Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hi everyone, advice needed!  (Read 3104 times)

Margy16

Hi everyone, advice needed!
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:42:24 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm new and really glad to have stumbled across this site! I'm 48 and have all the usual symptoms of peri-menopause plus fibroids that kindly give me seriously heavy (but now bi-monthly - whoop!) periods. I also have moderate arthritis in my knee and elbow. I can cope with all that and am hoping the menopause will shrink my fibroids and put an end to vile periods.

But the hot sweats!! Good god! They make me feel awful, and look like a baked pumpkin ;D I'm just about to start a new full time job having been self-employed for the last 15 years but am terrified of the hot flushes/sweats, not just because they derail me in a major way, but because my face goes puce and I sweat under my hairline and under my eyes - not a great look! The job involves lots of meetings with clients and bosses and a fairly high level of presentation - I will have to give standing presentations frequently and it's beginning to worry me! Has anyone had any joy with alternative therapies for the flushes? I can't take oestrogen or HRT - I have an awful emotional reaction to it so it's off the cards.

My other question was about insomnia - has anyone got any tips aside from the normal NHS type advice? I don't think I've slept more than four hours (in total) a night for months now :'(

Isn't it great being a woman!!

Thanks in advance,

Margy

dazned

Re: Hi everyone, advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:27:59 PM »

:welcomemm:

Insomnia is quite a common problem on here,dont think anyone has found a definitive answer sadly !
Search hot flushes and insomnia in the search box you should find a few threads.
A long soak in an Epsom salts baths helps relax the muscles and can help sleep,some find valerian helps.
Some use sage for hot flushes ,some successful some not  ;)
If you dont tolerate estrogen and your flushes are very bad some swear by citlopram which is an AD but seems to alleviate flushes.
Hope you find something to suit you and enjoy your time with us on this journey  :lol:

Janice68

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM,
My doc told me to try sage tablets for hot flushes they do help some people worth a try and give them a good month.
I suffer from insomnia too I tried everything and I mean everything to the point only a sleeping pill would give me a bit of respite of sleep. Anyway had to come of that addiction and all that. Now I'm trialling an AD to help me with my insomnia and touch wood it seems to be helping. I'm still waking up at times throughout the night but I'm starting to get more sleep than I did before because this has been going on for 3 years so keeping my fingers crossed it keeps helping me still early days though on this AD.
Good luck with your new job
Keep posting I'm sure others will be along with advice!! Sorry can't offer any advice on sleep unless you see your gp they can offer meds like amitriptyline for sleep.

Jan x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:59:56 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Margy16
What HRTs have you tried? There is usually something that suits - it is trial and error.
What about having the Mirena fitted that would help with the terrible bleeds and usually shrinks fibroids and then you can simply add some oestrogen as gel or patch to control the flushes?  Look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page and under progesterones and you will see that the Mirena is popular as part of HRT - it usually results in no bleeds at all and gives fewer side effects which can be great. Quality of life is important and if the flushes are a problem then it's worth trying some HRt options.  DG x

dazned

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 08:48:23 PM »

I think Margy16 said she had adverse reaction to estrogens  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »

Hi dazned - Margy16 just mentioned reaction to oestrogen and this may have been related BCPs which are different to HRT - she didn't mention whether she had tried HRT and if she had tried HRT, which ones??? 
Reaction to BCPs does not mean you can't take HRT - the hormones tend to be different and are mostly more natural (bio identical) so will have fewer side effects.
As we all know, there are no alternatives that really reduce hot flushes - apart from some ADs/SRRIs -  so HRT is the only thing that really helps.  Many women find that BCPs don't suit them but can often find an HRT that does.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »

:welcomemm:

Margy16

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 07:39:37 AM »

Thank you everyone for your advice and tips, really appreciated. I'm definitely going to give Sage tablets a go and perhaps try valerian as well. I had a Mirena coil years ago and began hideous periods when it was removed; a year later I had fibroids. I'm not a fan! I'm going to give some of the natural remedies a go first before resorting back to the doc... will let you know how I get on! Thanks again  :)

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 07:44:39 AM »

Nope sorry to be blunt. Some ladies get temporary relief
But the only way to getbback hormones is to put hormones back in your body xxxx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 08:37:57 AM »

Hi Margy16 - The Mirena does not cause fibroids - the Mirena may well have been preventing you getting fibroids earlier!!!
Do read up the info on this site about alternatives before spending out money on remedies that won't necessarily help - I have been menopausal since my mid 30s, have tried every alternative remedy, and HRT is the only thing that really controls flushes.  Life style is the only real alternative help i.e. good balanced diet and exercise regime.
Now 60 and recently going off HRt for another break, I am trying Red Clover and extra soya in my diet - not luck yet but I will see over the next 6 months whether this makes and difference - there have been some controlled trial with Red Clover and Soya and for a small number of women there can be an improvement I believe.

BTW - you haven't told us your age? Just out of interest - why are you so against HRT?  DG x

Megamind

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »

Says she's 48 in her opening post Dancinggirl.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 10:00:23 AM »

Thanks Megamind - hadn't noticed that.  48 is really young to be getting low on oestrogen.  What a shame she is worried about trying HRT.  DG x

Cazikins

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »

She also says this in her opening post DG:

"I can't take oestrogen or HRT - I have an awful emotional reaction to it so it's off the cards."

lily

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 08:29:28 PM »

Air con is great, hopefully they have it or set up a fan nearby? I've tried most alternatives including AD's which helped more at night. Coming off now though as they are bad for bone density. I'm nearing the 1 yr since last period and 54 so going to ask for hrt that won't give me a bleed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 08:51:25 PM »

Some ladies find 'alternatives' help until their own hormone upheavals take over.  Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary can be helpful. 

Also, 'natural' doesn't always mean that it is good for us, after digitalis can be fatal ;-).  Most things are synthesised in a Lab. somewhere so some people can react to the fillers and/or outers.

Let us know how you get on!