Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Embedded UTI , and NO does not necessarily mean NO.  (Read 11648 times)

Annie0710

Re: Embedded UTI , and NO does not necessarily mean NO.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 07:36:13 AM »

I get a fair share of UTIs, so far I've not been wrong when I call for an appt

The most recent one I left for 2 weeks, kept trying to flush it out as that sometimes works for me but when I phoned for ABs doc said it can't be infection as I had no pain, went to see her and the infection showed up on her test in office

As we get older pain is often not present. This is how I developed a kidney infection - there was no pain to indicate that an infection was worsening and travelling further up the urinary tract.

Taz x

Thanks Taz, you know your own body don't you? Especially when you've had so many x

flutterby

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »

Katejo I wasn't suggesting that where people are in discomfort they don't give out antibiotics. I've had to take abs without testing. I have seen second and third courses being handed out without further investigation, which is wrong. My post was just to give some lab info re CLKD's question about the dipstick, and also why sometimes results come back negative. Flutterbyx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 05:51:27 PM »

:thankyou:  Flutterby.

If your GP prescribed treatment, why wouldn't it be safe  :-\ ……. you are lucky that the symptoms went away, mine did for a while - I had intermittent feelings like a urine 'infection' but fortunately my GP noted my age and suggested localised VA treatment >PHEW>!

What have you decided Katejo?

flutterby

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »

I was lucky because presumably whatever was causing the infection was sensitive to the antibiotic I was given ( I was abroad at the time).
If I'd been in this country I would have hoped that as well as getting some immediate treatment I would hope that a sample would be sent to confirm antibiotic sensitivity. Then if the antibiotic didnt work they would have the report to say what would. I do feel it is unsafe for the GP just to keep prescribing blindly.
CLKD - on the subject of VA since starting the menopause 10years ago my friend has had more or less constant UTI symptoms mainly without finding infection but not once has she been offered localised VA treatment which I find worrying Flutterbyx

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 07:11:03 PM »

:thankyou:  Flutterby.

If your GP prescribed treatment, why wouldn't it be safe  :-\ ……. you are lucky that the symptoms went away, mine did for a while - I had intermittent feelings like a urine 'infection' but fortunately my GP noted my age and suggested localised VA treatment >PHEW>!

What have you decided Katejo?
because i read the leaflet in the packet which had warnings against using it if you were taking my specific medication. I needed to be sure that it was ok. I still think that what I have now is an infection. I am taking the AB without bad side effects so far. I will know whether it is working by tomorrow or friday. I will complete this course and then have a new urine test next week. I still think mine is an infection because surely you don't  get a raised temperature with VA?

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 07:15:02 PM »

I had all kinds of feelings with urine infections which were diagnosed in the Lab., slight flu-type symptoms, intense need to pee, shivering when I did …… awful.  Let us know if the ABs start to relieve symptoms.

Flutterby - why hasn't your friend asked for treatment  :-\

flutterby

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 07:51:51 PM »

CLKD I really don't know, but next time she mentions the symptoms I will definitely broach the subject if not before. I'm wondering if she is actually aware of VA. She tends to put her own well being last.
Going back to UTI symptoms - I find one of the first things is a really strange feeling in my chest before I urinate if I'm starting with an infection. This is there every time I go to pee until the abs kick in. Flutterbyx

Katejo

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 07:53:41 PM »

I had all kinds of feelings with urine infections which were diagnosed in the Lab., slight flu-type symptoms, intense need to pee, shivering when I did …… awful.  Let us know if the ABs start to relieve symptoms.

Flutterby - why hasn't your friend asked for treatment  :-\
  With infections yes. I have many different ones but have you ever had a raised temperature/ flu like aches with VA and a negative urine test?
If I don't get any improvement from the AB, I will wait for the lab test and then discuss VA with GP.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 08:59:03 PM »

Not a high temp but a feeling of being unwell …….. at which point my GP suggested VA.  Treatment stopped those feelings of razor blades up there.

How are you this evening?

Katejo

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 01:43:33 AM »

Not a high temp but a feeling of being unwell …….. at which point my GP suggested VA.  Treatment stopped those feelings of razor blades up there.

How are you this evening?
Have a dull ache down below (similar to an old period pain but no razor blades and can pee without any probs) and just feeling a bit under the weather.

flutterby

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 08:16:09 AM »

Katejo glad to hear your symptoms are improving  :foryou: Flutterbyx

Hurdity

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 10:48:20 AM »

Hi Katejo

If you are feeling generally unwell and/or with a temperature then it is nothing at all to do with VA and could indicate an infection or bug - not necessarily UTI (but could be), such as a general virus or something. VA on its own is localised and limited to that area! Low oestrogen can also cause general pelvic problems and a dragging ache type feeling - which is what I got when I stopped HRT for 3 months and as well as the flushes, one of the reasons I went back on it. Due to general laxity and decreased collagen I think affecting that whole area.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 11:32:55 AM »

I would just like to add some of my thoughts on the tho subject.
My father was a dental surgeon and a life vegetarian. He was very against the use of antibiotics unless absolutely necessary - I went through my entire childhood without a single course of ABs - my first course of ABs was in my early 20s when I had a particularly nasty chest infection. HE knew even back in the 60s that overuse would prove a problem. When it comes to UTIs it is clearly very difficult to know when ABs are necessary (the initial ‘dip stick' will only give part of the picture) and giving appropriate ABs for the right length of time is obviously crucial.  The over use of ABs is being questioned but when it comes to UTIs there clearly must be a review on the treatment overall.
It staggers me that menopausal women keep turning up at the GP surgery with symptoms of UTIs - some with pain, urinery urgency and burning with no evidence of infection , whilst others show infection but have few symptoms - yet the medical profession hasn't cottoned on generally that the meno and these UTI type problems are linked :-\. the NICE guidelines do have a good section on this but I feel it isn't enough and the message isn't getting out there.
For years I had a horrible burning sensation in and around my urethra - initially my GP gave me ABs which didn't do anything and I asked several doctors (some gyanes at meno clinics) why I continued to have this awful discomfort - I was never offered local oestrogen as they all assumed the systemic HRt would be sorting any VA problems.

I am now on Vagifem and have used this for a few years now - what a difference it makes - I still get the odd flare up and have to manage things carefully with other strategies alongside the Vagifem but it is very distressing and often frightening to have this pain.

For me it is entirely logical that by maintaining a healthier environment around our delicate ‘lady bit's' this will act as a preventative against bacteria taking hold that is likely to cause infection.  The use of local oestrogen will help the skin be more resilient and heal better  - frankly if the NHS wants to reduce the use of ABs and reduce bladder and  vaginal problems then local oestrogen should be the standard treatment for most women  - NOT these 3 day AB courses that simply make things worse.  PREVENTION is the key. 

Rant over  >:( DG x

Katejo

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »

Katejo glad to hear your symptoms are improving  :foryou: Flutterbyx
Not sure that they are improving. Felt worse after writing this. Suspect that the AB won't be effective. Already half way through course. Will hsve to wait until next Monday to get a urine test done.

flutterby

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 01:22:30 PM »

Katejo Oh dear, sorry to hear you feel poorly again  :hug:
DG not a rant just a very well written case against the over use of antibiotics, especially for VA
Flutterbyx
Pages: 1 [2] 3