Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Changed my doctor  (Read 5989 times)

dahliagirl

Re: Changed my doctor
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 01:09:44 PM »

I had the choice of my village practice (which I avoided for 20 years), the next village practice (which is worse) or the next small market town (v bad reviews - also know 2 people who have resigned from working there).

I have gone for the village one because I can walk there and they now have a part time doctor who is good and a new full time one who seems ok.  They will, one day in the future  ::), join with the one in the other village and make a bigger one on new premises with more services, so hopefully it will attract doctors who want more experience and become a bit more forward looking.  They are ok to refer you for anything if you have private medical insurance.  I am not sure how good they are with HRT.  One doctor does not have anything to do with it and I have only seen the nurse for checkups.  They are less stingey with the vagifem though  ;D

If I do not get on with this one, I do not have any other option, really.

walking the dog

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 04:04:12 PM »

This reminded me of some bad experiences I had with counselling sessions a few years back !
The first said after our first session she couldn't possibly give me the amount of help I needed, which was fair enough
I was re referred to counsellor number two who after three sessions told me to ask my gp for a hysterectomy and my problems would be solved.
Onto counsellor number three who I noticed after second session talked a lot about her cat so me being me went home and googled the counsellor all seemed ok until I came across a link for a blog her cat 'writes ' honest I couldn't believe what I was reading it was so off the wall ! I decided there and then she needed help more the me and i never went back ! That was me and counselling over and id never go again !
Sure there are some good ones out there and i have since had psychotherapy with a psychologist which was amazing. I'm sure there are good gp practices too , I'm lucky to have one. Just thought id tell you my funny experiences which i do laugh at now ! 😊

Katejo

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 05:51:56 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, fingers crossed!
I used to have a wonderful doctor until two years ago, he was the same age as myself and we got along great. He was clued up on women's issues and went to various conferences on hrt. Sadly he retired, hence me ending up with the choice of seeing either the clueless one, the doom laden one who puts the fear of the worst case scenario into everyone or Cruella de Ville. You'd daren't go to see her with your hair brushed and wearing a little makeup as she bellows at you and says if you're fit enough to get to the surgery you're not that ill. EEK!
 :-\
Re. your Cruella de Vil comment: This is crazy. So a woman who feels fine but has found a small lump (hopefully just a cyst) shouldn't be at the GP's?

Dorothy

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 09:21:05 PM »

My last GP was worse than useless - kept telling me there was nothing wrong with me in spite of me ticking every menopause symptom in the book because 'women under 50 didn't get menopausal symptoms'.  :o Eventually told me I could think I was menopausal if I wanted to, but I still didn't need any treatment  >:(...fortunately, I moved areas and now have a lovely GP, but I am dreading either me moving or her leaving the surgery...it really is a lottery.

Well done on leaving linz57 - I hope your proactive behaviour is rewarded by a great GP at your new surgery.

linz57

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 09:13:20 PM »

Well I'm over at the new surgery in the morning as  I have to see the nurse for a well woman check before I can book an appointment with  a doctor. Wish me luck!
Yes katejo, it's an appalling attitude for a doctor to have isn't it?  There were always appointments available to see Cruella as nobody wanted to book In with her. Funny that eh?  Seriously though, how she gets away with it is beyond me.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:17:42 PM by linz57 »

Dorothy

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 10:43:18 PM »

We have one GP at our surgery that you can always get a same day appointment for, one you can get a same-week appointment for and one you always have a 6-8 week wait to see...  Guess why I prefer to join the 8 week waiting list?!!

linz57

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 06:03:26 AM »

I don't blame you Dorothy, although waiting can be frustrating it's better than having a wasted and useless appointment .

Elizabethrose

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 06:36:45 AM »

Good luck today Linz57, hopefully they'll be all singing, all dancing! I still can't get over your breast exam, outrageous! x

babyjane

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »

Once again I have received excellent service, help and advice from our GP surgery this morning.  We have been with the practice for 36 years and I would not change.

There are good ones out there and I wish that the ladies who are struggling could find one as it makes such a difference especially when you have chronic or long standing health issues.

Ju Ju

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 10:35:01 AM »

When we moved to this village 30 years ago, the local surgery in a small town 3 miles away, held a surgery in a room in the village pub once a week! I was told that it was a tonic just seeing the doctor, whose list we were put on. Lovely man, now retired. There was only one doctor that I would avoid if possible. He had a reputation of hating women. Once I went to see him only to witness him dressing down another member of staff. Then he didn't look at me, just wrote an inappropriate prescription.  I ended up having to go to A&E a few weeks later, which could have been avoided. It had taken courage to go to the doctor in the first place. When my husband couldn't bend his knees, his reaction was why would you want to do that! And sent him on his way! So glad he's retired! The younger doctors who have taken over the surgery give good service, but in line with everywhere else you have to wait to get an appointment.

linz57

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »

Doesn't it make a world of difference having a doctor who is approachable and willing to listen? Its awful if you have one with a gruff manner who won't even give you the time if day.
Well, I've been to my well woman check up at the new surgery and I have to say the nurse was just lovely. I was in with her for half an hour and we chatted about a few different things. She also gave me a proper breast check thank goodness. She is a lady in her fifties with first hand experiences of anxiety and menopausal problems so she knew where I was coming from.
The doctor I would like to see is away on holiday for two weeks so I will wait until she is home and I'll take things from there. The waiting room was bright, friendly and there was music playing.... Unlike my previous surgery which was like a morgue! Also, the ladies in reception were very  welcoming so, at the moment it looks good , but I suppose time will tell. I have a good feeling about this place though.
Oh yes, one more thing, the nurse, like me , couldn't understand why my previous doctor had referred me to a gynae and  wouldn't prescribe  Utrogestan to try out.

Dorothy

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 01:26:18 PM »

That sounds really positive!  Hope the new doctor is as good as the rest of the practice seems to be.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 01:28:55 PM »

I'm delighted to hear this Linz57, it sounds really really promising. Well done you!

linz57

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 01:30:51 PM »

Thank you Dorothy and Elizabethrose. I've  heard good reports but I'll see what's what when she is back in the surgery. I'm  feeling a bit more hopeful and optimistic at the moment anyway..... Fingers crossed!
Right, now I need a cuppa and a relax......😉
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:32:30 PM by linz57 »
Pages: 1 [2]