Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Telegraph article, 'Bone broth helped my aching joints'.  (Read 3756 times)

Elizabethrose

Telegraph article, 'Bone broth helped my aching joints'.
« on: October 10, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »

Woke to a chill in the air this morning, time to put the heating on me thinks!

I love autumn and all it brings but most of all the food. One of my delights is making stock. I would NEVER chuck out a chicken carcass or joint bone: if I don't have time to allow the stock to brew I pop the bones into the freezer until I do and then batch cook a whole bunch of packets. Homemade stock beats the dried or stockpot type stock hands down. Everything tastes a million times better having used it. Mostly though, brewing up a batch is enormously satisfying and therapeutic!

I read this article in the Telegraph this morning and whilst as stated, ‘there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that bone broth has medical benefits', the feel good factor and delicious taste cannot be denied.  My kids ‘demanded' my Scotch broth or chicken soup when sick and there are always containers of it in the freezer ‘at the ready'. And as mentioned in the article, who can question the benefits of a bowl of a Jewish mother's penicillin (chicken soup)! My oldest friend is Jewish and frequently produces her G grandmother's recipe of chicken soup and it is absolutely delicious.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbeing/diet/bone-broth-helped-my-aching-joints/

Chicken casserole for us tonight, stock made yesterday from Saturdays roast chicken! Get cooking ladies! x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Telegraph article, 'Bone broth helped my aching joints'.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 04:27:13 PM »

There must be a reason why Jewish chicken soup is good but it's probably lost in the mists of time.

Granny always had a stock pot bubbling ….. bits were dropped into it during the week and that was supper at the end of the week. 

Elizabethrose

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 10:28:11 PM »

Stellajane, I read an article recently too but cannot find it. I'm sure it was either in the Independent, Guardian or Telegraph. It did mention the proven health benefits, in addition to the therapeutic value of a steaming bowl of tasty soup.

CLKD, both my mother and grandmother were (are) thrifty cooks who produced the most delicious nutritious meals. Carcasses and bones were always used for stock. Our family favourite was always the turkey stew/casserole that was served up the day after Boxing Day with huge herby, peppery dumplings.

I love to cook and bake and interestingly my kids do too. Hubby on the other hand, not so much!!!! x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 06:45:27 AM »

This article mentions the benefits of chicken soup http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2252167/Souper-broth-An-old-wives-tale-No-chicken-soup-really-CAN-fight-cold-say-scientists.html

I always use the chicken carcass too

Taz x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 08:31:33 AM »

Thanks Taz, yes I saw that when searching for the recent one I'd seen. Also saw this one but neither one is the recent article I'd read. It's unusual for something to disappear.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/will-chicken-soup-really-cure-your-cold

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 11:49:55 AM »

May I skip the dumplings and have a lump of freshly baked bread instead  ;D

Elizabethrose

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:07:42 PM »

Absolutely! I'm always feeding the five thousand at Christmas, another little bottom can be easily accommodated! x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 01:23:43 PM »

;D ……  :thankyou:

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 04:31:09 PM »

Hmmm – this is little more than an advertising feature promoting the benefits of their “bone broth” pots for sale – under the auspices of an article about health!! Well it is in the diet section after all!

This sort of thing really gets my goat – I mean – it's STOCK for goodness sake –  on which most people of my generation were brought up - with their mothers making it from old bones!  Only those who have been seduced by widely available convenience foods due to our modern, hurried, and wasteful lifestyle – will find this a novelty! I can't bear these gimmicky names for things where an old idea is re-packaged as some wonderful new discovery! It's like trends for kale and berries etc – at least they don't have another name... oh actually I forgot – they're “superfoods”!!! Another one that irritates me is calling restaurant food “pan-fried” to dress up  a dish where the main ingredient is fried – I mean where else would it be fried?

Anyway I digress - it is great to bring people's attention to the appalling waste of food that is prevalent in our society and to promote cooking from scratch which of course includes making stock! We have always made stock – I always have it in the freezer and use it to make soup which I live on for lunch from October to April/May as it is a wonderful filling low-calorie food and a great nutritious aid in keeping your weight down. We roast our chicken bones and carcass after removing the meat (don't often roast other meats but make lamb stock out of lamb when we occasionally have it too) – and that makes for a much tastier stock/soup than just boiling it all up.

I'm sure there may are health benefits from stock  – but as the article says there is no scientific evidence to support their claims – and as long as we eat a wide-ranging diet of fresh ingredients this  can only be of benefit to us. There is no need to buy their pots of it though and in fact far better to make your own!

As for the fibromyalgia claim –  well of course homeopathy won't work, and the article does not mention that she had any hormones tests nor tried a hormonal solution – HRT – oestrogen? Testosterone? Thyroid? I wonder if she had a full endocrine screening and treatment before deciding to make and then sell stock!!!! 

I sincerely hope that fibromyalgia sufferers don't all rush out to buy this stock on this basis of this advert!!

Rant over....  ;D

Hurdity x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 04:35:47 PM »

Hahaha, so I'm guessing you won't be buying any then! It's always good to get something off of your chest though.