - tried windeze tablets - tried rocking from side to side on back - tried yoga - tried running - tried peppermint tea!

Guess I will just have to 'ride it out'!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 11:46:37 AM »

Have you sat on the edge of the bed and tried the swimming action i.e. breast stroke with exaggerated movements?  Then do a 'windmill' type movement above the head and as far behind the back as is comfy.?

Urbanchick

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 11:50:08 AM »

Did all that type of thing last night at yoga - and more besides.  It got a bit better but then I had a spicy noodle dish with broccoli for tea, and ate it in front of TV off a tray [something I never normally do].     Half an hour later my stomach kicked off and kept me awake all night.   So today am back to square one!

Thanks for all suggestions!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 11:52:53 AM »

"Rennies" ? works for me but I often need to chew 3/4  ::)

Also, a deep bubble bath in hot water helps.

Urbanchick

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 11:55:32 AM »

Going to get some Deflatine.   Am quite proud that, other than in the wee small hours of the morning, I have stopped catastrophizing this.  Usually I would still be deep into health anxiety mode after a bad night, but have managed to rationalise and kept it at bay.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 11:56:25 AM »

That takes effort!  Now get that wind passed!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4