Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: endometrial biospy  (Read 3456 times)

toffeecushion

endometrial biospy
« on: September 15, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »

I've got to have a hysteroscopy and biopsy next week, on my 50th birthday of all days.  Was wondering how they take the biopsy, do they actually cut a bit off or just scrape?

Anyone have any experience of this?

Dancinggirl

Re: endometrial biospy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 04:46:06 PM »

I think it's just a scrape. DG x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »

Hello toffeecushion.

Firstly, happy birthday for next week. I will be 60 on Monday so 10 years ahead of you.

I had a hysteroscopy last year and Dancinggirl is right, it is just a scrape. I would advise you to take some painkillers beforehand to reduce any discomfort but it is a very quick procedure.

Hope all goes well and take care.

K.

Stick_insect

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 07:55:42 AM »

I had an endometrial biopsy in January. To give you some reassurance I didn't think it was painful at all. Perhaps a little discomfort afterwards kind of like mild cramping. The instrument used is like a very fine straw with a very tightly coiled spring on the end. I felt it kind of ping and then the doc swept it round and back out. Very quick and as I said not painful- try to relax as much as possible that helps.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:57:19 AM by Stick_insect »

Scampi

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:05:38 AM »

I had a hysteroscopy, biopsy and Mirena coil fitted last December (Mirena - best thing I ever did, by the way!!).  I had a local anaesthetic in the cervix as it needed to be stretched to allow the hysteroscope in (the gynae who did it said it's tight and scarred from my daughter's birth, but normal) - that stung a little, but wasn't painful.  The procedure itself was quick and, for me, painless - it was over before I knew it.  On the advice of the clinic staff I took paracetamol (I'm allergic to anything else) and rested for the rest of the day, but I really could have gone to work - I was absolutely fine.

The thought of what the doc was going to do was far worse than the procedure itself!

Lizab

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 02:48:56 PM »

It was a scrape, but mine was a very thorough scrape. It was painful, the kind of intense crampy pain that I had to bear down to get through and squeeze the nurse's hand. It probably only lasted 30 seconds. After the procedure I didn't have any pain or cramping at all. I felt no different than if I'd had a regular smear. Don't let it scare you. I lived to tell of it! And the peace of mind from having results makes it worthwhile.

toffeecushion

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 01:43:01 PM »

Thank you all for replying.  You have helped to reassure me, although I am still quite scared.  Have postponed my birthday celebrations to Saturday lol.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 02:05:23 PM »

Best, so that you can enjoy without the biopsy hanging over you!

Let us know how you get on?

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 03:42:35 PM »

It was over and done with quickly. Worrying about it was worse.

Enjoy your celebrations for your birthday! How do you plan to celebrate?

toffeecushion

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 02:19:04 PM »

See a different consultant today who thought it wasn't necessary to do it, as I haven't had a period since July he believes my bleeding problems have all been menopause related.  Do feel relieved but a little concerned that something could have been wrong and I won't know now.  He said if the bleeding starts up again to go back.

Feel cheated out of my birthday now lol