Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oral Allergy Syndrome  (Read 4174 times)

dahliagirl

Oral Allergy Syndrome
« on: July 14, 2016, 09:08:20 PM »

Hi

This is something I have a problem with.  It is related to hay fever, Silver Birch pollen in particular.

Basically, the same protein that appears on the silver birch pollen also appears on some other things like fruits, which are related to the silver birch.  It can give you similar effects to hayfever - sneezing, sinus problems, itchy mouth, sore throat.  Some people find their mouth and lips swell.

More info is found here: https://www.allergyuk.org/oral-allergy-syndrome/oral-allergy-syndrome

I think I have always had a problem as peanuts used to give me tonsillitis when I was young.  However, it has been worse in the last few years.  I have had sore throats for years.  A couple of years ago I ate a nectarine of a variety that I had not had before and my lips swelled and I got a 'trout pout'   :-*

Foods that cause me problems are: (wait for it  ::) )

Apples, pears, Peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries, hazelnuts, almonds.   Also other nuts, and peanuts are iffy.

Unexpectedly, carrots and potato peel (do not rub eyes after peeling potatoes)

Most of these are ok if cooked and the protein denatured.  They do need to be cooked properly and not 'al dente' but the nuts seem to  be impervious to this.

To complicate matters, some varieties are worse than others, so for eg Bramley apples are usually ok but cox's make me sneeze if just I handle them.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Oral Allergy Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 09:23:41 PM »

:thankyou:  Crikey!  Most of those fruits I don't like much.

Although I have had facial allergy symptoms it is never affected directly by anything, i.e. I can walk through a grass field with no problems.  Willow pollen and oil seed rape makes my chest 'tight'.

We are growing strawberries, raspberries, bl/wh/red currants and sometimes my mouth is sore if I eat too many.  Chocolate can make my mouth burn immediately as do bananas sometimes which is a nuisance 'cos I need the latter to ease restless leg syndrome.

I have had allergic rhinitis for years  ::), early 1970s.  Itchy nose, eyes, throat, back of nose, roof of mouth is the worst aspect; I wake sometimes with my tongue scratching the roof of my mouth and this last few months, have had ulcers up there  :-\ - now how does one put Bonjela on ulcers deep in the back of the mouth almost to the nose?  In fact right now all my gums are sore ………. could be the new brush I used today however I seem to remember a back-ground soreness for
months  :-\

I have used Beconase nasal spray intermittently for years but found it dries my nostrils out = dry throat and coughing  >:(

The deep itchy ears is more recent.  Due to general dryness I think.

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 06:01:32 AM »

This is so interesting. I had so many allergies as a child and young adult. I had severe asthma, eczema, hayfever, mouth swelling, hives. At age 7, I had allergy tests that showed I reacted to so many allergens. I was a rather pathetic specimen! But as I grew older, I became less sensitive, but developed food intolerances with the onset of menopause. Now I'm post menopausal, things have eased in regard to intolerances, though still not to be ignored. Both hayfever and eczema hardly effect me, though asthma is still an issue, but very well managed with medication and only of real concern in conjunction with infection. For me, aging has had some definite benefits! Hope for others?

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 09:45:02 AM »

I agree with sparkle - SLS is dreadful stuff. I use Sensodyne which is free of it, and Green people toiletries which are also free of it.  I only have to use my husband's colgate once (if I am being lazy and haven't replaced my sensodyne) and I have a row of ulcers on the inside of my bottom lip.

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 10:13:35 AM »

http://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/airway-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome/

Here is the information on the surrey allergy clinic site.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 01:36:48 PM »

We really are a Mine of info .  :thankyou:  I will check for the SLS but I do use Sensodyne ………

This morning my muesli/home grown strawberries and milk started it off  :-\ - I had the same mix yesterday with no problems but I had cleaned my teeth 10 mins. B4 eating today.

I had no allergy problems until I married and we thought it might be to my Husband  :o.  I moved from the deep Fens into the Welsh mountains = a wetter environment.  Apparently living in Oz would solve the problem  ::) ……..

Asthma and eczema 'run' together and psoriasis can run along with those.  They can also run in families.  Aggravated by stress.

Onions make me really really ill ………. the nearest that I have ever come to going on a 'trip'  :o.  If I brush against a nettle it irritates for days, makes me feel quite 'odd' at the time.  When I kept cats I had allergy symptoms which went away when we were pet free ……… a Very Good Hoover round helps ease those feelings.

Dry mouth can be problematic when people take some medications.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 01:43:28 PM »

For years due to anxiety and being anorexic-type Himself cooked the same chicken stirred with vegetables in rice every night for years.   :-*

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 01:14:41 PM »

There's an article on the web today ………