Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: which hormone causes periods to stop  (Read 1461 times)

LW44

which hormone causes periods to stop
« on: July 27, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »

Hi
 Quick question, which hormone level drop causes periods to stop?  still really confused ..  im 45 been on oestrogen only  hrt since last yr (progestrone intolerant but being monitored by consultant) ive recently increased to 1 1/2mg a day from  1mg a day as hot flushes returned.  ive not had a period since april.. so worrying a bit, still all the mood swings and sore boobs but no period.. x

Taz2

Re: which hormone causes periods to stop
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 08:03:34 PM »

I would think that you have too little progesterone in relation to your oestrogen but I'm not an expert in this. If you have less progesterone in relation to the oestrogen then you can have mood swings, irritability, menstrual irregularities etc. This explains it but it's a bit "wordy". Worth wading through though to maybe get an answer http://www.project-aware.org/Managing/Hrt/progesterone.shtml

When did you have your last scan as progesterone is usually needed to protect you from the development of endometrial cancer?

Taz x

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 09:01:43 PM »

In a natural cycle, oestrogen causes the lining to proliferate, progesterone changes the nature of it (produced from mid-cycle) and the fall in both of these starts the period.

With sequential hrt, the drop of progestogen at the end of that phase causes the bleed.

With continuous progestogen in non-bleed hrt, the progestogen stops the proliferation of lining by oestrogen (which is low) by gradually atrophying the glands.

If you are on continuous oestrogen, lining will proliferate until the oestrogen drops and then there is a withdrawal bleed, or until there is too much - a breakthrough bleed.  Because the lining has not been changed by progestogen, it breaks off incompletely and there is bleeding from this as well as the lining.
Presumably if O is low there is not much build-up.

LW44

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 09:43:59 PM »

Thank you :-)  so am i presuming that my oestrogen levels are still low as i am not having a bleed?  or is it progestrone?  i didnt tolerate the lrogestrone at all.. caused extreme anxiety (i am prone anyway) and low mood..  so consultant said orstrogen is what i was lacking.  although if i dont have a bleed within 6 months he will have to add some progestrone..  for the first 9 months i was on oestrogen only i was having a period about every 7 weeks x