Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Advice Please  (Read 1794 times)

Supernova

Advice Please
« on: August 27, 2016, 09:31:44 AM »

Thanks for allowing me to join this group. I'm 47 years old and have recently gone to my GP for help. Over the last few years things have been changing for me finally reaching a point where my periods are so painful and heavy they are impacting my quality of life (including my ability to go to work some days). Additionally my moods are all over the place. I feel low and anxious a lot of the time now where previously this was limited to the week before my period. Also suffering with joint pain, bloating and extreme tiredness. My GP has ordered blood tests to check my hormone levels including thyroid.  I've already been advised that HRT is not suitable for me due to health history and a Mirena Coil is likely to be recommended. I'm reading lots searching for information and seeing a lot of mixed feedback. Any suggestions which could help alleviate my symptoms?  I simply can't continue like this regardless of any blood test results.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:39:33 AM by Supernova »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 01:45:55 PM »

:welcomemm:

Has your GP prescribed something to ease any heavy bleeds and offered pain relief?

The moods are probably hormone related to, so your GP may well be off the mark!  HRT can protect bones and heart as well as easing memo-symptoms, some GPs believe that a woman is only in menopause if she has hot flushes  >:(

Maybe keep a mood/food/bleed diary so that you can chart your cycle?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »

Hi Supernova - can you say what health history would preclude from using HRT? Quite often women are told this but it is not the case and it would be a shame to miss out on HRT if you would benefit from it.

The mirena is excellent in most cases at relieving heavy periods so you may find that this would suit you. I'm not sure on the bloatedness to be honest. Have you had this for a while?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Supernova

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 03:12:07 PM »

Sure, firstly my own weight is an issue. Admittedly I do need to lose some. Secondly my mother and grandfather both had bad angina. My grandfather died of a heart attack in his 60s. My mothers on medication.

I do feel hotter generally and can't cope in warm environments. Fan on in my bedroom all night and window open. But I'm not having much of the hot flashes I read about.

Supernova

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »

I have been given Tranexamic acid to take this month. My period is imminent.

Thanks for the replies :)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 06:38:59 PM »

Hi again. I don't think that parents with a history of angina should impact on your ability to use HRT. Under the age of 51 (normal age for menopause apparently) there is no risk anyway and will help to protect your heart and bones. Oestrogen is important in keeping heart and bones healthy. You are just replacing what you should have had naturally.

Taz x