Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: My visit to Prof Studd's clinic  (Read 2985 times)

Blue Kingfisher

My visit to Prof Studd's clinic
« on: August 24, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »

Hi all,

I had my appointment at the clinic Friday last week & all & all it was very positive. I saw Dr Michael Savvas because Prof Studd is so booked up. Dr Savvas is really nice, very approachable & sympathetic. I had already started the oestrogel two weeks prior to my appointment. The first week I felt better but then the second week I felt dreadful. I made the mistake of assuming it was the oestrogel when in fact it was severe PMT symptoms (I started my period this weekend).

Because I thought it was the gel he wants me to stay at two pumps of oestrogel & thinks I will be able to tolerate more once my thyroid is more stable (I'm hypothyroid & currently building up to a higher dose of medication). I'm happy to stay at 2 pumps even though my oestrogen is very low (less than 19) because I am already feeling the benefit 😃 and I'm sure when my thyroid improves I'll feel even better.

He has also put me on testosterone as that was quite low & im not to take the progesterone until 1st Oct. I have a follow up appointment with him in November & I'm going to stick with Dr Savvas (rather than transfer to Prof Studd) because of continuity & he's a really nice man.

He thinks I will feel a lot better in three months time but he then wants to consider upping the oestrogel if necessary. I feel a lot more positive about things now & although I'm very tired (as I'm having my period) I'm managing to get through the day without sleeping which is a huge improvement on last month. I was in a very dark place for a good while & really want to thank everyone for all their help & support, it's been a life saver already! I expect I will have times of feeling awful when I'm in the second half of my cycle for a while but I'm still encouraged as at least I have some better patches now & hopefully things will just keep improving.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me, I didn't know where to begin & I truly can't thank you enough! I'm off to Skiathos tomorrow & im so pleased I will be able to enjoy it a bit more & not sleep through it all! Will no doubt be back in the forum when the schools are back & ive caught me breath back!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: My visit to Prof Studd's clinic
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:13:28 PM »

:thankyou: 4 the update!

Maybe keep a note of your bleeds so that you can anticipate any mood changes?  If charted it might not freak you quite as much?

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:14:55 PM »

Good idea CLKD X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 08:15:45 PM »

My husband could tell when my period was due even when I had forgotten  ::) - he would mutter 'check your calendar'  ;D

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:52:57 PM »

Ah that's lovely that you've had a good outcome of going private, I may be looking into the private route soon if things don't work out for me

Were you on hrt before seeing Dr Savvas?

Hopefully things will continue to improve for you and you'll keep us updated, as its really helpful and gives others hope

Annie x

Freckles

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:53:57 PM »

That's great news Blue Kingfisher! Hope you continue to feel better!
I've been officially "advised" by MM NOT to mention my experience of  Studd's clinic or his treatment regime in my posts as it apparently constitutes "advertising" and some members of MM have apparently been so distressed by this, they have complained.
So, of course, I won't in future, as I don't want to offend anyone.
As always, other treatment options, other a private consultation  are always available
But I am genuinely pleased you had a positive  outcome from your consultation. 
Hopefully things will continue improve for you.
Enjoy your holiday- Skiathos is lovely!

Michelle46

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 02:02:47 AM »

Hi Annie
Sorry you're not too good. Are you still on hrt and what are your symptoms? I've still got a lot of horrible things. I'm debating to see a endocrinologist privately x

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »

Hi Annie
Sorry you're not too good. Are you still on hrt and what are your symptoms? I've still got a lot of horrible things. I'm debating to see a endocrinologist privately x

Yes Michelle, many sympyoms and have been on oestrogen only since '99

I'm hoping the missing link is testosterone and my GP agrees to at least a trial otherwise I'll go private

Annie x

Mary G

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 10:51:58 AM »

Blue Kingfisher, thanks so much for the feedback.  Dr. Savvas sounds really nice and I am sure many other members will be interested to know that he is another option for them.

It's good that you have a long run on Oestrogel only, particularly as you are off on holiday.  I think the testosterone will also help.  I hope you continue to notice a gradual improvement and please keep up updated.  Have a nice holiday!

Freckles, I can't think why anyone would have reported you to admin, you have never been even remotely offensive.  I love your posts, they are so friendly but also knowledgeable and pithy and a very long way from distressing!  Please don't stop posting. 

Elizabethrose

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »

Freckles, admin Emma said you haven't been prevented from posting your experiences so there seems to have been a misunderstanding. Yours has been an interesting and informative journey and I am delighted that all is going well for you.

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 07:17:38 AM »

Hi Annie - I was only on HRT for 2 weeks prior to seeing Dr. Savvas & that was thanks to Mary G's advice  :)😃 I'm so glad I did try the oestrogel first for a while as it allowed a few symptoms to emerge (which I now know we're my own hormones) & for Dr. Savvas to put my mind at rest. I got the gel on the NHS. I'm now also on Testim so hopefully that will also help.

Getting on a plane in an hour or so...so I'd better sign off but just wanted to answer your question 😃

Will update again later down the line, thanks everyone xxx

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »

Hi Annie - I was only on HRT for 2 weeks prior to seeing Dr. Savvas & that was thanks to Mary G's advice  :)😃 I'm so glad I did try the oestrogel first for a while as it allowed a few symptoms to emerge (which I now know we're my own hormones) & for Dr. Savvas to put my mind at rest. I got the gel on the NHS. I'm now also on Testim so hopefully that will also help.

Getting on a plane in an hour or so...so I'd better sign off but just wanted to answer your question 😃

Will update again later down the line, thanks everyone xxx

Aw bless you that's so sweet replying when you're about to go on your hollibobs, have a great time xxx