Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rudest place names in Australia  (Read 10272 times)

cjmca

Re: Rudest place names in Australia
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »

;D

We have quite a few rude place names in Ireland. There's Muff in Co.Donegal. Along the coast, has a diving club. Yes really!

Also Fannystown, Lower Balix, Slutsend, Doodys Bottom and Fartrim  ;D

lesley998

Re: Rudest place names in Australia
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 05:04:50 PM »

This is an old topic, but I've been reading though looking for a laugh!

Reminds me of a book my brother in law gave me years and years ago, called The Meaning Of Liff.  It's available on PDF online. 

"The Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd. All of the words are actually place names, taken from signposts and maps mostly from locations in the UK, but also from the rest of the planet. These place names are matched with meanings that don't yet have words of their own, usually with very humorous results. In Life*, there are many hundreds of common experiences, feelings, situations and even objects which we all know and recognize, but for which no words exist.
On the other hand, the world is littered with thousands of spare words which spend their time doing nothing but loafing about on signposts pointing at places.
Our job, as we see it, is to get these words down off the signposts and into the mouths of babes and sucklings and so on, where they can start earning their keep in everyday conversations and make a more positive contribution to society
."

My very favourite is FRIMLEY:   The exaggerated carefree saunter adopted by Norman Wisdom as an immediate prelude to dropping down an open manhole.

Hope the links work.  Great for a guffaw over a cup of coffee in the morning when youve finished the paper

http://lib.ru/ADAMS/liff.txt

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+meaning+of+liff+pdf&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Pages: 1 [2]