Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT not working yet?  (Read 3892 times)

Gilbertine

HRT not working yet?
« on: August 26, 2016, 03:56:27 PM »

Hello I'm new to the Forum.  Started peri when I was about 42.  I'm now 50 and been on depo for about 8 years and then changed to the contraceptive implant last year.  In May, my hot flushes crept up and got severe so doctor run blood tests and then put me on Femoston sequential combined 1.10mg.  I've been on it for about 16 days now - the hot flushes day and night have got worse.  I'm wondering if this is normal.  Also, because I was not having periods on the implant I don't know if I am post menopausal.

;DIt would be nice to get some feedback from others.  Thanks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT not working yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 03:59:51 PM »

:welcomemm:  I replied on your other thread - I think  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 05:17:57 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Gilbertine

It does take time of the body to adjust to any hormone treatment.  My feeling is that you may need the higher dose of Femoston (i.e. 2/10) if your flushes are still bad. It could be worth having some bloods done to see what your oestrogen levels are after 3-4 weeks - your oestrogen level should be showing the effect of the HRT - if it's not working or not enough then you do need a higher dose.  Also the GP could test for thyroid function to see if that is OK or not. Dg x

Gilbertine

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 05:32:14 PM »

The doctor prescribed the HRT without seeing me.  On my initial appointment where she ordered blood tests - she said if I was menopausal she would write out a prescription and that I should take it for 3 months.  That's all the information I was given.  I don't know what my blood test results were only that they indicated I was menopausal (that's what the receptionist told me).  I have my thyroid tested regularly as I have a goitre and am borderline hypothyroid.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 02:04:29 PM »

Hi Gilbertine - It could be that your thyroid function is struggling -  I believe this can happen during menopause and would explain why the HRT isn't helping.  It's not that you can't have HRT, it's just your thyroid needs to be monitored and possibly treatment put in place alongside the HRT.  I would give it a couple more weeks and then go back and ask to have the thyroid blood test again to see what is going on.  At the same time they could also test to see what your oestrogen level is having taken HRT for a month. If your oestrogen level is good but you are still getting flushes then it may well be your thyroid that is playing up.  DG x

Gilbertine

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »

Good advice Dancing Girl ! :) I think I will give it another two weeks and then if I still feel the same I will get in touch with my doctor.

Tempest

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »

Hi, Gilbertine!

It is known that introducing HRT can throw the thyroid function off balance, and that your thyroid medication may need to be adjusted.

I am also a member of Hystersisters (all the ladies there have had hysterectomies and or oophorectomies though), but the same applies. I have read many posts there about ladies who are balancing thyroid hormone and HRT, and in most cases an adjustment in HRT or addition of HRT resulted in a requirement to adjust their thyroid medication.

Rest assured that you can indeed take HRT though! I think your GP needs to be a little thoughtful about this, and if you are currently seeing a Consultant Endocrinologist then his input is a must. If not, then your GP should probably make a referral for a revue of your situation. Maybe phone your GP next week and arrange to discuss this, armed with this info. I am sure there are MM members too who are balancing thyroid medications and HRT. Hopefully one of them will be along shortly to add their thoughts, or maybe start a new thread with Thyroid/HRT as a title so that it draws theiir attention.

Hope this helps, and good luck!  :)

Gilbertine

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »

Hello, I'm not on any thyroid medication.  I am having a blood test in December to check my thyroid levels.  For the last 3 - 4 years I have been borderline underactive and they won't put me on meds for this.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 04:28:53 PM »

Gilbertine - that's the point we are trying to tell you - your thyroid may be reacting to HRT so needs to be checked sooner rather than later. Your symptoms sound very like your thyroid is playing up.
Simply ask your GP whether a thyroid function and oestrogen level blood test is a good idea because the flushes are actually getting worse since you started HRT, which seems strange!!!!  DG x

Tempest

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 04:48:27 PM »

DG is correct! Sorry - I didn't realise that you are not on treatment for your thyroid. Hormones (and thyroid is one) interplay in complex ways with each other, so this is very important. Don't be alarmed or worry, it's just something that your GP needs to take a little care with and you should let her know if your flushes have increased.

Hope this helps, and please pop back on to the forums to let us know how you get on. There is always a lot of help and wonderful support to be had here.  :)

Gilbertine

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:02:49 AM »

:D Hello, thanks for all your answers.  I will put up with my symptoms for a bit longer and if they don't improve I will contact my doctor.  I will keep you all updated.