Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: skin on knuckles  (Read 2695 times)

walking the dog

skin on knuckles
« on: August 24, 2016, 08:40:31 PM »

This evening, though I assume it must have been happening longer without me noticing, the skin on my knuckles has gone very dry and is threatening to split 😐 its slightly itchy but not massively.
Is this another menopause thing ? It's new too me 😒

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: skin on knuckles
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:52:40 PM »

I've had this for years  ::) - I can't use Fairy Liquid as it strips the oils from my skin.  When my skin begins to itch and split I apply copious amounts of Savlon!!!!

walking the dog

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:05:59 PM »

Thanks clkd I'm going try the savalon now and I love the smell of it 😊

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:34:18 PM »

Sympathies. Horrid isn't it? Mine used to get so itchy. Savlon best to start with, then get a good quality hand cream with almond oil in.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:35:48 AM »

I use Epaderm emollient cream, having suffered from eczema on my hands since birth. The eczema has calmed down with age, only splitting into cuts during extreme weather change, but I am left with dry skin and thin skin probably due to years of steroid ointments being prescribed. The Epaderm ointment or cream does not have any perfumes, SLS, that can irritate. Very comforting for irritated, dry skin.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 10:19:02 AM »

Need to remember that one Ju Ju.

walking the dog

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 10:53:56 AM »

Thank you everyone I plastered savalon on last night and much relief today skin wise
Is epederm emollient cream available in chemists juju or do I need a prescription?
Xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 01:30:42 PM »

Over the counter. You can get a small one for about £2.50 in  larger sainsburys off the shelves. The larger size you have to ask for at the pharmacy, about £12. I actually use it for cleansing my face, then moisturising my face now. ( I have rosecea). I would use the ointment preparation to wash with, but it's expensive, so I use cheaper emollient ointment, which does contain SLS, so has to be rinsed more thoroughly.  Normal body washes seem to make general dryness worse.

walking the dog

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »

I have hydromil ointment for my ear eczema off my gp is that the same ? Xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »

No idea! :) If it has has cortisone in it, then no. Epaderm emulsifying cream or ointment helps to moisturise and/or only.