Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hypnotherapy  (Read 7040 times)

bramble

Hypnotherapy
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:10:24 PM »

Has anyone tried hypnotherapy to deal with anxiety????

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hypnotherapy
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:56:48 PM »

I was told that I am not a suitable candidate!

bramble

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:19:20 PM »

Years ago I went to a hynotherapist to stop smoking. It was a man in a room in his house. I did not feel comfortable with him and stopped the session half way through! This time I have chosen a therapist recommended on a charity site and she works from an office building. Fingers crossed! Have also been told by doc to stop smoking. Needless to say I smoke more when more anxious so that is going to be a challenge and a half. Along with a whole host of other stressors in my life at the moment, I really don't know where to start!

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »

Make a list and prioritise?

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 03:39:41 PM »

Bramble, I have a good friend who went to a hypnotherapist in order to give up smoking. It was very successful, but in the process, he found what he really what to do and that was to write. He has achieved considerable success and awards. Not that I'm suggesting you find a desperate need to write!

As you have found you to find a therapist you feel comfortable with and to really want to do what it takes. Contrary to some people's beliefs, you cannot be hypnotised to do things you don't want to do. I did go for help from a hypnotherapist for other reasons and spent more than I wish to think about, but did not benefit. Partly because I wasn't entirely at ease with the hypnotherapist and partly that I wasn't ready for that kind of help.

Justjules

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 02:48:55 PM »

Hi Bramble

I have hypnotherapy for anxiety.  The lady I've been seeing for the past 2 years or so on and off, is brilliant.  She does NLP as part of it.  We chat mostly depending on how bad or good I am and then she does the hypno.  I can't say I think I'm 'under' or anything - just deeply relaxed for about 20 mins while she is talking to my subconscious.  Apparently, once you stop all the chatter in the conscious brain and relax, the subconscious takes over and that's where the changes take place.  All in all, I think it does definitely make a difference apart from to my bank account.  She has been worth her weight in gold to me during some hard times.  You've nothing to lose but don't expect to be feeling anything but relaxed.  The real benefit can't be seen or felt as it is imbedded in the subconscious and slowly alters our perception of situations and helps us to cope better.  Good luck x

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 06:31:00 AM »

Justjules that's how my hypnotherapist gets me

In my relaxed state there I don't hear anything except her voice but the last time she was ending the session I felt strange, almost to the point of feeling detached, I told her and she kept me chatting until I was fully back to 'my' normal lol

Has mine helped ? Well I'm certainly no worse!

I pay £60 each time and am usually there about 1.5 hrs x

Justjules

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 08:07:21 AM »

Annie, I pay £55 but I'm just going once a month at the moment which is better. x

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 08:10:07 AM »

I go every 2-3 weeks x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 04:30:32 PM »

Wow that's a lot of money. However any relaxation treatment has to be beneficial and better than using medication for anxiety if you can. I wonder if there is anything cheaper for those who do not have this sort of money available?

I haven't done yoga ( I don't like being still!) but perhaps this would have the same effect? Lying or sitting on a mat to gentle music, holding a relaxing pose, thinking positive thoughts - or have I got it all wrong! :)

Hurdity x

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »

Hurdity it IS a lot of money I agree and I feel frustrated that meno has brought this on

That is the reason I don't want medication for it, as it's not natural anxiety, it's anxiety caused by meno (think you get the gist )

Although in recent weeks when my fight seems to fall on deaf ears I sometimes want to just give in and take their pills, but it'd only mask it , not sort it

X

bramble

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 09:08:50 PM »

Ran the hypnotherapy idea past my doc this week and he was all for it! Just said to make sure I got a reputable person!

Bramble

Justjules

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 08:12:07 AM »

Go for it Bramble, you've nothing to lose. You will know if you have the right person as soon as you see them - go with your intuition. Ask around to see if there are any recommendations or try a reputable alternative health centre and ask if the know of anyone. X

puddlesmum

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 03:02:49 PM »

I have a hypnotherapist and she does me the world of good.  Missed her for the last 2 weeks as I've slowly got worse but hopefully she'll pick me back up when she comes Tuesday.  She has helped me a lot, even though I keep having crashes.  She charges £60 a session and visits me at home for an hour. Amazing woman.

I never think I'm actually under either, but it has worked a few times so I must be.  I have her hypnotise me weekly.  Worth every penny.  Mine is a Quest Trained Cognitive Hypnotherapist.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:07:15 PM by puddlesmum »

bramble

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 04:41:29 PM »

Yes there is. I got the name of someone from the Anxiety (UK) web site so very reputable. Three areas to work on - anxiety, food intake and smoking!! Which comes first? If I can get my anxiety down and the smoking stopped then that will naturally increase my food intake so all win-win! That's the plan!

Bramble
Pages: [1] 2