Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Embedded UTI , and NO does not necessarily mean NO.  (Read 11652 times)

Maryjane

Embedded UTI , and NO does not necessarily mean NO.
« on: September 26, 2016, 03:46:44 PM »

This is the Professor i have mentioned in the past on here , regards how inadequate UTI testing is.

Although this is The Daily Mail , this is written correctly from when I have seen him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3804393/The-rise-super-cystitis-Poor-testing-leave-women-symptoms-rest-lives.html

Katejo

Re: Embedded UTI , and NO does not necessarily mean NO.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 09:16:17 PM »

This is the Professor i have mentioned in the past on here , regards how inadequate UTI testing is.

Although this is The Daily Mail , this is written correctly from when I have seen him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3804393/The-rise-super-cystitis-Poor-testing-leave-women-symptoms-rest-lives.html
so what is the answer? I got a negative test result back from the lab today but I am not convinced that I don't have remains of an infection which was first treated 3 or 4 weeks ago. I do have another course of Trimethroprim  but can't decide whether to take it or not.

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 05:42:50 AM »

At the moment nothing via the NHS.

Prof says and ( others slowly ) joining his way , that the patients symptoms are the best form of diagnosis . In other words listen to your patient.

Also GPs have been told to not follow the " krase criteria " for diagnosis, but they still do.

Problem is trimethopone is now resistant to a vast majority of UTIs, and should not be routinely given out.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:58:33 AM »

During the night I decided to start taking the AB again as it did at least partly do the job last time. I can't get a GP appointment until Friday so I will take them for 3 days to see if they start to work first. 

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 07:02:00 AM »

This business of three days of antibiotics is disastrous , as it's the quickest way to resistance why we are in the mess we are , never clears the bug  properly and the bugs learn how to become resistant to it.

A family member is doing a degree in epidemiology and has been doing about , " anti microbial antibiotic resistance " and part of the work done was , on this nonsense of a short dose of antibs , making the whole situation so much worse.

Have you tried d-mannose ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 07:03:37 AM »

General pain relief is better than ABs if there are feelings of urine 'infection' which can ONLY be diagnosed in a Lab. and can take 3-14 days dependant on what they are testing for.

I found taking Nurofen enough once I knew it wasn't an infection.  Get thee some treatment for VA ????

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »

I get a fair share of UTIs, so far I've not been wrong when I call for an appt

The most recent one I left for 2 weeks, kept trying to flush it out as that sometimes works for me but when I phoned for ABs doc said it can't be infection as I had no pain, went to see her and the infection showed up on her test in office

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 12:10:31 PM »

General pain relief is better than ABs if there are feelings of urine 'infection' which can ONLY be diagnosed in a Lab. and can take 3-14 days dependant on what they are testing for.

I found taking Nurofen enough once I knew it wasn't an infection.  Get thee some treatment for VA ????
I have had a urine test but it was clear. However I still think I have an infection. I  do have a VA treatment but i got it a year ago and it is not far off  its use by date (in December). Also, with VA do you get  a temperature? I have felt hot  on and off for several days.  If this AB doesn't work after 3 days (course of 5 days) I will see the GP on Friday.

ancient runner

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 12:30:47 PM »

So have you used your nearly-out-of-date VA treatment at all Katejo? I don't think it'll impair it's performance if you were to crack it open now, and the symptoms are very similar.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 01:14:25 PM »

So have you used your nearly-out-of-date VA treatment at all Katejo? I don't think it'll impair it's performance if you were to crack it open now, and the symptoms are very similar.
  I am going to ask a pharmacist  a couple of questions about it on my way home. I nearly used it today but then held back. I haven't broken the seal so it should be ok. You say similar symptoms but have you had a raised temperature ? That suggests infection to me. Also I have no burning when passing water.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »

You have had treatment but not used it  :-\ …..

How can a urine test show an inf action in the Surgery?  It can't be 'grown' in that short length of time, only be sending it to a Lab..   

NOTE TO YOU ALL: VA mimics urine 'infections' …. so the bladder becomes irritated and requires treatment, GPs are too keen to hand out ABs rather than treat!!!!  The initial 2 week every-night load should relieve those feelings which are kept under control by regular insertion of product.

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »

You have had treatment but not used it  :-\ …..

How can a urine test show an inf action in the Surgery?  It can't be 'grown' in that short length of time, only be sending it to a Lab..   

NOTE TO YOU ALL: VA mimics urine 'infections' …. so the bladder becomes irritated and requires treatment, GPs are too keen to hand out ABs rather than treat!!!!  The initial 2 week every-night load should relieve those feelings which are kept under control by regular insertion of product.

You have puzzled me somewhat. I didn't try the VA treatment a year ago because I wasn't sure that it was safe for me to do so then and the symptoms cleared up without any medication. My last urine test was sent to a lab and they didn't find anything but I do still think i have an infection. The pharmacist agreed with me . I will finish the current AB course and then another sample will be sent for analysis.

i did ask the pharmacist whether i could just try the VA treatment now but she thought it better to take the AB course first. I will however buy some of the KY and try that.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:22:51 PM by Katejo »

flutterby

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 08:36:21 PM »

One of the little squares on the dipstick checks for nitrite which is produced by some bacteria but not all that cause UTIs. Even then with these bacteria it is a fairly poor test and the nurse or GP should not be saying patients have a UTI without sending to the lab. Some dipsticks also test for white cells which if this is also positive would probably give more kudos to the UTI diagnosis but white cells can be there for other reasons too.
Some abs concentrate in urine which should be good for fighting infection but also cause problems in the lab as they interfere with the cultures hence no growth when the bacteria are still causing problems in the bladder. Flutterbyx

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 09:42:57 PM »

One of the little squares on the dipstick checks for nitrite which is produced by some bacteria but not all that cause UTIs. Even then with these bacteria it is a fairly poor test and the nurse or GP should not be saying patients have a UTI without sending to the lab. Some dipsticks also test for white cells which if this is also positive would probably give more kudos to the UTI diagnosis but white cells can be there for other reasons too.
Some abs concentrate in urine which should be good for fighting infection but also cause problems in the lab as they interfere with the cultures hence no growth when the bacteria are still causing problems in the bladder. Flutterbyx
Yes I am aware of the need for lab testing but , in some cases the patient can't wait for test results due to acute discomfort and risk of kidney infection. My symptoms aren't as bad as that. I held off from taking more AB's as long as possible.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 06:55:42 AM »

I get a fair share of UTIs, so far I've not been wrong when I call for an appt

The most recent one I left for 2 weeks, kept trying to flush it out as that sometimes works for me but when I phoned for ABs doc said it can't be infection as I had no pain, went to see her and the infection showed up on her test in office

As we get older pain is often not present. This is how I developed a kidney infection - there was no pain to indicate that an infection was worsening and travelling further up the urinary tract.

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2 3